Menu

School Sports Poll

School Sports  

1. 1. School Sports

• Allow hs to participate in public school sports
    • Don't allow hs to participate in ps sports
    • Would put child in public school just for sports
    • Would not put child in public school just for sports

My oldest daughter is entering public highschool this year, hasn't hs since 3rd grade, and will play on the high school soccer team. A friend of hers, a homeschooler, wants to play on the high school team as well and her skills actually puts her as one of the best players on the team. She is playing summer soccer with them currently. The schoolboard has left it up to the principal and coaches to decide whether a homeschooler can participate in the school sports. The head coach wants K to play, primarily because she is extremely good, scholarship potential even, and my dh, the assistant coach is in favor as well. However, the principal is against it and she gets final say. Of course since we homeschool each of our kids until 3rd grade and longer if they choose, we are pro homeschool. We also dont' see the downside of allowing hs kids that can make the teams to play. Their parents pay huge taxes to the schools even though they don't use it. They have the documentation to prove grades and such. Why not? The principal sees it as a promotion of homeschooling which she is against. At highschool age many homeschoolers return to school solely to participate in sports for scholarship purposes. K plays with a homeschool group but in this area it isnt' very big or as good as public school sports. So what do you say? Should it be allowed? Would you put your potential scholarship child back in public school just for the sports? Or maybe you would be one that wanted to have as little do with the school system as necessary especially considering our state has virtually no regulations. some think it might allow the school system to be more demanding on homeschooling requirements. What say you?

Wow, this kind of thing really gets me cranky. Does this family pay taxes in the county that the school is in? If so, then she should have full benefits of enjoying what the school has to offer (a school that is benefiting from their taxes but at no expense to the school). Argh. That bugs me.

I have two very sporty kids and we do everything possible that the schools provide. Our schools here are very open to the hs-ers participating in anything the school has to offer.

ETA: OK, I wouldn't put my dc IN school just so they could play but I would absolutely make sure they COULD participate while we continued to hs.

In Texas, high school sports (and some other activities) are governed by the UIL and they have strict attendance and academic standards that students must meet in order to participate, which excludes homeschoolers, and I am fine with that. In most sports, a student can play private/select/club and still be seen by college recruiters as much if not more than in high school ball. Most of the elite athletes play private/club ball anyway even if they do play for school, too.

We also have "no pass-no play" and documentation of grades is a big deal. Schools have had to forefit games and return championships for playing inelligible players. I can see where school administration does not want to have to rely on the say-so of a teacher out of their own jursidiction to confirm the eligibility of players. Also, what's to say that the grades a homeschool child is given are "legitimate" by the school standards? The school has set a certain schedule of classes with a certain expectaion of performance measured by their grading system and they have no way of holding a homeschool student accountable to that system. Just allowing a parent to say they are passing isn't comparing apples to apples.

Now I am not saying that the schools should be able to require these things of homeschoolers and ademantly oppose any move towards doing so, but since those are the standards required of the students who attend the public school in order to participate in sports, it would be unfar not to require the same of every member of the team, including those that homeschool, and I just don't see that being possible or desirable.

I can also see the situation happening where Little Johnny is in danger of becoming ineligible for sports because he can't pass his classes, so Momma withdraws him to "homeschool" him and lo and behold, suddenly Little Johnny has all A's and is eligible by Momma's homeschool standards. And we all can guess how much schooling would actually be taking place if Momma was more worried about sports than Little Johnny's grades in the first place.

JMHO!

I would expect a home schooled child to be able to play school sports...but I would also expect this to require more oversight by the school. They may want to monitor the grades during the sports season to make sure the child is passing. They may want to verify the course work is high school level and that the child is taking classes that would enable him/her to graduate i.e. credit worthy classes. There is person in the school district here who monitors the home school students that want credit under the actual school districts purview, not just a home school diploma. I would expect a person like this to be involved.

I would not put a child in public highschool for sports only. Kids are scouted off of private sports teams all the time. If the familiy is looking for scholarships there are other ways to get them.

