Menu

Suburban owners--love it? Hate it? Thoughts?

Caitilin

We got our first 'beast' 8 years ago off of ebay (1998 model)... that was a GREAT car... low maintenance, great mileage (for a Suburban--18-19 mpg in the hill country!).

Sadly it was totaled in a bad accident this past March (dh and 7 teenage girls were rear ended at high speed)... injuries were severe but all have since recovered--it was amazing how well the design of the vehicle absorbed so much of the impact.

We recently purchased a 2003 as a replacement... still miss the 1998... but this one is fine too.

We have a 2003 Suburban. Love it. It easily carries a Samoyed, two car seats, a teenager (plus friend or two), two adults, camping gear and stuff for all of the above and tows a 18 foot boat. I love having the four wheel drive.

We were in a pretty serious accident when ds was a baby and I was pregnant with dd. We hit a concrete guardrail going about 60 mph. Other than $17,000 worth of damage to the front end, the car was fine. I was the only injury - broken wrist from the airbags. It could have been a lot worse. We refer to the Suburban as "the tank".

Only thing I don't like is parking it. That thing is huge.

LOVE IT!! We never live close to family so this car has it all for us. We can easily pack our three kids, 2 dogs and all our luggage in this car. I also seem to always find myself with extra kids so it's nice to have the space.

Ours is a 2003 Yukon XL with 115,000 miles and we have never had any issues other than typical maintenance. I hope to replace this one, when I have to, with another XL or Suburban.

My family drove one in the 70's so this was what I learned to drive in...at the time, I felt like a dork but it held ALL my friends and looking back, it was one of the safest rides around for a new driver!! Yeah, a weird brownish-gold Suburban...I don't think my kids would be too excited about learning to drive in something like that now!!!