Menu

Just wanted some opinions...

Didn't read article, but I despise Walmart and avoid it at all costs.

I'm with you. I do go in for something now and then ONLY if I can't find it anywhere else or if it's 2am and I REALLY need something. I have actually gone years without stepping foot into one.

They are KILLING organic standards. They are town killers. And I really don't think they're all that cheap.

I dunno. I definitely don't like the NEA, but I'm not crazy about Wal-mart either. Just read a book called "Nickel and Dimed", and WM did not come out smelling rosy. They did not treat their employees very well. Quiver, you worked there, didn't you? How was it really?

I dunno. I definitely don't like the NEA, but I'm not crazy about Wal-mart either. Just read a book called "Nickel and Dimed", and WM did not come out smelling rosy. They did not treat their employees very well. Quiver, you worked there, didn't you? How was it really?

I did work there for a few months, my son has been working there for 9 months and my DH works there too, so I am a bit biased.

When I worked there, pre-DH working there, they were very strict about the hours I worked. I was not allowed to clock in sooner than 5 minutes before a shift or 5 minutes after. We had to take breaks at the scheduled time. If we were off the clock and a manager or co-worker needed something, we had to reclock in and talk to them or whatever. I was hired to work 30 hours a week and was only scheduled for 30 hours a week and only worked during the hours I said I was available.

My son has had similar experiences and has never had to work a day/time he isn't scheduled for nor more hours than he was hired for.

From what I understand( from another anti-walmart post), WM had trouble with forced OT and there were lawsuits? I think this was years ago and they have sinced change policy according to that.

As far as treating workers nicely I never had any issues and my manager was extremely nice. DS's managers are very nice too.

I did work there for a few months, my son has been working there for 9 months and my DH works there too, so I am a bit biased.

When I worked there, pre-DH working there, they were very strict about the hours I worked. I was not allowed to clock in sooner than 5 minutes before a shift or 5 minutes after. We had to take breaks at the scheduled time. If we were off the clock and a manager or co-worker needed something, we had to reclock in and talk to them or whatever. I was hired to work 30 hours a week and was only scheduled for 30 hours a week and only worked during the hours I said I was available.

My son has had similar experiences and has never had to work a day/time he isn't scheduled for nor more hours than he was hired for.

From what I understand( from another anti-walmart post), WM had trouble with forced OT and there were lawsuits? I think this was years ago and they have sinced change policy according to that.

As far as treating workers nicely I never had any issues and my manager was extremely nice. DS's managers are very nice too.

Thanks for sharing. The book described them as keeping hours low so they didn't have to pay benefits, and being rabidly anti-union. I had a cousin who worked there in management. When he died unexpectedly, the store supplied all of the food for after the funeral. Sounds like the individual stores may be ok, but corporate not so nice. :thumbdown:

It's a VERY short read, if that makes any difference. :)

It does! I read it. It sounds like a couple of issues. They also said they're anti-union. I have mixed feelings about that. I know one store owner who prevented unions from forming in what I consider the "right" way--he paid his workers competitive wages and gave them competitive benefits, which I see as a win/win situation.

I'm guessing Walmart managers vary like they do in any large retail chain and that some really are easy to work with. I may disagree with what the bigwigs at Walmart do, but it would be unfair to lump every manager and employee in that boat. I know a few people who work in the more local Walmart, and their experiences have been mixed. As for the school pro-choice, I wonder if that's just a PR move? My bias: I lean toward skepticism in motives whenever there are billions of dollars involved.

Most retail businesses in America keep total hours to under 40 so they don't have to pay insurance, unless things have changed drastically in the past 10 years or so. I grew up in retail and it's been like that for years.

Working in my own family's store as a teen in the 70's, I was required to clock in and out properly, too. Officials come around and check the time cards every so often and if there are any perceived descrepencies between what's being worked vs. what was scheduled to be worked, I guess that sets off signals for them, so it's something that has to be followed closely.

Wal-mart is a huge company. Even small, single store businesses are sued regularly nowadays for sexual harrassment or discrimination, employee injuries, or arguments over time worked, to name just a few topics of litigation. We live in a very litigious society - more so every year.

Given the number of people Wal-mart employs, I'm surprised we don't hear about more lawsuits involving them.

I'd like to see number of lawsuits for Wal-mart employees compared to number of lawsuits filed by NEA employees over similar topics (and they don't have to punch time cards).....

That's kind of interesting, really. The NEA can now blame Wal-Mart for the decline in schools...it's not as if Wal-Mart is going to change the way they do things, so now they can't (in their eyes) be held accountable. Ever.

Meanwhile, thousands of teachers are still going to shop there this summer because the prices are low enough to stock their classrooms on their low salaries...:001_huh:

personally, i think the NEA is doing a worse job w/ our future than WalMart is.

I agree there is certainly plenty of redistribution of low-wage jobs w/ WalMart in a town, but I'm not convinced that people earning low wages is Walmart's fault.

I'm not for or against walmart, but then, Walmart doesn't publicly state that I am screwing up my kids.

http://www.nea.org/espcolumns/dv040220.html

http://www.nea.org/handbook/images/resolutions.pdf

Homeschooling is B-75

So yeah, I'll still enjoy stocking up on school supplies at WalMart this August.

I agree there is certainly plenty of redistribution of low-wage jobs w/ WalMart in a town, but I'm not convinced that people earning low wages is Walmart's fault.

I'm not for or against walmart, but then, Walmart doesn't publicly state that I am screwing up my kids.

Homeschooling is B-75

So yeah, I'll still enjoy stocking up on school supplies at WalMart this August.

:iagree:

Homeschooling is B-75

Awesome links, thanks for sharing! Anyone notice the first was written by a head custodian? He's all about how only a professional teacher is qualified to teach kids, yet he's not a teacher? Why isn't he upset that I mop my own kitchen? I'm not specifically trained for that, y'know.... Nothing against custodians, I just find his logic staggering.