Menu

old

One thing I do when faced with so many books is to start with only a couple of subjects a day and then add another when I have the others going smoothly. I have 4 kids whose ages are spread out, so I understand.

But it does get easier as they get older. They learn to teach themselves.

Yes, that is all you are doing for a while, but that is OK, isn't it? Teaching our kids is a huge, wonderful task, so it is expected to take a lot of time when done right. :o) It is worth it in the end when you discover the relationships you build with your kids and how ready they are to face the world when they are older because of the time invested with Mom.

Mary

I am looking at the piles of books on the floor and feeling absolutely overwhelmed!

I thought I had next year's schedule in the bag: a mixture of TOG and BJU to cover all subjects (with The Easy Spanish thrown in if possible). I don't need to reinvent the wheel and drive myself crazy .... right? But now that I actually have all the books, and am trying to imagine a schedule ..... I will have room for nothing else in my life but teaching these kids AAARRGH!

There is just so much to get done, and p.s. looks more and more inviting. Dh is about to go through a company buyout (will perhaps be unemployed or self-employed for a while), and I am currently waiting on our IOWA scores for the year (always a stressor). But is anyone else ready to just chuck it and head for the hills?? :auto:

Start out subject-by-subject, and get your schedule straight. I know what you mean. I school on 4 different grade levels, and I feel like a crazy woman sometimes. Every year when I get my curriculum I only go through one subject at a time, trying to figure some kind of a schedule out. Take your core subjects and schedule them in, then add a little at a time until you get in a routine. You'll do great. You are right when you say that you feel like you won't have time to do anything but teach your dc. That is a lot of how my life is. But I've taken on the attitude that this is my job and privilege so I'm going to bloom where I'm planted. I just offer you encouragement in knowing that we all completely know how you are feeling, and you are totally ok to feel like that! Let us know how it works out for you. The moms and dads here can really help you out with a schedule if you need too!

I was there 2 years ago. I taught 3 children using different materials for each child and each level. If was awful! So I switched to Abeka dvd's. That was awful too!! I put my children is ps in Jan. because of the severe burnout. That was a good decision because it has given me time to re-evaluate school and showed me how little time is spent in actual instruction.

Ps is not the best fit for our family so I had to make a way to combine subjects and ages at every turn. My main criteria is to stay streamlined. To do that I truly had to abandon "traditional school at home" mentality. I also had to respect that there is no way to cram everything the kids "should" know into 13 years. They will have gaps no matter where they get their education.

If you can't teach 5 different subjects to 3 (or however many) different children 5 days a week then DON'T. Take some time to seriously prioritize then drop what will push you over the edge. Put lots of thought into why you hs because that will remain your motivating factor.

Rather than worry about having all the "correct" and "proper" subjects. Have you thought about just sitting down and making a list for each child what skills they really need to work on this year and just focus on those and let the rest of the learning come through the library and such.

Basically, what I am talking about is say you have a child going into 2nd grade:

How is their reading ability? Do they need more phonics or can they just read books on their own?

You need something for math? Does the child need you to sit next to them through the whole lesson or can you show them how to do the new concepts and let them do the work on their own?

How is penmanship? Are they ready for cursive or do you want to hold off for a year?

Once you have the 3 r's figured out you can just let them check out library books and relax about the rest of it and add the "extras" in slowly as they are asking for more to do.

You can really go through the checklist with any age.

Just an idea on something you can do to help organize your thought more rather than stare at all that curriculum. The curriculum is supposed to bend to meet your dc needs not overwhelm and rule the household.

Good Luck!:001_smile:

Great ideas here!

I only have 2, but the secret for me has been combine, combine, combine. This means my oldest isn't starting Latin until next year (gently) even though thats 5th grade- I waited until youngest was a good enough reader to bring her in, too. And youngest gets the short end of the stick science wise- I aim for the oldest's level and then explain it down, use library books, etc for her. Ditto history- we are on a 5 year rotation and it started with my oldest in K, youngest is along for the ride. Spanish? I require more from my oldest, but they learn the same things vocab-wise.

It does still take a lot of time though!

Our situation isn't at all like yours, but we do have to employ a strategy that combines lots of subjects. My kiddos are 9th grade, 7th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st, with a preschooler, a baby, and another baby due this month. If I were to sit amongst a pile of textbooks for each child, I'm afraid I would do more than head for the hills!

I recently posted a series of blog entries on the topic of altering school for a difficult season. This is the last post, but there are others that go back a few days. I hope it's helpful to you, because although homeschooling is a lifestyle that tends to run our days, it shouldn't stress us out so much that the only foreseeable option is to put the kids back into a system that is failing, at best.

