Menu

Your 4 year overview of high school? would love to see yours...here is mine

Mine is incomplete at the moment. A friend of mine told me to plan out the high school year. I plan to do 5 year high school starting with 8th grade. (Per Inge Canon suggestions through her bootcamp seminar)

I would love to see yours! I need to compare notes.

So this is our high school over view for my oldest son who is 13 years old.

science

8th grade: Biology1 (Apologia)

9th grade: Biology 2 (Apologia), maybe take marine Biology here instead of 10th grade. (I doubled my science in high school to get all the required science in for med. school- yes I wanted to be a doctor in Radiology)

10th grade: Marine Biology (apologia)(if taking this in 9th grade then I will have Joshua take 2 years of Chemistry)

11th grade: Physcis or Chemistry

12th grade: " "

History:

We are using Tapestry of Grace in the 4 year cycle

8th grade: Modern history

9th grade: Ancient history (World History)

10th grade: Middle ages to beginning of the US (wold history)

11th grade: Victorian/Renaissance period and through Revolutionary War (US history and World)

12th grade: Modern World History

Language Arts:

No idea! I know English is dropped around 10th grade and there is more writing and literature than English from what I remember in high school and from talking to my sister in law (my nephew is in public high school).

I know I will be using either Well Trained Mind Great books guidelines or an online Great books academy for literature. Tapestry of Grace also has a literature portion but that goes along with history time period we study.

We will be using SAT prep books for Vocab starting 9th grade. He will also use the Vocabulary from the Classical Roots (he is on book A now).

I am going to re-read this section in WTM today to figure out this portion.

Foriegn Lanuage:

Latin of course. Also will add Spanish soon.

Latin, I am not sure what I will be using because we are still in Latin Primer 1. We started late. I really do not like it but we are plugging it away. We are halfway. DS was doing Learnables for Spanish. We dropped that. I am looking to buy Rosetta Stone Spanish. Any ideas on the Latin? What do you use Latin for high school in regards to my situation?

Government:

Teen Pact (every year for this one) and Notgrass government curriculam (one year in high school).

Math:

8th grade: Lials Basic college Math with a few Algebra prep books (will count as Pre-Algebra)

9th grade: Alg 1 (I will either use Lial's Algebra program which I can get it very cheaply or Chalkdust if I can get a very good price on it)

10th grade: Alg 2(" ")

11th grade: Geometry using Jacobs (that is all I can find unless you know of a better program)

12th grade: I do not know. It depends on ds.

He is currently learning Piano (we have a teacher for this one) and guitar which he did have a teacher but he quit on us so for now ds is learning on his own.

I may be enrolling ds to do Art at Convenant (after school program for homeschoolers).

We will be doing more Logic. Right now we are using the Fallacy Detective and the Red Herrings book series. ds loves these.

I know I am missing something. I will be reading the high school portion in the well trained mind books and combing through the Tapestry of Grace boards/elist.

We will be teaching computers to ds since we now have the Adobe premeire. He is learning alot already.

Any thoughts? Any comments? Please state them. I want your thoughts on this.

Blessings-

Holly

My oldest will be in 9th grade next year and I have a dear friend who told me to start a 4 year plan. So I've been working on one....it is not complete but I think it's a decent start.

English (Writing, Literature, Grammar, Vocabulary)

9th grade: Jensen's Format Writing

Lightning Lit

Vocab from Classical Roots

Jensen's Grammar and Punctuation

10th grade:

11th grade:

12th grade:

She will also read a lot(it is her favorite thing to do).....I'm working on putting a book list together from different sources.

Math

9th grade: Saxon Algebra 2

10th grade: Saxon Advanced Math

11th grade: Saxon Advanced Math/Saxon Calculus

12th grade: Saxon Calculus/Abeka Consumer Math

(I'm assuming my dd will take more than one year to finish Advanced Math and we may not get very far in the Calculus. This is just what I would like to see. I'm also going to have her do Aleks during the summer.)

Science

9th grade: Apologia Physical Science

10th grade: Apologia Biology

11th grade: Apologia Chemistry

12th grade: Apologia Physics or Anatomy

History

9th grade: Geography: Abeka + Around the World in 180 Days

10th grade: World History: I'm thinking Notgrass??

11th grade: American History: ??????

12th grade: Government: Abeka or Notgrass

Electives

Physical Education

Health

Foreign Lang. - We are leaning toward Spanish

Driver's Ed

Bible

Art

Music

Home Ec.

Computers

Photography

Logic

Drama

Speech

Worldviews

Business/Accounting

Shop/Drafting/Auto

We will do one credit of English, History, Science and Math every year and add 2-3 electives. She also takes piano lessons, is involved in 4-H and takes a homeschool PE class once a week. We have access to speech and drama classes if she chooses to do those electives.