In Florida, homeschooled children are allowed to play school sports just the same as their PS counterparts. Of course you have to make the team and maintain a 2.0 GPA but you still get to the chance to play. DS played for the middle school team this year and plans to play for the high school next year. I wasn't real impressed with the attitude or the language of the coach or some of the other children but he really wants to play so I'm trying to get past that.

If the coaches would like for the homeschooled kids to play, and the principal is being a butt about it, I would write a letter to the superintendent of the school district, or call his or her office and request an appointment with them, and then I would very politely discuss the issue with them.

I'd let them know that we as school taxpayers are interested in having our homeschooled children participate in some of the school's extra-curricular activities. I'd let them know that MANY schools allow this. I'd let them know that our children are very interested and would make an asset to the team. I'd let them know that the coaches, both head and assistant, are in favor of this.

Then I'd let them know that the principal is against it because she is against homeschooling in general and that I think it is a shame that her personal homeschooling prejudices are causing her to make a decision that is against what the parent, child and coach like, and can the superintendent do anything to help us out.

It may work!

I would definitely try that before even considering putting a kid back into public school just for the sports.

But if all else failed and I had a high school student who REALLY thought high school sports would be college scholarship material and that was the route THEY wanted to follow, and they were ASKING to go to public school because of this- then I would not stand in their way.

Here homeschoolers are not allowed on the school teams. It's up to the districts, and ours has said no. So we have a friend who put her ds back into the ps highschool to play soccer. I don't know what we'll do when the time comes. K isn't really all that athletic, so it likely won't be an issue, but R really is, so who knows? I'm inclined to say we wouldn't ps just for that reason, but if there are other benefits, or really *no* other sport options for that age, I'm not sure.

Look how far Tim Tebow has come! :)

Great example! (Of course, he's from here and UF is my school, so maybe i'm biased:))

But yes, Florida allows homeschoolers to play on (or at least try out for) the local ps sports teams. Thank goodness, because this was a concern of my DH since our DS is huge into sports.

I am curious for those that are saying that homeschoolers chould be allowed to play sports in the public high school, would you still say that if it required more oversight from homeschoolers, such as proof of grades, attendance records, curriculum equivelant to public school courses, etc.?

I am not trying to be snarky, just curious; because honestly if I was a parent of a PS kid who struggled to stay eligible and a homescool kid waltzed onto the team and just had to have their parent say they were passing to be able to play, I would not be happy about it. Also, no one has yet addressed my scenario about Little Johnny being pulled from PS to homeschool so he can stay eligible. And yes, I can see that being a very real scenario here in Texas.

If there were no attendance or academic requirements to participate in high school sports, then I might agree that homeschoolers should have the same opportunity. But I do agree with attendance and academic standards for extra-curriculars and there is no way that homeschoolers can be held to the same standards as public schoolers without becoming public schoolers at home. No thanks!

My dd is built to be an athlete...I am already thinking about this problem...what if she is good enough for a college scholarship in a high school sport with no other options. I would put her in the high school but again she has the potential to excel in sports. If she was only a good player but not olympic/scholarship I would have to weigh the benefit of ps sports and other offerings of the ps compared to what I can offer her in my homeschool.

Here kids have to be in PS 90% of the time in order to participate in high school sports. For soccer, basketball, gymnastics and swimming among others, it doesn't matter because leagues outside of schools are scouted by colleges just as much as ps are. However, football for example has no option if they want scholarships. There are homeschool teams, but they aren't scouted.

I think homeschool kids should be able to play. I don't have any problem with requiring proof of attendance and grades. If the homeschooler doesn't want to comply, they don't play.

I didn't answer the part about would I put a child in just for sports. If they really wanted it, I probably would. My dd is a competitive gymnast. She's only 11, but she is a natural athlete. If she decides to switch to a sport that she can't do outside of ps or becomes good enough for scholarships and needs ps to get them (doesn't apply in gymnastics) and wanted to go back to ps, I would follow her lead on that decision.

I am curious for those that are saying that homeschoolers chould be allowed to play sports in the public high school, would you still say that if it required more oversight from homeschoolers, such as proof of grades, attendance records, curriculum equivelant to public school courses, etc.?