You ARE the best teacher for your children; you just need a boost of confidence, a little rest, and a tall drink of (insert favorite soothing beverage). Heck, I've even taught my 13yo how to make a really fantastic chai frappuccino. My own personal barista for the most difficult days!;)

I will say the traditional school at home will lead to burn out at some point . We have been using Calvert for 3 years now and I'm right there on the verge of burnout and its not fun . I have a million and one things going on as well and it doesn't get easier. My suggestion is to simplify even more . I would take this time and reevaluate maybe some simpler curriculum . I would replace the BJU with something like Christian Light or ACE . These are two independent curriculums and would free up some of your time when it comes to teaching . Keep the TOG and read the stories .

I did this one year when I had Sonlight . I purchased ACE School of tomorrow and just read the stories out of the Sonlight K that I had and let me tell you that was one WONDERFUL year that I'm getting to a point I want back .

My girls were able to read the instructions in the workbooks and get their goals done and I was able to sit back and read the wonderful stories from Sonlight . I believe my daughters want this back too . Of course I stayed involved with what they were learning out of the workbooks .

I totally agree with Kendra . Homeschooling is a lifestyle , it shouldn't stress us out so much that the only foreseeable option is to put our kids back into a system that is failing in the first place . So if you feel that this curriculum is too much by all means USE SOMETHING DIFFERENT ! Simplify . Just because alot of families use TOG or BJU doesn't mean you have to . It also doesn't mean that someday you CAN use these curriculums . Just that right now is not the best time to use them .

There are three more independent learning curriculums : Christian Light , Ace School of Tomorrow and Alpha Omega . I would look into these . See which one would be best. Even if you have your older children use these its a start .

You can be there for them whenever they have questions . I can't tell you the relief I read from some parents that chose to use these type of curriculums when they need to do it . There is no right or wrong way . Just the way that works for your family .

HTH .

I'm about to add my 3rd kid to the mix and just *imagining a schedule*, as you put it, makes me hyperventilate. Even with "non-traditional" schoolbooks, there is still a lot of one-on-one time that needs to happen.

I have no solution- just lots of commiseration.

Hey, and where is that trailhead anyway? I'm putting my hiking boots on :D

Feeling like you are going to be home schooling all day (and we do sometimes with more than a couple peeps) is exhausting. You need your battery recharged for sure.... so you can effectively home school.

We had Spring break 2 weeks ago, but it didn’t feel like a break at all. I am going through some things….. hormonal.. yuck... it stinks getting older... and I’m having a hard time focusing... this entire year has felt this way. I am behind in our schedule... I worry... but then talk myself out of it. I’m going through my own changes! J

As long as my kids are progressing and learning, I will rest in that. Its like a constant battle in my mind... Oh my gosh... we are not here, or we have not gotten to this chapter yet.... it just adds to my already crazy brain!

This week we have had light school in all areas, but no extras... the kids know what is expected daily, they are old enough for that.... But I have to do this for my sanity! I have been doing this for a long time, and when I loose my identity, or passion, I have to step back a little. I have not even begun to plan “next†year…. I just can’t… and I don’t want to. I do have a general idea…. But this is already a crazy time for me, I just can’t add anything else in at the moment.

I was thinking this morning about our home schooling, and over the last 13 years, I have had some great years, but even during the good times I have had challenging seasons... and during not so good years, have had blessings.... and each year I am reminded... just like with life, our "school†is also going to be in seasons. We are so different from any type of school... these are our children, our family....and we are not teaching the same grade every year like most teachers! It changes as our children grow and change! Not only are our schools shifting yearly, but their personalities, abilities, "attitudes" are changing and growing. It’s a lot of work sister! We don’t just teach academics and let them go home… they are home… its academics, life skills, behavior, for some spiritual etc, etc…. We as home school moms are a rare breed I tell ya!

May I encourage you to step back, take some time to accomplish something other than school at the moment.... say a few field trips maybe.... a couple of park days, have a friend over for lunch and let the kids enjoy the company... recharge that battery and then pull school out a subject at a time and do what you need to do.

If you can take some time and evaluate you may find what you chose is just not going to work, or maybe you will have renewed vision.....but above all.... remember....home schooling is a journey, and no matter how hard we try...school really never ends... so I say step back, put your feet up, and take a breath of fresh air my dear! :thumbup:

Hope this all made sense, and not a ramble....I hope the best for you!!

Take courage!

I am looking at the piles of books on the floor and feeling absolutely overwhelmed!

I thought I had next year's schedule in the bag: a mixture of TOG and BJU to cover all subjects (with The Easy Spanish thrown in if possible). I don't need to reinvent the wheel and drive myself crazy .... right? But now that I actually have all the books, and am trying to imagine a schedule ..... I will have room for nothing else in my life but teaching these kids AAARRGH!