As I look back on this, I think I have a lot of planning to do this summer! Best wishes on your homeschooling journey!:001_smile:

Wow, thanks for doing this...helps me think ahead, too...also, feedback appreciated!

science

8th grade: Rainbow Science (with PH books and other readings on interesting topics, such as the periodic table--yuck)

9th grade: Biology 1 (Apologia), with the syllabus from MODG that incorporates Natural History

10th grade: Chemistry

11th grade: Marine Biology (Apologia)

12th grade: maybe Physics, maybe something at the CC

History:

We are using Trisms in the 4 year cycle

8th grade: HistoryMakers (world history overview)

9th grade: Discovering the Ancient World

10th grade: Expansion of Civilization

11th grade: Rise of Nations

12th grade: Age of Revolution

Language Arts:

9th grade: Language Arts through Trisms (uses IEW); Language Lessons for the Secondary Child (CM-style daily review); review of Cozy Punctuation videos; Shakespeare through Lightning Lit

10th grade: Medieval Literature through LL?

11th grade: British lit?

12th grade: American lit?

Probably will tie 10th, 11th, 12th to periods studied; may continue with Shakespeare...probably will pick up some SAT prep and use Science Roots with Biology...

Foriegn Lanuage:

Latin (move from Latin Prep books to???)

German (continue with Rosetta Stone, add grammar)

Government:

Teen Pact--looking into this this year...

Math:

8th grade: Videotext Algebra Modules 1-3

9th grade: Videotext Modules 4-6; maybe Geometry with a break from Algebra

10th grade: Videotext Geometry or end of VT Algebra

11th grade: pre-Calc (Chalkdust?); Calc?

12th grade: Calc?

Here's what we've done. We didn't use the four year rotation any longer in high school, but heavily used WTM for book list in history and literature.

Note: TPS = The Potter's School and CC = community college

Ds - graduates this year

=== Grade Level: 9

Course Title - Credits

English I: Ancient Literature - 1

Geometry - 1

Introduction to Electronics with Lab (TPS) - 1

Ancient History - 1

Spanish I - 1

Catholic Church History - 0.5

Personal Management Skills - 0.5

Physical Education - 1

=== Grade Level: 10

Course Title - Credits

English II: American Literature - 1

Trigonometry - 1

Biology with Lab (TPS) - 1

American History - 1

Spanish II - 1

Government and the Constitution (TPS) - 0.5

Asian Survey (TPS) - 0.5

First Responder (CC) - 0.5

Physical Education - 0.5

=== Grade Level: 11

Course Title - Credits

English III: 20th Century World Literature - 1

Advanced Algebra - 1

Chemistry with Lab (TPS) - 1

20th Century World History - 1

Aviation Science (TPS) - 0.5

Constitutional Law (TPS) - 0.5

Accounting - 1

Economics (TPS) - 0.5

Essential College Skills - 0.5

=== Grade Level: 12

Course Title- Credits

English IV: British Literature - 1

College Composition I, honors (CC) - 0.5

Calculus - 1

Anatomy & Physiology I & II with Lab (CC) - 1

Physics with Lab - 1

African History - 1

Principles of Public Speaking (CC) - 0.5

Classical & Modern Political Theory - 0.5

Art History & Appreciation - 0.5

Dd - graduates next year

=== Grade Level: 9

Course Title - Credits

Algebra II - 1

Biology with Lab (TPS) - 1

Ancient History - 1

Spanish II - 1

World Geography - 1

Elements of Music Theory I (TPS) - 1

=== Grade Level: 10

Course Title - Credits

English II: 20th Century World Literature - 1

Geometry - 1

Chemistry with Lab - 1

20th Century World History - 1

Latin I (TPS)- 1

World Religions (TPS) - 0.5

Introduction to Business (TPS) - 1

Introduction to Playwriting (SO) - 1

=== Grade Level: 11

Course Title - Credits

English III: American Literature - 1

Trigonometry - 1

Astronomy (TPS) - 1

American History - 1

Latin II (TPS) - 1

College Composition (CC) - 0.5

Shakespeare (TPS) - 0.5

Theology (TPS) - 0.5

Government and the Constitution (TPS) - 0.5

Introduction to Photography (TPS) -0.5

=== Grade Level: 12

Course Title - Credit

English IV: British Literatrue - 1

Advanced Algebra - 1

Meteorology with lab (CC) - 0.5

Physical Geology with lab (CC) - 0.5

Either British History or Russian History - 1

Latin III (TPS)

Propositional Logic (TPS) - 1

Survey of Criminology (CC) - 0.5

undecided 2nd semester course (CC) - 0.5

This is what we're doing this year (8th grade):

Some of Foerster's Alg.

Apologia Gen. Science

Some of History of US, and probably SOTW Vol. 4 (didn't finish it when they were young, and they have an interest in doing so)

For 9th grade:

Foreign Language - Spanish (Rosetta Stone and a grammar-heavy textbook, as yet undecided, although I have some ideas; I've also looked at OU's High School courses)

Math - Finish Foerster's in 9th, Jacob's Geometry in 10th (with some Alg. II alongside), and finish Alg. II in 11th. Honestly...I don't know if we'll do more than that, although one child might go further. The colleges they're both looking at don't require more than three math credits, so we'll play that one by ear.