I am not trying to be snarky, just curious; because honestly if I was a parent of a PS kid who struggled to stay eligible and a homescool kid waltzed onto the team and just had to have their parent say they were passing to be able to play, I would not be happy about it. Also, no one has yet addressed my scenario about Little Johnny being pulled from PS to homeschool so he can stay eligible. And yes, I can see that being a very real scenario here in Texas.

If there were no attendance or academic requirements to participate in high school sports, then I might agree that homeschoolers should have the same opportunity. But I do agree with attendance and academic standards for extra-curriculars and there is no way that homeschoolers can be held to the same standards as public schoolers without becoming public schoolers at home. No thanks!

Hm I hadn't really thought about it, but I do see your point. My first instinct was that homeschoolers pay school taxes and should be able to participate. But I agree that it wouldn't be fair for them to not have to prove the same things public schooled kids have to prove in order to participate.

And I certainly WOULDN'T want to have that level of accountability to the schools.

So if that were the case I would have to see how serious my kid was about it. As a hobby though, or just for fun, I wouldn't raise a fuss. I'd skip it and sign up for like the town sports instead of the school ones. The towns have summer baseball and soccer for instance.

I voted to allow homeschool kids to participate! It is law here that hs kids ARE allowed to. That is because we ARE taxpayers. My dd will start volleyball with the ps middle school starting August 15! She is very excited!

Now this IS depending on what the PS requires. I dont know about all of that-- but I would be happy to let you know what our ps system is going to require for her to be involved if anybody is interested!

I'm inclined to say that the public schools have enough on their hands without adding the administrative hassle of unenrolled homeschoolers to their sports teams.

I feel like we've chosen not to participate in a system. It's not a menu to choose from, it's one system - take it or leave it.

DS11 (12 in a few weeks) is on a path for hs soccer. I don't really know the rules here, but there are about a million homeschoolers in our county and no hsers on PS teams, so I'm guessing they don't allow it. If he chooses to go to PS high school for sports or any other reason, we will allow it, as long as attitude and academic achievements meet our standards. If we see slipping in those areas, we'd bring him back home.

Right now I'd say he's 50/50 on PS going to PS high school vs. playing for the HSAA and his club and continuing to homeschool.

We'll see.

It is the law here too. The schools must allow homeschoolers to participate in everything that is available to ps students, which definitely includes sports. For sports, all athletes must pay $125 per season per athlete,have a physical less than two years old and be making "satisfactory academic progress." I just write a letter to the principal stating that dc is making satisfactory academic progress. I don't know about other sports, but as the high school swim coach, I have never been notified that a swimmer was not making satisfactory academic progress, even though I knew some were having a hard time, so their standard must be lower than mine.

The law also requires schools to allow homeschoolers to take a classes (free), SAT, PSAT, AP Tests, etc. I even know parents who have gotten their textbooks from the local high school.

I feel like we've chosen not to participate in a system. It's not a menu to choose from, it's one system - take it or leave it.

Obviously, it depends on your state. Here it is definitely a menu to choose from.

It is the law here too. The schools must allow homeschoolers to participate in everything that is available to ps students, which definitely includes sports. For sports, all athletes must pay $125 per season per athlete,have a physical less than two years old and be making "satisfactory academic progress." I just write a letter to the principal stating that dc is making satisfactory academic progress. I don't know about other sports, but as the high school swim coach, I have never been notified that a swimmer was not making satisfactory academic progress, even though I knew some were having a hard time, so their standard must be lower than mine.

The law also requires schools to allow homeschoolers to take a classes (free), SAT, PSAT, AP Tests, etc. I even know parents who have gotten their textbooks from the local high school.

Obviously, it depends on your state. Here it is definitely a menu to choose from.

This is interesting. I wonder now if there is a correlation between state regulation of homeschooling and allowing them to participate in extracurriculars. Here, I think the kids are generally not allowed to participate, but we also have no oversight. I wonder.

