Menu

Top 10 Party Schools - Just what I was waiting to hear

Miss Marple

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/08/02/uga.top.party.school/index.html?hpt=Sbin

My alma mater made #9 on the list :tongue_smilie: I think it's changed a bit since the 80's :glare:

Here are the top 10 party schools:

1. University of Georgia -- Athens, Georgia

2. Ohio University -- Athens, Ohio

3. Pennsylvania State University -- University Park, Pennsylvania

4. West Virginia University -- Morgantown, West Virginia

5. University of Mississippi -- Oxford, Mississippi

6. University of Texas -- Austin, Texas

7. University of Florida -- Gainesville, Florida

8. University of California -- Santa Barbara, California

9. University of Iowa -- Iowa City

10. DePauw University -- Greencastle, Indiana

Providence College in Rhode Island swam its way to the top of lots of hard liquor category. Ohio University students gained the lead in lots of beer. The University of California at Santa Cruz is where marijuana is most widely used, according the survey.

Students at the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks claim to do the least amount of studying.

Transylvania University in Kentucky didn't make the top party schools list, but it did take the highest ranking for its Greek system.

At the opposite end of the party school scale, Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, topped the stone-cold sober list.

It was also the No. 1 school for drinking milk and for having the most religious students. It was the second top school noted for "not inhaling" and ranked third for having the most conservative students.

I think I'm going to print this out and show it to the next person who tells me that the school my son is going to is a top 10 party school! Why do people tell me, my husband or my son, "Oh, you going to Zoo Mass? (UMass Amherst) That's quite a party school." Is that supposed to encourage my son who is clearly not going there to party? It's such a put down. That really annoys me and my son to no end. I'll stop now. Thank you for listening.

Yolanda :001_huh:

My Alma Mater was on the list in the 80's and it still is! Go Gators!

However, my time at UF was one of great growth in my Christian life (along with the academics!) It's all what the student makes it to be.

So parents - don't worry too much about the reputation of the school your child is going to attend (hopefully it's reputation also includes high quality academics). If it's big enough to make the top 10 party list, then it's big enough to have all kinds of options and support for all types of students. And your child will find the group of friends that will help him/her stay on the straight and narrow - If that's what he/she intends to do!

I'm really wondering if my school made any of these lists..it certainly won't be on the party list! :D

Both my sils went to UT and neither of them are in any way partiers. They both love the school AFAIK, too. So a big school which is also a party school doesn't mean you'll be miserable if you don't want to party.

However, my time at UF was one of great growth in my Christian life (along with the academics!) It's all what the student makes it to be.

So parents - don't worry too much about the reputation of the school your child is going to attend (hopefully it's reputation also includes high quality academics). If it's big enough to make the top 10 party list, then it's big enough to have all kinds of options and support for all types of students. And your child will find the group of friends that will help him/her stay on the straight and narrow - If that's what he/she intends to do!

Thank you! :iagree:

If it's big enough to make the top 10 party list, then it's big enough to have all kinds of options and support for all types of students

This is what we've found as well. I know many parents fear sending their kids to the big state university, but my son has been so pleased with the various niches he's found - they are perfect for him.

Dh went to Penn State--I wonder how many of these schools are "party" schools because they are located in smaller towns and there's just not much to do outside of campus?

OU (Ohio U) students had the BEST Halloween party in the country when I was a student at OSU (THE Ohio State University). Not much else there...but the academics are actually ok.

I've heard good engineering schools often have a lot of pot smoking. Hmmm.

And what's worse is that I grew up in G'ville! That's hard on a high schooler. :tongue_smilie:

If partying was the only thing going on, I'd be worried. But I think it makes a huge difference when there are strong campus ministries and local churches. Certainly a chance to take a stand, and not just follow mom and dad.

Lisa

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/08/02/uga.top.party.school/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Here are the top 10 party schools:

1. University of Georgia -- Athens, Georgia

2. Ohio University -- Athens, Ohio

3. Pennsylvania State University -- University Park, Pennsylvania

4. West Virginia University -- Morgantown, West Virginia

5. University of Mississippi -- Oxford, Mississippi

6. University of Texas -- Austin, Texas

8. University of California -- Santa Barbara, California

9. University of Iowa -- Iowa City

10. DePauw University -- Greencastle, Indiana

...and people wonder why I quit teaching at UGA. Between that and the emphasis on sports.....sigh

Yes, In the 70's there was the bank burning incident...BUT, there is also the Nobel peace prize winners of the 90's and 2000's. It seems like UCSB's reputation is solely based on it's halloween partying tradition. We love this campus and would be thrilled if our third child attended there for science or law!

UCSB was #1 when I was there. They've dropped!

Still got a good education. Had the most amazing Shakespeare professor and some really wonderful English professors. When I read some poetry to my son, I hear some of my professors. :001_smile:

I was not a partier, but boy was Isla Vista a slum.

I miss the ocean, the bike paths, the Arlington theater, the weather, the excellent bus system.

I don't miss burning couches in the street.

Yes, In the 70's there was the bank burning incident...BUT, there is also the Nobel peace prize winners of the 90's and 2000's. It seems like UCSB's reputation is solely based on it's halloween partying tradition. We love this campus and would be thrilled if our third child attended there for science or law!

I went to UCSB from 1990-1994, and I agree. The reputation is pretty much solely based on Halloween. It's a bit silly really. It's always on that list, and apart from one little stretch of Isla Vista (the college community just off campus), there was very little partying in sight, even on weekends.

My husband went to UC Davis for undergrad and graduate school, and we were a graduate student family in Davis for several years. There was FAR more partying there, both on and off campus, than I ever saw at UCSB.

I went to UCSB from 1990-1994, and I agree. The reputation is pretty much solely based on Halloween. It's a bit silly really. It's always on that list, and apart from one little stretch of Isla Vista (the college community just off campus), there was very little partying in sight, even on weekends.

My husband went to UC Davis for undergrad and graduate school, and we were a graduate student family in Davis for several years. There was FAR more partying there, both on and off campus, than I ever saw at UCSB.

Wild... I was there from 90-94 (Dh was 89-93). I lived on DP for 2 years & every weekend I saw a lot of partying (or heard a ton of it). I never lived on campus though - Trop the first two years, then an apartment on DP. It seemed that every year at least one student fell off the cliffs from being drunk.

It seemed that I biked to campus past a burned out couch at least once a month. I never understood the point of burning furniture. :confused:

Wild... I was there from 90-94 (Dh was 89-93). I lived on DP for 2 years & every weekend I saw a lot of partying (or heard a ton of it). I never lived on campus though - Trop the first two years, then an apartment on DP. It seemed that every year at least one student fell off the cliffs from being drunk.

It seemed that I biked to campus past a burned out couch at least once a month. I never understood the point of burning furniture. :confused:

Hehe... DP was the one stretch of Isla Vista that I was referring to in my post. :) That's where I remember all the parties going on. The rest of IV was pretty tame.

I lived on campus my freshman year, in Anacapa, then lived in an apartment in IV (on Camino Del Sur). After that, I rented a house with friends in Winchester Canyon (just outside of Goleta.)