Menu

First day of school today XP

Sadly, that means 20 min. in the a.m. for computer time :001_huh: That's like walking through the forest of lions, tigers, and bears! OH MY!

I'm looking forward to a great day and an easy transition into the coming year. Pray for me, please, that I would be gentle and patient and remember to push the fun button as often as possible.

It also means our first day of full time high school --- :001_huh: I'm prepared, but a wee bit nervous!

Hope ya'll have a great day, too. I'll miss our hours of time together, sweet hive!

Hi Tina,

First day for us too, as well as first day of high school. The child is having an extremely hard time rising from bed. :001_huh: I have high hopes for this year and for the next 4. I guess that's always a good way to start. I find myself overflowing with sentimental slop since this child is my last and, for the first time, it will be just the two of us. I hope to blog about it later just to help myself let it go. :D

Hi Tina,

First day for us too, as well as first day of high school. The child is having an extremely hard time rising from bed. :001_huh: I have high hopes for this year and for the next 4. I guess that's always a good way to start. I find myself overflowing with sentimental slop since this child is my last and, for the first time, it will be just the two of us. I hope to blog about it later just to help myself let it go. :D

I was thinking about that this morning. In a few short year (4) I'll be down to only 2 dc in school (unless I continue schooling my dgs). I am looking forward to it and thinking about how easy it will seem!

FWIW, we didn't get out of bed well either...looks like an 8pm bedtime tonight? Crazy.

Looking forward to reading how things go. We won't be starting yet, since dh has insisted I stop obessing about school and take a break. He is of course right about this. Anyway, have a great first day of school!!

We have several more weeks to go before we start on the 23rd. My 12th grader will be doing almost everything at the cc, which will be a big change from just taking two classes/semester. The only thing she'll be doing at home is Thinkwell Government/Economics.

I'm still figuring things out for my 10th grader. I think we've decided on her electives for 10th grade: Python programming (actually started that in February), Visual Link Spanish (started in June), piano (also started in June), and Personal Finance (spring or summer).

Tina and Stephanie I'm joining you on this first day of high school. In getting everything together yesterday, I realized that my involvement will be more this year than last - yeah!!!! :) But there still isn't much to do until she's finished her work and it's time for correcting. Lots more to correct this year. She had set her alarm and was up at 6AM! :tongue_smilie: I have so got to get to bed earlier if she's going to be waking us up that early. :lol: I'm curious to see how long her day is. She still has a couple of classes that won't start until September, so I'm hoping she's got the rest of this down to a manageable time by then.

Thank you Karin! My dd knows a lot of high schoolers who are finishing up last year's work - you're not alone. We're starting very early this year to help reduce the stress of finishing "on time" and to hopefully give her a longer summer next year. Honestly it's been so incredibly hot this summer that we probably should have just kept going and taken our "summer" break in the fall.

I've prayed for all of you starting. My dd still hasn't finished last year's work yet, so I'm impressed that you're all ready to go so soon.

Thanks! It's was a little more stressful than I had hoped but at least we got everything done I had on my agenda. How can one 14yo stress me out so much? :tongue_smilie:

About getting up...

Families handle this differently, but I've let my teens sleep in throughout high school. Not til noon, but til 9 or so. It makes them less grumpy and gives me the morning to attend to other matters. It is one of the benefits to homeschooling, in my opinion, to not have to be up at the crack of dawn and to let my kids follow their own body clocks. Our local high school STARTS at 7:30am, which to me is barbaric!

And, by the way, welcome to high school!!

About getting up...

Families handle this differently, but I've let my teens sleep in throughout high school. Not til noon, but til 9 or so. It makes them less grumpy and gives me the morning to attend to other matters. It is one of the benefits to homeschooling, in my opinion, to not have to be up at the crack of dawn and to let my kids follow their own body clocks.

:iagree: This is what we do too! They learn better because they're more awake and ready later on. If they get everything done during the day, then it doesn't really matter what time they do it, imho! :001_smile:

:iagree: This is what we do too! They learn better because they're more awake and ready later on. If they get everything done during the day, then it doesn't really matter what time they do it, imho! :001_smile:

I hear you both and I wish I could lighten up there. We tried this and the problem was, *I* would have to meet with him around 7pm. I can't do it. Outside activities usually take me by then, or I'm just beat (I'm up at 5-5:30 daily).

I did compromise with him. If he finishes a large majority of his work by lunch, I allow an hour nap in the afternoon. I think this will work out. In essence, I told him I would love him to sleep more so he wasn't such a...butt...however, he has to earn it. We'll see.

I wrestled with his older brother and younger sister (both in a heavy puberty year) last year, I really don't want to do it again. Poor kid -- mom's over it by the time he gets there! Joking, of course, but I am over it, I just won't deny his right of passage :)

About getting up...

Families handle this differently, but I've let my teens sleep in throughout high school. Not til noon, but til 9 or so. It makes them less grumpy and gives me the morning to attend to other matters. It is one of the benefits to homeschooling, in my opinion, to not have to be up at the crack of dawn and to let my kids follow their own body clocks. Our local high school STARTS at 7:30am, which to me is barbaric!

And, by the way, welcome to high school!!

How do people do this with outside activities? We usually leave the house by 3 every day for gymnastics, band etc. School work has to be finished before that and preferably enough before that to have time to get ready without a panicked rush.

How do people do this with outside activities? We usually leave the house by 3 every day for gymnastics, band etc. School work has to be finished before that and preferably enough before that to have time to get ready without a panicked rush.

This is the issue for us as well. We have baseball pretty much every night so both of us need time to get our chores done before we have to leave.

Hi Tina~

When you asked us to pray for you to be gentle and patient, I thought of the book I've been reading:

"How to Talk, So KidsCan Learn", of course by the same author as "How to Talk, So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Can Talk"- by Adele Faber ( LINK HERE )

I'm not finished reading it- but I read the second title above a couple years ago (I need to reread it!)

They're interesting and thought provoking.

:)

Hi Tina~

When you asked us to pray for you to be gentle and patient, I thought of the book I've been reading:

"How to Talk, So KidsCan Learn", of course by the same author as "How to Talk, So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Can Talk"- by Adele Faber ( LINK HERE )

I'm not finished reading it- but I read the second title above a couple years ago (I need to reread it!)

They're interesting and thought provoking.

:)

Thank you. I'll put both titles on my "nightstand" list.

This is the issue for us as well. We have baseball pretty much every night so both of us need time to get our chores done before we have to leave.
I hear ya on that! Lots to juggle some days! We were ALWAYS done by 3pm! Usually by 4. If oldest was not done, then he'd have "homework" in the evenings or on the weekend.