I think homeschool kids should be able to play. I don't have any problem with requiring proof of attendance and grades. If the homeschooler doesn't want to comply, they don't play.

I wasn't just saying providing attendance and grades, but that attendance and grades had to be equivelant to the public school conterparts. For Momma to give Little Johnny and A based on her own standards is completely different than requiring a passing grade according to the public school's curriculum and standards. For it to be equitable and fair, that is what it would take. Are you still okay with that? Again, not being snarky, but trying to understand because usually homeschoolers and especially this board are all up in arms over any additional oversight from the school system so it surprises me that there are so many that don't think it should apply here.

I also am surprised that so many think homeschool kids should be given an exemption from having to meet the same requirements of everyone else on the team. It doesn't matter whether or not attendance and grades are required fom the HS-ers, unless they meet the *same standards* as the public school - and the only way the PS can determine that is if they have access to all the records - the HS-ers are being given an exemption.

I know that high school sports in Texas are a whole different animal than most of the rest of the country. It is *very* serious business here, so maybe that sport culture has something to do with my opinion. Also, being a former high school varisty coach/trainer/teacher and knowing what all goes into determining eligibility has shown me that it is no small matter. Determining eligibility is a *HUGE* issue for our athletic programs. Coaches and teachers have been fired, careers ended, reputations tarnished, all over a grade or absence. I have seen it happen.

I just don't see how a homeschool student could equally meet those requirements and if they are not required to, then it isn't fair to the public school kids who have met them. I don't think that homeschoolers should expect special treatment. If you can get the *same* access for the *same* expectations, then fine; it is the expectation of allowing homeschoolers to be exempt from the rules that I have a problem with.

I think that is a choice we make when we decide to homeschool and one I may actually have to face myself since my 9 YO does play football and that is probably the *only* sport that does not have as good a private/club/system as the competition found in public schools.

See, in this instance I would be okay with it. If all they were required to show was "satisfactory academic progress" and the same standards for "satisfactory" were applied to both homeschool and public school students, they that is equal expectations for equal acess. I would, however, think that the requirements for showing "satisfactory progress" should be a little more stringent than just a letter from the parent, maybe a portfolio review or some other standard. Unless of course, a public school student is allowed to show a note from mom instead of their report card.

I'm inclined to say that the public schools have enough on their hands without adding the administrative hassle of unenrolled homeschoolers to their sports teams.

DS11 (12 in a few weeks) is on a path for hs soccer. I don't really know the rules here, but there are about a million homeschoolers in our county and no hsers on PS teams, so I'm guessing they don't allow it. If he chooses to go to PS high school for sports or any other reason, we will allow it, as long as attitude and academic achievements meet our standards. If we see slipping in those areas, we'd bring him back home.

Right now I'd say he's 50/50 on PS going to PS high school vs. playing for the HSAA and his club and continuing to homeschool.

We'll see.

Amy, your info shows you are in Texas, too. The UIL does not allow participaton by homeschool students in UIL sanctioned activities, which includes just about all high school sports, band, choir, drama competitions, and quite a few other things.

In my ideal world, sports teams would be supported by towns, localities, etc and not by schools. Then, all children (whether they be private, home, or government schooled) would be allowed to try-out for the sport of their choice within their jurisdiction. Until then, I have no problem with homeschooled children (or private schooled children) playing on government school teams but these families should expect greater oversight by the school board/ athletic review board to ensure that all students are meeting academic eligibility standards.

le.

I can also see the situation happening where Little Johnny is in danger of becoming ineligible for sports because he can't pass his classes, so Momma withdraws him to "homeschool" him and lo and behold, suddenly Little Johnny has all A's and is eligible by Momma's homeschool standards. And we all can guess how much schooling would actually be taking place if Momma was more worried about sports than Little Johnny's grades in the first place.

JMHO!

I would buy that point if it never happened in public school. BUt the truth is tons of kids get passed just so they can continue playing. So, I don't think the argument stands. Yes, some moms may do that, just as some teachers may do that .. Does that mean all students should be disquailified?

As long as we pay taxes, I think we should be allowed to participate. Or, we should be exempt from paying taxes.