History - Well, I had planned to use Spielvogel's Human Odyssey...but my kids are asking to use SWB's new History of the Ancient World. So, again...we'll play it by ear. I have TOG, Year 1, since I'm tying their study in with younger siblings, and I've been playing around with correlating chapters, so, we'll see. Mostly WTM suggestions for literature tie-ins.

English - I'm using an old college text of mine, and Composition in the Classical Tradition to guide writing assignments over all four years (I think). I'm also investigating using some online writing tutorials for essays. We'll likely use some of 9th to finish Rod and Staff's 8th grade book. I'm also planning on starting Art of Argument in 9th, and since they'll be writing as part of their study of it, I'm including it here, since I'm not sure that we'll be continuing to formally study Logic as a separate subject.

Science - They're doing Apologia's Physical Science next year, along with a Physical Science lab class for homeschoolers at our local science museum. I'm planning on Biology, Chemistry, and Physics for the other three years, all using Apologia, unless they go the community college route. (Something I wouldn't mind them doing for math).

Art - Outsourced classes, most likely. OU High School's courses have been considered for this, too.

Music - One child is headed into musical theatre classes, will continue piano and most likely add Voice, another may or may not begin Guitar. (If not, he'll do a Music Appreciation credit, tied to our history study).

Phys. Ed - One child is into indoor rock climbing, so her membership to the local rock gym and weekly visits there will be P.E.; the other is possibly trying out for a homeschool football team next year. If that doesn't work out, we'll find a way to marry some of his other interests with a formal pursuit for this category. (Swimming, etc.)

Thanks, Jill, for reminding me about "other." My son does classical viola (he's finishing Book 3 in Suzuki) and he plays competitive hockey and baseball (works out with a personal trainer once or twice a week as well--we're trying to keep him from doing things the wrong way!)

My dd is presently in 8th grade.

Science:

(probably all will be in a home school class with lab)

8th- Physical Science

9th- Biology

10th- Chemistry

11th- Earth/ Environmental

12th- Physics or community college

History:

8th- American History (probably to about the beginning of the 20th century)

9th- World Wars I and II (class) and probably 20th century World History (home)

10th- World History

11th- American History

12th- government and economics

English:

8th- Middle School Composition and Grammar (class)

9th- British Lit (class)

10th- World or Western Lit (class)

11th- American Lit

12th- Two semesters of freshman English at community college

Math:

(Lial's for all levels)

8th-11th Algebra, geometry, Alg 2.

12th- Precalc 1 and 2 at community college

Foreign Language

8th- Spanish 2 (class)

9th- Spanish III (class) plus Japanese (not sure where yet)

10th- Japanese, start Spanish at community college 2nd semester

11th Spanish at community college, Japanese

12th-????

Not sure what electives we'll do. Probably Worldviews and Logic.

Here's what we've done. We didn't use the four year rotation any longer in high school, but heavily used WTM for book list in history and literature.

English II: American Literature - 1

English III: 20th Century World Literature - 1

English IV: British Literature - 1

quote]

What curriculam are you using for these English course of literature?

Holly

My freshman dd's schedule is a mix of home and community college courses. She will have completed the starred courses this year.

English:

Eng 101*

Eng 102

British Lit at cc

American Lit at cc

Creative writing at cc

Math:

TT algebra 1*

College algebra

TT geometry

Consumer math at cc

Science:

Apologia biology*

Earth Science at cc

Another cc science course

Social Studies:

US history 1* and 2 at cc

American govt. at cc

World geography at cc

Language:

Cambridge Latin*

Latin at cc

Computers, public speaking, driver ed., philosophy or logic at cc.

I count her 35-hour/week ballet schedule as PE and fine arts.

Her plan is to graduate high school with an AA degree at the same time she graduates from the 10-year program at her ballet school, dance in a company, then teach dance. She will decide if she needs/wants to go back to school later and get her bachelor's degree.

Holly,

I just gather resources and put together my own English courses. Each year our English course includes: grammar, composition, literature, and vocabulary. For grammar, we use A Beka (grammar portion only). For vocabulary, we used Vocabulary from Classical Roots (all the books) and then Vocabulary for the College-Bound Student. We finished these books by then end of 11th grade so stopped formal vocabulary at that point. For composition, dc wrote essays for literature and also took classes at Write at Home and then community college. For literature, I used the WTM, WEM, and Reading Lists for College-Bound Students to help guide me in choosing which lit books/plays/poetry to read. For a literature spine, I primarily use Pierrne's (? spelling and I don't have the book handy) Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense. I also have dc read How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster - wonderful book that Kathleen recommended to me. I also use Progeny Press Study guides and I heavily use Sparknotes. Sparknotes has quizzes that students can take. For ancient lit, I used Veritas Press's A Guide to the Great Books by Wes Callihan (used all his ancient guides). I also poke around various websites and construct my own guides out of what I find or write myself.

Gotta quick take dd to work, so please pardon my lack of proof reading. :001_smile:

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cynde

Can I tell you even though we didn't end up finishing it, as ds decided he wanted to go back to a school? I hope that's okay....

