Menu

Putting aside material for the future?

CatherineG

I've been researching homeschooling since I got married last year - I've been interested since college, but now that we are starting a family in the next year or so, I'm really excited about learning more.

Do you have any curricula or resources that you consider classic or essential, that stand the test of time?

I have read about so many different history spines, math and science resources, Language Arts curricula, art materials, teach your child to read books, etc.. I'm sure there will be plenty of materials available in five to ten years when I'd potentially be homeschooling, but I'd love to stash a few things for now.. What did you like and use the most for the earlier years?

I'm reading The Well Trained Mind and checking out lots of books from the library right now. Even if we don't end up with either children or homeschooling, I find it all really interesting!

I was excited to homeschool before we had kids too. :)

My advice to you would be, rather than purchasing a stash of curriculum/books for your kids to use in the future, to spend the time and money to fill in any gaps you feel you may have in your own education. Purchase books like Adler's How to Read a Book and SWB's The Well Educated Mind and go through them.

I'd also take this time to read as much about the different methods of home education. Include books by John Holt, Ruth Beechick, Charlotte Mason, the series on A Thomas Jefferson education, David Hick's Norms and Nobility, and others. Take the time now to explore the different educations models and which could possibly be a good fit for you.

For myself, I can't say that there's one curriculum or book that I would absolutely have to have in order to homeschool (other than TWTM). Since so many new books/curriculum are being published each year, you'll likely be disappointed in spending the money on things now when they will seem so old by the time you get to using them.

Edited by plain jane

I can see collecting reference books like The Well-Trained Mind, but I can't see buying curriculum for children you don't even have yet. But I'll give you points for enthusiasm! Instead, I suggest you begin a homeschool binder. You can make lists of curriculum that you want to check into when the time comes, complete with pictures and reviews if you like! You can put articles and notes to yourself in there as well.

One thing to consider is that curriculum should be a tool and not all tools fit all jobs. There are many of us who have wanted to love a program but it doesn't suit our children at all. That could be another drawback to trying to start collecting things now. Oh, and also consider the fact that your ideas may change as the years go by. I'm a completely different homeschooler now than I was 9 years ago when I first started.

You should ask for great homeschool book recommendations. I think Ruth Beechick's books are interesting and would recommend them to someone with very young children and just starting out homeschooling.

I agree with the others that said I don't think I would start buying curriculum now. Reference books and educating yourself on the different perspecitives is a good idea.

If you *really* want to buy for the future kiddos though, I would recommend starting your own library of classics and readers. I have checked out Honey for a Child's Heart from our church library several times and it would be a good guide to use to start collecting great children's books.

I totally agree with the others who say not to buy curriculum yet, BUT I do it anyway :lol: We don't have anything like the curriculum fairs you Americans have, so often the only way we get to see something is to buy it ourselves. That is especially true for us secular homeschoolers. Don't buy anything, instead, go along to your closest curriculum fair and look at everything there.

When I was just starting out, I drew up a table on a word document, with grades down the side and subjects across the top, and set about filling it out. Of course we will change our minds a trillion times before we even start homeschooling, then another eight trillion times afterwards, but it is a useful exercise. It guides us into becoming aware of the resource options out there and helps us work out our own philosophies on the teaching of various subjects.

Then, as the others said, spend money on filling your own gaps. I'm working on Analytical Grammar and the Well Educated Mind at the moment. After AG, I'll be moving onto Latin. Luckily dh wants to learn Latin, so I promised I'd be his study buddy for that if he was my study buddy for grammar. And so he proves his love to me :D (I'm told you can learn to love diagramming sentences, but we haven't reached that point yet. :lol:) I'm hoping to start revising maths next year too.

Rosie

I also would not begin collecting curriculum but I would begin collecting good books. Check out thrift stores and garage sales you can find some wonderful books, some old books. I buy alot of nonfiction- animal, science type subjects, history, the dc love being read to and they are learning real-useful information at the same time. It takes time to build a nice library- start that now.

I also began homeschooling research before I had children...

I attended my first homeschooling convention when my oldest child was only 6 months old.