I do agree that by doing so you give the public school more oversight into what you are doing as a teacher. I don't think it needs to be the same curriculum. But I think it would be reasonable for the pricipal to look at test/records and curriculm you are using. It seems like it would be fairly easy to go over the student's records and make sure they are doing work that is deemed eligible. Though I do kind of laugh, knowing how lax are particular school system is, and knowing that most of the homeschoolers are way above them academically.

Edited by Cedarmom
adding

Well in Florida we are overseen to some extent. Yearly testing or evaluations are required. If your student isn't making appropriate progress then you are no longer a homeschooler. They do check to make sure you are legally homeschooling. So it isn't like they can play video games day after day and have nothing to show for it. And while grades are mine to assess, I would have to say that my son works harder than any PS child I know so I have zero qualms about fairness. Actually, I worry more about the unfairness of them playing for private schools (which is something we are also allowed to do). I would feel awful if my son took a spot on a private school team away from a child whose parents pay tuition. My middle child played for 2 different private schools because the coaches begged him to play but I still felt bad.

I do see the school system as a menu. I pay the taxes that support those classes so if he wants to be in band or take Spanish then I have no problem with that. The downside is having to deal with the school system. Ick.

See, in this instance I would be okay with it. If all they were required to show was "satisfactory academic progress" and the same standards for "satisfactory" were applied to both homeschool and public school students, they that is equal expectations for equal acess. I would, however, think that the requirements for showing "satisfactory progress" should be a little more stringent than just a letter from the parent, maybe a portfolio review or some other standard. Unless of course, a public school student is allowed to show a note from mom instead of their report card.

I see your point but what if it was as simple as a qualified teacher giving a standardized test along with a transcript showing your grades and examples of the work. Yes, the parent could fudge the work but the test couldn't be changed if the parent didn't administer it. Our state doesn't require testing for homeschoolers but I could understand if a ps wanted it to allow access to sports. Another thing, any student with a 1.5 grade average in ps here can play sports. It should be easy enough for a homeschooler to pass that level.

Dh and I have discussed this as we do see it looming before us. I'm ok turning in my little form that says we hs and to do our testing at 3rd, 5th, 8th and 10th grades but that's all we will do. If we had to go with state-approved curriculum, then no...we would find other avenues for sports.

Thankfully, we live in a town that is accommodating to hs-ers.

Amy, your info shows you are in Texas, too. The UIL does not allow participaton by homeschool students in UIL sanctioned activities, which includes just about all high school sports, band, choir, drama competitions, and quite a few other things.

Yes, UIL pretty much covers it all, doesn't it! Thanks for the info!

This is interesting. I wonder now if there is a correlation between state regulation of homeschooling and allowing them to participate in extracurriculars. Here, I think the kids are generally not allowed to participate, but we also have no oversight. I wonder.

Where I live we have no interaction or oversight with the state or public school system at all, but we still have access to any class or extra-curricular that is offered at the schools.

I am not sure if homeschoolers should be allowed to play for PS. If my kids went to a private school I wouldn't think that they would be allowed to play for the PS even though I am paying taxes in the district. To me, our homeschool is like a private school. It is a choice and when choosing any school there are pros and cons that have to be weighed. I don't think that it is fair for the other kids who choose to enroll in PS to have spots on sports teams occupied by those who are not enrolled. Maybe this would be more of a problem in districts that have a lot of kids who want a chance to participate.

Lesley

I would buy that point if it never happened in public school. BUt the truth is tons of kids get passed just so they can continue playing. So, I don't think the argument stands. Yes, some moms may do that, just as some teachers may do that .. Does that mean all students should be disquailified?

I won't argue and say that fudging grades for star athletes never happens, but it is against the rules and the price to pay for doing so can be very high. As I said before, I have seen coaches fired, teachers loose their credentials and whole programs tarnish their reputation over eligibility scandals. They chose to break the rules and they got caught.

Allowing homeschoolers to do the very same thing but making it okay and with-in the rules while it is a potentially career-ending rule violation if done by a public school official is not equitable in my book.