We really started some high school level work when he was in seventh grade, so the things I have included on his transcript from me include those. We intended for him to do hs level stuff in 7th through 10th, then go on campus and start taking some classes, while perhaps finishing up any hs requirements that he still might need from home (math, probably). Here's what we finished at home, or through correspondence and other outside courses:

Year 1

English I

included Abeka Grammar and Comp I; Vocab from Classical Roots A & B; Writing Strands 7; and a year long, outside English course (with a great teacher! We *loved* her!)

World History

covering the early modern period, with an emphasis on U.S. history.

We used WTM recs to do our history, with a variety of encyclopedias as spines and reading of tons of living books, with analysis.

Early Modern Literature I

I counted lit as a separate course because we covered so very much in addition to all the things he did under the "English" heading. We used WTM recs, again, for our readings, and he performed analysis of various sorts for much that was read. His outside English class also included a couple of literature topics studied; and he participated in a coop discussion group geared around the works of Dickens.

Logic I

I only assigned a half credit for completion of Wilson and Nance's Introductory Logic text for the year, as he didn't have to spend that much time on it.

Chemistry Survey

This was not really a lab class, as there weren't that many labs involved during the year, but he's not going to major in science, either. I used a combination of WTM recs for chemistry with other things I added in. He did a lot of reading of living books pertaining to chemistry topics. He did quite a bit of equation writing and balancing and was in a discussion group with a retired chemist for a few months.

Year 2

Algebra I

used VideoText

Latin I

completed the Latin Primer series earlier and completed the Latin Grammar I book during this year. He also participated in the National Latin Exam for two years (intro and level 1).

English II

completed Abeka Grammar and Comp II; Vocab from Classical Roots C & D (first half); Writing Strands: Creating Fiction (although he didn't do a lot with this). He participated in a 10 week coop course that involved creative group writing. He was once again in the year long English class, which was even more wonderful than the first year. It provided a ton of writing opportunities for him.

Physical Education

I wanted to get this required credit out of the way, and he was at the age where he required a lot of activity to balance out the written work. I used a lot of outside opportunities available to us in our community to accomplish this.

During the summer, he took a month long (20 day) series of tennis lessons sponsered by our parks and rec dept.

He was in a 16 week long PE class designed for homeschoolers in the fall. It consisted of 2 hours, weekly. They did different group sports every four weeks; had an open tumbling time; calisthenics and health training; and aerobic exercise (30 minutes of each, weekly).

He participated in a 16 week long basketball instruction clinic for homeschoolers.

He participated in an 8 week 4-H archery program and attended archery camp.

He was on a year-round swim team and swam almost daily. This also included dry-land exercise. He was also on a summer, neighborhood swim team. He attended a swim clinic by an Olympic swimmer at Centre College.

He learned to play Ultimate as part of his swim exercise program and pursued that sport.

He began weight-training under the direction of his father.

He completed the President's Physical Fitness Challenge: Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels in one year.

Biology Survey

again, this was not a lab course, but I'm now finding out that basic biology is not really a lab course anymore at a lot of schools. Kids take anatomy if they want to dissect - weird. We used WTM recs regarding reading of living books on topic (and analyzing them), but I used a college level text for non-majors: Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology, by Mahlon Hoagland, Bert Dodson, and Judith Hauck.

I also used as spines The World Beneath Our Feet: A Guide to Life in the Soil, James B. Nardi;

The Sciences: An Integrated Approach, James Trefil and Robert Hazen, along with the Teaching Company tapes that go with this book (bio portion only);

and, Botany, Randy Moore, W. Dennis Clark, and Darrell Vodopick (just as an intro).

He participated in two different coop classes during the year that covered biology topics and did a science fair experiment on Circadian Rhythms that went up to the county level fair.

Modern History - U.S.

While I included the world in this study, per WTM recs, our emphasis was so strong on U.S. history that I felt I could just count it as that.

Modern Literature II

This was, again, based on WTM recs with tons of living books and their analysis. His outside English class for this year included a lot more literary analysis. He also did a lit study at home regarding one of the books we covered (although I don't really like these). And he participated in a 10 week coop study of The Iliad, which he *really* loved! He learned great note-taking skills during this class.

Logic I

I gave another half credit for completion of Traditional Logic I during this year, so that gave him a full credit for Logic I.

Year 3

English III

Greek Mythology dual credit course taken from Indiana University. Also completed Abeka Grammar and Comp III and Vocab from Classical Roots D (last half) and E at home.

History

Took a dual credit course from IU on Ancient Greek History and Culture.

Geology

Took a dual credit course from IU (for non-majors).

Latin II

completed Latin Grammar II and also was in a Latin II outside class for the year, using Jenney's Latin.

Health

Took a semester long coop class on health and also a semester long high school correspondence course entitled "Personal, Marriage, and Family Relationships", which covered the sexual, dating, marriage, etc. aspects that were not covered in his coop class (save for lifestyle diseases). His coop class used a Houghton Mifflin high school level health book.

