Menu

Are our swimsuits ruined?

We went swimming in a lake yesterday and my kids wore their (brand new) rash guard UV shirts. When they got our of the lake, there were little black spots that almost look just like mildew all over the shirts and their swim suit bottoms.

I soaked them overnight in Oxyclean and then washed them this morning - but the spots are still there. I have not put them in the dryer, though.

What could the spots be? Algae?

Are our suits ruined? :crying:

Any ideas how to get rid of the spots? (other than bleach - I think that would ruin the suits for sure )

Strange. I've been swimming in dozens of different lakes, and I've never seen anything like that. Perhaps it's a problem with the fabric of the suits. I'd call the manufacturer, maybe try to get a refund. That shouldn't have happened. And you could possibly try soaking them in vinegar, see if that does anything.

I have never had that happen to any rash guard suits - and we have bought them from several places over several years. The oil theory sounds insteresting and plausible. I wouldn't think mildew would happen that fast and be that permanent.

My 2 got sand embedded in the fabric of their suits somehow. I can stretch it and scratch it out, and it's definitely sand, but doesn't come out in the wash (it's been about 15 washes by now). I don't know how they did it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the fabric so I'm just living with it. It seems the rash guards picked up much more than the bottoms (skirts), even though they are made of the same fabric from the same company. :confused:

My dd ruined a brand-new suit this way. We never figured out what it was, and her two sisters swam in the same lake and didn't have it happen (though it could be she went in at a different time from them - it was while we were at a cabin on a lake for a few days). I also could never figure out how to get the spots out...

My 2 got sand embedded in the fabric of their suits somehow. I can stretch it and scratch it out, and it's definitely sand, but doesn't come out in the wash (it's been about 15 washes by now). I don't know how they did it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the fabric so I'm just living with it. It seems the rash guards picked up much more than the bottoms (skirts), even though they are made of the same fabric from the same company. :confused:

This is my experience too. It drove me INSANE last summer, until I finally realized it was sand. We're just living with it too, but I was able to remove some of it by stretching the suits with my hands and running hard, fast water from the inside out.

ETA: By any chance, are they Lands End rashguards? I've only really noticed this with our Lands End suits, and I've not been thrilled with their quality either :( Maybe the material is more porous or something?

ETA: By any chance, are they Lands End rashguards? I've only really noticed this with our Lands End suits, and I've not been thrilled with their quality either :( Maybe the material is more porous or something?

YES! They are Land's End. It actually does look like sand. (and the sand at the beach was a gritty/fine sand so that very well could be it.)

We have some Goo Gone, and I think I'll give that a try...I've tried a bunch of other stuff with no luck, and I figure it couldn't look any worse than it does now.

And ...mental note to myself...Do not buy WHITE rashguard shirts again! :rolleyes:

YES! They are Land's End. It actually does look like sand. (and the sand at the beach was a gritty/fine sand so that very well could be it.)

We have some Goo Gone, and I think I'll give that a try...I've tried a bunch of other stuff with no luck, and I figure it couldn't look any worse than it does now.

And ...mental note to myself...Do not buy WHITE rashguard shirts again! :rolleyes:

If it is sand, I have heard of people stretching the shirt and using a tooth brush to nudge the sand out.

Wow, this really sucks... I wouldn't have imagined that sand would have got lodged in the weave.