There is just so much to get done, and p.s. looks more and more inviting. Dh is about to go through a company buyout (will perhaps be unemployed or self-employed for a while), and I am currently waiting on our IOWA scores for the year (always a stressor). But is anyone else ready to just chuck it and head for the hills?? :auto:

:iagree:

I don't know how old your kids are, but with very young kids, I would say scale back to the basics - the 3 R's - while you take time to reasses and readjust what you're doing.

The advice given here is excellent. That's why I love this board :)

And yes, ps will show you just how little time is actually spend in learning. Equalling that means you're giving your children an education. Anything more than that is icing on the cake (in public/societal terms) and you can be encouraged by that. KNOW that whatever you do, you're doing more for your kids than ps would do.

:grouphug:

~Caryn~

(who has been through exactly the same thing in the last few months with her K5'er and pre-k'er (I know :blushing:. What am I going to subject them to when they're actually meant to be learning "lots") Thanks to the mamas on this board we scaled back and we are actually beginning to enjoy learning once again.)

I think the first thing to do is relax.:001_smile: If God has called you to do this, He will give you the ability to do it. I used mostly BJU for my 5th grade daughter this year and BJU K Math and A Beka K4 phonics for my Pre-K son. My stack of books is daunting, also. If I tried to do everything in the BJU teacher's editions it would be overwhelming, even though I only have 2. I spent some time last summer going through them making a general lesson plan for the year. Then as I came to each chapter, I looked through the specifics and picked out just what activities I wanted to do. We did all of the math and English, which including a lot of writing projects. We did their reading/Book Links, but not every single lesson. With history, I would cover material from the book with her, then hand her off to her Daddy to do more intense studies of certain topics (He's a high school history teacher). They would pull out maps, go to the internet, watch movies, etc. She did SOS science, so I had no planning to do there. It was actually one of her favorite things this year. I used Homeschool Tracker for keeping up with assignments and grades. You can get a basic version free online. Something else is that my linen closet is my homeschool storage place. We store all the linens in the appropriate rooms. I have kept a lot of my materials in dishpans, so that I can sort them by child and pick up and carry around as needed. Hope this helps!

My 2 cents. I have looked at programs like TOG and I must admit, they do a lot more than we cover. They're very comprehensive. We love history and it is central to what we do, but I have found any one else's structure is more work than the simple reading and writing and discussion we do and enjoy.

So, even though packages may seem to simplify things, I think they also have the potential to be so thorough and comprehensive that if you use text books and packages for every subject, you would end up with a LOT of work to get through.

You've received some great words of wisdom. Thanks for posting about your frustrations.... It's obvious you're not alone:001_huh:.

I guess that with respect to the ps topic..... I would say, look hard before you leap. I placed my 2 youngest in ps this semester for several reasons. Chiefly, I guess, because I just wasn't getting the job done. We had gone through a big move, and lost a lot of school time, and the boys were falling behind. Placing them in ps did give me some breathing room and allow me to catch my breath and regroup. It also made me realize (again) that I actually am the best-suited to teach my dc.

It's almost the end of the school year. Will you be taking the summer off? I think that sometimes we just get TIRED at this time of year. Several posters talked about how it feels like schooling is all we do. That is certainly true for me. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to put the books away until you're done with this year, and have had a little time off. After having a bit of summer fun, you might just feel rejuvenated.

Also, I agree with the posters who suggested streamlining and combining. My boys will be joining us at home again next month, and I'm looking forward to a relaxed, combined (with my 3 youngest) history and Bible program. Just a lot of reading and narration. They love that! It doesn't even feel like school to them. A friend of mine just gave me a whole box of Right Start math games and materials. So I'm even considering JUST PLAYING MATH GAMES NEXT MONTH!!!! Yikes!! So out of character for me! I am so type A and so focused on orderly progression.

Well, it's springtime! Anything could happen! I'm going to enjoy myself and my dc next month while I school. Who knows, maybe we'll just re-discover a love for learning.

Wishing you the best on your journey,

Jackie

I have had a very rough year this year. My ds is fighting everything! He has had a terrible attitude the 2nd half of this year. It's finally something he really needs to work at and he's a laid back kinda kid who doesn't want to work too hard! I feel like we're getting there, but I've been burned out! I'm exhausted and thinking I can't keep this up! My dd is ahead by at least a full year, probably a bit more, but I just can't seem to keep up with her pace and deal with my ds who sees how easily it comes for her and becomes incredibly discouraged.

Anyway, I will be taking these posts to heart. I will be stepping back and we start spring break next week. If that's not enough, maybe we'll school-lite for the rest of the year.

I've been realizing more and more that for me homeschooling is a lifestyle and I'm needing to find ways to make it more enjoyable for all concerned. No this doesn't mean it ALL has to be fun, but we need to have fun and not just plug on and do the next thing! KWIM?

Thanks to the OP for posting this and to all the ladies who shared their tidbits of wisdom!