Art History/Humanities

He did a little work with a neighbor who is a retired art teacher/artist; he took a couple of clinics on various art topics; the "culture" portions of his Greek history course covered much of this info; and he took a high school correspondence course in art history for a semester, as well. He also participated in a year long drama group that culminated in a musical production in the spring, as well as studying guitar for the year, and helping to put together a coop newsletter (monthly) and yearbook.

Logic II

He completed about 1/2 to 3/4 of Traditional Logic II; went back and reviewed Trad Logic I and II with the learning CD's; took part in a semester long coop course covering logic, which used Fallacy Detective, in part; then took part in a semester long political science coop class which consisted of learning to debate various hot topics and participating in reasoned discussion of those topics.

Spanish I

BJU Spanish I programming

Algebra II

VideoText programming

That's it. When he decided to back track and just go back to school as a sophomore this past school year, we only needed seven credits of all these added to his transcript for that school to place him properly, so not all these are shown on that transcript. However, as the transferring entity, I will present my transcript (with explanation), as well as his college transcript for those courses when he applies to colleges.

Regena

Oh, and, if he had stayed home this year, here's at least part of what I had planned for him to do:

English IV

Abeka's Grammar and Comp IV; Analogies I;

He was looking at taking a dual credit course on ancient Rome next. As I recall, it was a bigger course, which included the mythology in it, so we probably would have included this for the lit portion of this course.

Government - I have several sources, but I'm not sure what I would have used....

History - the above-mentioned dual credit course on Rome.

Science - I was going to put him into an outside course, but wasn't sure which one I was going to use....

Math - VideoText geometry

Spanish II - BJU programming

and we would have been trying to study rhetoric, too, using something.....

Regena

This is still in the works. We're going to do 5 years, but the first will be an 8/9 split as we realize dd isn't going to be ready to go to college at 17 despite academic levels. Of course, this is all subject to change!!!!!

So, next year:

Math: Finish Alg 1 review with 1965 Dociani and Gelfand, et al., Start Algebra 2 Dolciani

Science: Finish Gr 8 science, start Biology, but the text and labs are not yet chosen.

Latin: Start Wheelock's Latin, ideally with Scholars Online (pending finances)

English: Rod & Staff gr. 8 plus a writing program yet to be chosen, a bit of literary studie ala TWEM

History: SWB's THe History of the Ancient World as the main spine

Phys Ed: Swim team

Art: Watercolur painting course by Masterpiece Art Instruction, still choosing art appreciation and colour theory books (okay, haven't started the last search yet)

Music: Recorder--baroque music, solos and duets, theory & music history (I don't have my old history text, but she'll use the one I used.)

Gr. 9 (full year)

Math. Finish Alg 2 with Dolciani

Science: Astronomy, no texts chosen

Latin: Wheelocks, second year.

English: Continue with Rod and Staff 8, possibly start 9. same lit approach

History: Hopefully SWB's medeival book will be in print by then (2010)

Phys Ed: Swim team, including with local high school team

Art: not sure yet

Music: hopefully we have my new piano by then to add this to above plan

Gr. 10, 11, 12. Too much typing for one day!!!! But I do plan to stick with R&S English, WEM, Swimming, art, Latin (Oxford is the main idea at the moment, unless we've been able to afford Scholars Online, then what they do next), music, etc.

What we did this year...

Algebra I (Teaching Textbooks)

Latin (1 semester) (Henle)

Comp and Lit (IEW, Hewitt Lit, Analytical Grammar, Vocabulary From Classical Roots)

Speech I (at cooperative)

Intro to Logic (1 semester) (Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox)

Sonlight 5 History

Earth and Space Science (BJU)

Bible I - Life of Christ (Positive Action)

On the burner for next year....

Geometry (Teaching Textbooks)

Spanish I (at cooperative)

Comp and Lit (IEW, Greenleaf Ancient Literature, Analytical Grammar, Wordly Wise)

PE/Health (Total Health)

Biology (at cooperative using Apologia)

Bible II - Old Testament Survey (hand-picked sources)

Ancient History (Notgrass and various sources)

Possible line-up for junior and senior years....

Algebra II (Teaching Textbooks)

Spanish II (at cooperative)

Comp and Lit (IEW, Greenleaf Medieval Literature, Analytical Grammar, Wordly Wise)

Home Economics (Christian Light)

Chemistry (at cooperative using Apologia)

Bible III - Church History (Hewitt)

Medieval History thru Modern Times (Notgrass and various sources)

and...

Pre-Calculus (probably Foerster or dual enrollment at local college)

Spanish III (probably BJU or dual enrollment at local college)

Comp and Lit (IEW, handpicked literature for college-bound)

Physics (maybe - at cooperative using Apologia)

Bible IV - World View Studies (Understanding the Times?)

American Government/Economics (Notgrass and ??????)

American History (Notgrass)

Grrr... I typed it all in and for some reason it went missing when I hit submit. Sigh...