Interestingly, my DD's former private school allows former students who are now hs to participate in sports-but not those going to other schools. I guess the feeling is that if you're homeschooled, you can't play for a different school's team, so there's no conflict of interest?

Don't have time to read through it all, but we're dealing with this right now.

Our oldest dd is a good soccer player, has played with the local rec league from age 9 and will have her last year with them this fall. We're trying to figure out a way for her to continue playing, but it's hard.

Club teams in the area...well...there are a few, but they're more than an hour away.

She has the option to play for a local Christian school's high school team, but it's co-ed. That's probably where she'll end up playing though, as she can play if she takes 1 class.

Another ps nearby has open enrollment, and the coach and girls on the team would love for her to play. However, the school board has said she would need to take 2 or 3 classes...that's just too much time away from home and her work here. Honestly, I think alot of the time the ps people think we homeschoolers are just sitting around knitting all day, so it doesn't matter if they take up 1/2 the day or more with their classes :tongue_smilie:!

We will not send her to ps to play sports. We will try to find her opportunities, and she knows that & is in agreement.

As far as "academic standards" goes...if that was really what it was all about, then why not let kids use the same yearly testing to prove their academic progress. I am opposed to having to "prove" their grades to a principal.

Question - does each teacher in a ps have to show their grading/attendance/ etc. records to the principal before the kids in their class can play sports? Or does the principal just take the teacher's word for it that the kids got the grades the teacher says they got? Just wondering.

Question - does each teacher in a ps have to show their grading/attendance/ etc. records to the principal before the kids in their class can play sports? Or does the principal just take the teacher's word for it that the kids got the grades the teacher says they got? Just wondering.

I will answer this from my experience as a former high school teacher and coach. Attendance for each class was turned in daily so that is verified through the attendance office. Eligibility is based on passing grades at the six weeks mark, when report cards are issued. It was the officially reported grade for the six-weeks that determined whether a student was eligible to play for the following grading period.

Almost all of the coaches I knew required their student athletes to keep weekly grade verification sheets during season that the student athlete had to get signed by each teacher to show their current status in the class. This was "unofficial" but would give the coach a heads-up if an athlete was in danger of not passing in time for them to try to do something about it.

As far as verification of those grade, it was understood that our gradebook had to be open to the principal any time they requested it. I have known of grades to be verified by an administrator in the case of an athlete that is struggling to stay eligible and/or was declared ineligible so the teacher's rear was covered in case any question ever arose. I quit teaching in the public school before grades were routinely stored in a school database, so now I would think that the documentation of a student's grades would be even easier with that type on computerized gradebook.

This happens continuously throughout the season/school year, not just at the beginning of the season, since eligibility is determined each grading period.

As I said before, eligibility here is a big deal and may not be so in other areas.

Oh, I intended to add, it was my job as a head-coach to be sure that all my players were eligible, not the principal. As soon as grades were reported, a list was generated from the office that showed students that had failed a class. It was up to me to be sure none of my athletes were on that list. However, my girls knew they better have told me before I saw the list if their name might be on it. At a different school, coaches required students to bring their report cards in and show them tot eh coach themselves. I also had to check attendance records regularly.

Edited by fhjmom

It is not allowed in Maryland. I think it should be allowed. However, I don't know for sure that I would have my hsed child on the ps sports team(s) if it was allowed. I'd rather keep it separate. I would be concerned that my child will not fit in or will suffer abuses from teammates because they are not part of the school.

I would put my kid in ps so they could be on a competitive team. I don't know that that would be the one-and-only reason, but I would be willing to accept putting them in school if that was the only way I could meet the needs of an athletically gifted child.

Anecdotally, I have known a very gifted athlete who dreamed and longed to go to school so she could be on the athletic team. Her parents were determined to hs her and created a homeschool team in her sport. This was not an adequate solution, though. The girl told me how unhappy she was; there was no challenge and she essentially was just teaching the other hsers how to play. Her view of hsing is negative for this reason. :001_huh: I wouldn't want to create that situation - where I must homeschool, even if it's a poor match for the child.