Menu

nintendo DS people

I need some help here. I have a DD who will be 6yo at Christmas time. We are looking to get her DS for Christmas/Bday gift.

Yes, I know I am early on this, but I like to figure out what I am getting during the summer and then start looking for deals, and I plan to be finished shopping by Thanksgiving.

Anyway, she has a leapster, and she loves it, but she has outgrown the level of games that the leapster offers. I have looked into the Diji (also made by leapfrog, but marketed for older kids), but almost all the games are commercial games (ie Disney princess, Sponge Bob etc) We only by the educational type like puzzle games, I Spy, Math games...

I went on Amazon, and I see that there are several versions of DS. I am unsure of which to get, and what is the difference between them (other than price). I was hoping that I could get games at places like Costco or Amazon, if that matters. We would not be using the online features, and would like it to be relatively sturdy. So, which is the best to get?

Also, what are some cool educational type games that have been hits with your kids?

Thanks!

For a 6 yr old I would just go with the DS lite. It is just like the original but smaller and lighter. The DSi is the newest one and has a camera and wi-fi abilities, but will not play the older gameboy advance games like the original and DSlite will.

I need some help here. I have a DD who will be 6yo at Christmas time. We are looking to get her DS for Christmas/Bday gift.

Yes, I know I am early on this, but I like to figure out what I am getting during the summer and then start looking for deals, and I plan to be finished shopping by Thanksgiving.

Anyway, she has a leapster, and she loves it, but she has outgrown the level of games that the leapster offers. I have looked into the Diji (also made by leapfrog, but marketed for older kids), but almost all the games are commercial games (ie Disney princess, Sponge Bob etc) We only by the educational type like puzzle games, I Spy, Math games...

I went on Amazon, and I see that there are several versions of DS. I am unsure of which to get, and what is the difference between them (other than price). I was hoping that I could get games at places like Costco or Amazon, if that matters. We would not be using the online features, and would like it to be relatively sturdy. So, which is the best to get?

Also, what are some cool educational type games that have been hits with your kids?

Thanks!

I'll second the DS Lite. It can play DS games as well as Gameboy Advance games. It can still do download play with the newer DSi. (Thankfully, Nintendo changed the game player without changing the format this time.)

All of my kids have a Nerf case as an outer protective shell for their DS's. They are very banged up, but the DS's still work after almost 4 years. We also put a clear screen protector on the touch screen right away. Otherwise the touch screen can get scratched and worn out.

The only educational game we have is the America's Test Cooking game, which isn't really a game. It has recipes and teaches cooking techniques. My 7yo ds and 10 yo ds enjoy this.

I'll third the DS lite. My 9 y/o daughter has one. I think for her next b-day we might get her a better one with more features; she's been making noises about those as some of her friends have the more advanced ones.

If we do that, we'll give her little brother her old one- he's only 4 (5 in early November) but already he'd much rather play her DS than something like his V-Smile)!

My dd10 likes the Brain Age games. There is also one called My Personal Math that quizzes on skills (+,-,*,/). Ds9 has a Gameboy advanced game ISpy. If there is a Gamestop near you, ask the guys for recommendations. They are usually pretty good at finding things for my kids.

Another vote for the DS lite. Both my girls tried the DSi and didn't like it. There is a new DS coming out before Christmas that is 3D capable without glasses but I don't know anymore about it.

My daughters love their DS games. They are wonderful for long car rides. Be sure to buy and use the screen protector. It keeps the screen from getting scratched. We also make sure the DS units are in padded cases. My girls are careful but accidents can happen.

ETA: Considering buying used games from Gamestop. They offer a 7 day refund or exchange on all used games. The policy gives the kids a chance to see if they like the game. There's no return for new games.

Edited by emzhengjiu

Another chime-in for the DS Lite. The Nerf cases are AWESOME for the DS game systems. All 3 of my kids have a Nerf case, and when I get *my* DS... I'm putting a Nerf case on it too! LOL Also - I think the clear screen protectors are a MUST. Those things add years of life to a DS system, I think!

With the Leapster games, I found that my kids enjoyed almost all of them and the quality/entertainment value of each was pretty equal across the board. Not so with the DS games. Some are awesome - and some flat out stink. Check reviews at Toys R Us and Amazon before buying. It will save you a lot of money in the long run!! (speaking from experience, here!!)

One thing I'd add...check craigslist or game stop for the ds lite...we got our son's very cheap from someone who was upgrading to the new version. Both of mine now have the dsi, but they still keep the ds lite to play some of the old games. The Nerf case is the best, and mine also love the Brain Age games.