Lit/Hist: Great books a la TWTM/TWEM

Writing: Writing Strands, Format Writing and a few other odds and ends, then CC comp1+2

Speech: Storytelling, then CC speech

Grammar: Latin

Vocab: VfCR (as we have time) and Latin

Math: NEM, then CC

Science: Natural history, ham radio/human anatomy, Conceptual Physics, CC chemistry (youngest, having done some of these with the older one, will do natural history and then CC)

Art: Artistic Pursuits then CC

Music: Piano and sight singing, then learn guitar on their own

PE: Gymnastics

Foreign Languages: Latin with Ecce Romani then readers, French with Pimsleur and immersion at home then literature, Arabic (youngest) with Pimsleur then a tutor (hopefully)

Logic: Geometry (grin)

Peace studies: peacewalking

Typing: Typing Instructor Delux

Computers: Own laptop and CC

-Nan

He started high school level classes in 8th grade because he could handle them. This is also benefits him because he does not need to take math and science every year in 9th-12th. So, he can take a challenging AP course and not be overloaded.

8th grade

Algebra 1 (actually in 6th)

Algebra 2

Spanish 1

Biology

9th (at the public school)

Pre-AP English 9

Advanced Earth Science

Pre-AP World History

Pre-AP GEometry

Spanish 2

Word Processing

Health and P.E.

10th

Ancient History

Ancient Literature

Chemistry

Spanish 3

Speech and Commincations

Driver's Ed

(tried doing precalc at home but that didn't work)

11th

AP American History

American Lit or AP British Lit

Functions/Trig (at the public school)

Bible

Logic

IEW Writing

Computer (learning Excel and Powerpoint)

12th

Government

American Lit or British Lit

Advanced Biology

Bible

Rhetoric

?elective

He is involved in the youth choir at church and next year we expect him to have a part time job.

9th:

Am. Lit & "English 9" (grammar and writing) (1 -- credit)

Am. History (1)

Algebra 1 (1)

PE (.5)

Art (.5)

Phys. Sci. (1)

Geography (1)

10th:

Brit. Lit & "English 10" (1)

Am. Gov't (.5)

Econ (.5)

French 1 (1) (or other foreign lang. depending on kid)

Algebra 2 (1)

Biology (1)

11th:

World Lit & "English 11" (1)

World Lit, part 1, History (1)

Chemistry (1)

Consumer Math (1)

Advanced Math (1)

French 2 (1)(or other foreign lang. depending on kid)

12th:

20th Cent. Lit & "English 12" (1)

World Lit, part 2, History (1)

Physics (1)

Calculus (1)

This is the plan. . .or rather how it will come up in the transcript. DS1 is math / science smart so he's moving quickly through all of them. (He'll be done by the end of 11th -- he's in 10th now.)

We are actually doing Am Hist / Gov't / Econ together, but taking 2 years to complete them. (That gets rather "messy" on a transcript though. . .)

The boys seem to want to do some CC course work during their last 2 years, so I'm not too interested in doing a "full load" then.

Holly,

For literature, I used the WTM, WEM, and Reading Lists for College-Bound Students to help guide me in choosing which lit books/plays/poetry to read.

Cynde

What is WEM? I tried finding the acronym list on this site but can't find it.

Thanks

Holly

In 8th grade we are doing a comprehensive world geography course, IPC, and Algebra I. Then, in high school, we'll be able to do:

MATH

Finish Geometry, Algebra II sequence, then look at our options for precal and beyond... perhaps community college for dual credit.

SCIENCE

9th - Biology

10th- Chemistry

11th- Advanced Biology or community college

12th- Something - depends on interest

HISTORY

I'm hoping that the SWB's adult series will be released on a schedule that will allow us to use them as our spine, along with WTM and TWEM for history/great books study. If not, I don't know what we'll do. We might look at AP courses and build a plan around the ones we're interested in. Gotta work in gov/econ somehow.

LANGUAGE

What I'm aiming for is Cothran's Rhetoric and then Corbett's book. Will probably have to hire a writing coach. Finish Cothran's logic series first (started in middle school).

Latin/foreign language - by 9th grade, dd will have completed Latin III, and I will not require she go further. If she wants to, fine, but I won't require it. Will do three years of modern foreign language (that seems to be the norm around here) - probably Spanish because a very good instructor offers classes to homeschoolers in our area. Hope she sticks around!

OTHER

Stuff we are doing and will likely continue in some form or fashion):

Orchestra

Swim Team

Tennis

Christian Youth Theatre (drama/voice/dance)

Attend broadway plays/operas/shakespeare every year

I'm sure I've forgotten something. But that's the nuts and bolts.

Great thread!

Robin

HISTORY

I'm hoping that the SWB's adult series will be released on a schedule that will allow us to use them as our spine, along with WTM and TWEM for history/great books study. If not, I don't know what we'll do. We might look at AP courses and build a plan around the ones we're interested in. Gotta work in gov/econ somehow.

That's my plan for my kids too.

DS1 will only have the 1st book, though; DS2 will have first 2 (possibly 3). And then my other kids will be good to go!

I had next year all planned out for my 9th graders, with Spielvogel's HO and TOG...