Like previous posters, I'd recommend self-education first. You won't have as much time to read later. Attend a homeschooling convention to get a look at the curricula you are interested in. One book I'd recommend that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma.

I also would not begin collecting curriculum but I would begin collecting good books. Check out thrift stores and garage sales you can find some wonderful books, some old books. I buy alot of nonfiction- animal, science type subjects, history, the dc love being read to and they are learning real-useful information at the same time. It takes time to build a nice library- start that now.

:iagree: The only curriculum I would say you should buy is if you find a used book/program that is a good deal that is also one of the really highly praised curriculum. Just because if you can get a $100 program for $5 (it happens!) you might as well pick it up, even if you don't use it!

Otherwise, work on building a library of really good books, both fiction and non-fiction. Maybe print out some of the 'Good Books' or 'Must Read' lists, and keep them with you when you shop thrift stores/garage sales.

And I love the idea of working on YOUR self-education now. That is a great suggestion (that I wouldn't have come up with myself). If you start teaching yourself latin, or advanced math, or something else you aren't strong in - you'll be that much more prepared when the time comes. And if you choose to not HS, you have still given yourself something. This is also true with just creating a home library now. If you choose not to HS, a good library benefits every child. (And good books are easy to sell/give away if you end up with no children.)

:iagree: I was going to say the same thing. Start collecting quality picture books, chapter books and nice reference books when you see them used or at thrift stores. Usborne and DK books are almost always a good buy used (especially when you're starting with nothing). Picture books are somewhat easy to judge just by looking at them - pick things that look good - when you're buying used and they're less than a dollar or so, then it's hard to go wrong. For chapter books, keep an eye out for classics and Newbery winners.

Yeah, you could read some general books on homeschooling to hone your philosophy and ideas, but mostly just read read read and take notes for possible things to use in the future.

I knew I wanted to homeschool long before I had kids, too!

My policy is to only buy good books ahead of time...no curriculum. When I had my first baby, I stocked up on picture books. When I had a preschooler, I started adding chapter books (and more picture books). Now I'm stocking up on history and science books.

I also studied lots of curriculum book lists and catalogs (Sonlight, FIAR, HOD, MFW, etc.). Many of the same books kept popping up on several lists. Those were the ones I wanted to add. When we switched to HOD this year, I already had several of the required books. :001_smile:

I, too, was excited to hs before dd was born. I did collect some materials, but by the time she got to school age (now), they had been revised, or I had changed my mind.

So, I'd do what everyone else said above. Basically, become the student you would like your future kids to be. Cultivate the love of learning and reading in your own life. Research the different styles and philosophies of hs'ing and find one that resonates with you and your hubby. Study math, Latin, history, science, etc. Buy curriculum for yourself and enjoy the journey.

Have fun!

Thank you so much for the replies! Sorry I couldn't post sooner.. We are working on moving out of our studio apartment and into a house right now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be a little over eager! Your suggestions are great and definitely more realistic than collecting things that will age on a shelf for five or more years.

I do have some sweet older used picture books set aside, and I recently compiled a list of approximately 200 highly recommended books for ages 0 - 3; purchasing them all new is likely out, but I can keep a lookout for them used and prioritize. My husband is a second grade teacher and is always bringing home a book here and there from book fairs, too. Like Holly mentioned, there seems to be overlap in some of the curricula that uses real books, which makes choosing a little easier.

I think I'll make some big old lists of curriculum (something like Rosie mentioned), just to satisfy that part of my brain that wishes to hoard stuff for a rainy day. :001_smile: It's all there for the future, without having to purchase any of it yet.

I'm sure at least a part of my desire to homeschool stems from the fact that my family moved around for my Dad's job - and while living overseas was amazing, it definitely broke my education up into incoherent pieces. I went onto college and grad school, but by ninth grade I didn't know which way was up! I do have time to read now, so I'll focus on filling in some of the gaps that bother me, and that will be worthwhile in any situation. I also absolutely love the idea of reading a ton of history and science, making art and playing music, just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Does anyone have a favorite or recommended curriculum fair in the New England region? I'm looking forward to "inviting" DH to one of those!