And my kids are clamoring to use SWB's new book.

That I bought for myself, lol.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it, with the Spielvogel in the wings, as a backup.

I'm not sure of the schedule for the rest of the series' release, but...it's a great book. How can I say no?

Here's what DD did (graduates next month)

CC = comm college

9th:

British and World Lit thru Shakespeare

Middle Ages / Reformation World History

Geometry

Biology with labs

Spanish 1

Ballet

10th:

British and World Lit thru Moderns

Modern World History

Algebra 2

Chemistry w/labs

Spanish 2

Ballet

11th:

American Literature

American History

US Government (Teen Pact)

Precalculus

Astronomy (CC)

Spanish 3

Broadcast journalism internship

Ballet

12th:

College Algebra (CC)

Ancient Civilizations (CC)

Music Appreciation (CC)

Computer Office Applications (CC)

Ballet

Okay, let's see what I've got...

Math

9: Algebra 1 (Saxon)

10: Algebra 2 (Saxon)

11: Consumer Math

12: nothing

Science

9: Astronomy & Earth Science (putting together my own program of good books, Joy of Science DVDs, and labs)

10: Biology

11: Chemistry or Physics

History (TRISMS)

9: Middle Ages

10: Early Modern & Canadian

11: Modern 1 & Canadian

12: Modern 2 & Canadian

English (TRISMS: Lit and IEW, I'll probably be adding on some of my own)

9: Literature from the Middle Ages

10: Early Modern Lit

11: Modern Lit 1

12: Modern Lit 2

French

9: Easy French 2

10: Easy French 3

11: French Lit???

Other

Bible: Church History and other good books each year

Art, Music, and Architecture: TRISMS

Logic & Rhetoric: Finish Traditional Logic 2 in Grade 9, continue with TRISMS

PE: Co-op

Electives: We'll have fun looking into those each year!

as we are approaching the midpoint of this journey...

History/Great Books ala TWTM

9th Ancients

10th Medieval/Early Renaissance

11th Late Renaissance/Early Modern

12th Modern

Check off 9th and 10th as planned using Spielvogel, WTM reading lists and Teaching company lectures. I would not have changed a thing regarding this aspect of our program.

What has happened though is that my son has become smitten with history. (I should have recognized this when he was reading every Albert Marrin book he could find at the library in 7th and 8th, but I was still convinced that he was an engineer or biologist in the making!) We will continue with the above plan, but I will also see about including some CC or university history or archaeology courses in his program during the last two years.

Additional language/rhetoric resources have included Vocab from Classical Roots, A Rulebook for Arguments, The Oxford Guide to Writing.

Mathematics

9th Geometry-Isidore Dressler (an oldie that goes back to the early '70's, written for those sitting the Regent's Exam)

10th Algebra II/Trig - Dolciani; Modern Trig - Dolciani, Beckenbach

11th Modern Introductory Analysis - Dolciani, Beckenbach

12th Calculus (not sure which text I'll use--AP test most likely)

Latin

9th Oxford II

10th Oxford III, Latin Mythica

11th Ovid and Catullus (Legamus Readers from Bolchazy), Cicero (AP workbook Bolchazy)

12th Aeneid

NLE will be taken during these years; probably AP Latin test in 12th.

My son loves mythology and classic literature and has requested taking the Medusa Mythology Exam next year.

Science

9th Conceptual Physics

10th Biology with the heavyweight Campbell (including AP exam)

11th Chemistry at the CC (fall semester); More Chemistry or Environmental Science in the spring

12 Physics at the university??

French

9th and 10th French in Action

This is the subject that I always think we are going to cut since it tends to be backburnered regularly. Then we have our bursts of energy and manage to get caught up. Now that my son thinks he wants to be a medieval historian, he sees the need for French. So I guess we're hanging in there with this subject.

His life also includes a full range of extra-curricular activities.

I'm sure that I left something out which is why I'm glad that we now have an editing function!

Jane

What has happened though is that my son has become smitten with history. (I should have recognized this when he was reading every Albert Marrin book he could find at the library in 7th and 8th, but I was still convinced that he was an engineer or biologist in the making!) We will continue with the above plan, but I will also see about including some CC or university history or archaeology courses in his program during the last two years.

I'm reading Albert Marrin's War of 1812 right now - I love it! I plan to have my dd read it when we cover this period in history. His narratives really draw you in. I can see how his style would be a hit with boys.

My older kids have done a mix of things, but this is what my current 9th grader's will look like:

9th:

Saxon Alg 1

Notgrass Exploring America

Apologia Biology

Rod & Staff English 8

Lit from Notgrass EA

Henle II

SOS Spanish I

10th:

Saxon Alg II

Notgrass Exploring World History

BJU Chemistry

BJU Writing & Grammar 10

Lit from Notgrass EWH

IEW SWI C

Henle III

SOS Spanish II

11th:

Saxon Advanced Math

Notgrass Government

BJU Physics ( or community college)

BJU Writing & Grammar 11

BJU 11th Literature or some Lightening Lit

IEW SWI CC

Henle IV

12th:

Community College-math of some sort lol

Economics-probably BJU

BJU Writing & grammar 12

BJU 12th Literature or some Lightening Lit

IEW Advanced Communication Series

The rest of my kids should follow this general schedule, unless I change my mind (again lol):

9th:

BJU Algebra I

BJU: Physical Science

BJU Writing & Grammar 9

IEW SCI C ( maybe?)

TOG-whatever year we are on

Latin in the Christian Trivium I

BJU Spanish I

10th:

BJU Geometry

BJU: Biology

BJU Writing & Grammar 10

IEW SWI CC (maybe?)

Latin in the Christian Trivium II

BJU Spanish II

11th:

BJU: Algebra II

BJU: Chemistry

BJU Writing & Grammar 11

Advanced Communication Series(maybe?)

Latin in the Christian Trivium III

BJU Spanish III

BJU Government

12th:

BJU: Pre-Calculus

BJU: Physics ( or community college)

BJU Writing & Grammar 12

Latin in the Christian Trivium IV

BJU Economics

Comminuty College-electives, maybe just one each semester if they want to.

I have another year to think about that! I want to take a look at whatever textbook is being used currently. But I may end up put something together myself using the internet, Canadian History for Dummies, Canada: My Country videos, and living books.

If you find anything good, please let us know!

Orchestra

Swim Team

Tennis

Christian Youth Theatre (drama/voice/dance)

Attend broadway plays/operas/shakespeare every year

CYT takes up so much of our time. Between classes and rehearsals, we have three days a week devoted to CYT. With drive time, that's 16 hours a week. I need a swift kick to get me motivated to get my teens doing more extracurriculars than just CYT after seeing what everyone else's kids are doing!

If we did CYT all three semesters, I would go bonkers. CYT will be new to us next year - up until now she has done a play every semester with children's choir at church. One CYT play a year is all we will be able to handle. That's only ten weeks of craziness a year :).

Swim team and tennis is in my neighborhood, the rec center being walking distance from the house. I'm counting this as her p.e. If she didn't do this, she wouldn't get any exercise EVER. She has no siblings/neighbors to play with. The swim team is not a summer intensive swim team - it is a year round swim team (heated pool) that doesn't require participation in meets. She just goes two or three times a week for a swim workout, and that's about it.

Orchestra is once a week, and it's not really advanced. A weekly hour of playing with others.

The plays we attend are student matinees. About five a year, in the morning, over by noon.

I think it sounded like we do a lot more than what we really do. If we did CYT full time - all three productions a year - I would drop orchestra and tennis. And I'd still probably go nuts :).

And I'm sure we're not doing NEARLY as much in academics that others here are doing. Of that, I am certain. We all have the same hours in every day... in our house, performing arts is high on our priority list (whereas science or history/literature might be higher on others' lists).

I'm sorry if it sounded like we were super-homeschoolers or something! LOL Believe me, we're not. You'd probably be pretty disgusted with me if you knew what DIDN'T get done around here!

Robin

I would love to see yours! I need to compare notes.

I just ran across this thread having just returned from a meeting with our state's homeschool accountability board where I shared with them my 4 year plan for dd (rising 10th grader). I decided to take a minute to share here in hopes that I can also benefit by solidifying some new thoughts gained at the meeting. :001_smile:

By subject: (Note: the last two years especially, we will attempt AP or Dual Credit coursework where applicable/feasible depending upon dd's strengths at that point in time and other factors such as availability of currently availability stellar tutors in our areal; all of this is covered in prayer trusting the Lord to "guide us and direct us, counsel us and watch over us"!)

English: I-IV Honors (lit, vocab, and composition as taught by a local former homeschooling woman who also happens to grade essays for the SAT.) (She uses the Adventures in series by Holt, Rhinehart, and Winston for Lit, Vocabulary Workshop series for Vocab., and More Reading Comprehension worksbooks plus Jensen's Format Writing). At home I'll be working dd through Analytical Grammar as outlined in that curriculum.

Math: Saxon Alg 1, 2, Adv Math, Calculus

Science: Bio I, Chem I, Chem II, Physics (Apologia)

Social Studies: Am Govt/Econ (Abeka), US History, World History (the last two will be taught using some sort of literature based curricula)

Foreign Language: Spanish I-III (local homeschool tutor) will be finished by the end of the 10th grade year; The last two years of high school will probably be spent doing *AP or CC coursework for continuity (CLEP, maybe?)

PE: ballet, running

Electives:

Latin I-III will be finished by the end of the 11th grade (Wheelock's) so the last year will be spent much like Spanish*

Fine Arts (drama, human video, choir work through the Fine Arts academy at our church)

Music: piano/violin (private lessons on each) with orchestra participation

(Ballet) once PE requirement fulfilled

Piano/Violin cited as separate electives once music elective requirements are fulfilled

Community Service (volunteer, time based)

Driver's Ed

Keyboarding (Typing Instructor Deluxe)/Computer Applications Alpha Omega software teaching programs

Home Ec??

Photography?? (or other special interest)