Menu

Got my Spielvogel in. Any scheduling ideas???

I got this book in. Gosh it's intimidating!! I'm using the high school one (I'm upstairs and the book is downstairs and I'll be darned if I can remember the actual name - it is NOT the Western Civ one).

Anyway, does anyone have a "plan" they used to go through this that they'd be willing to share?

Does anyone have any suggestions for boosting my brain function so I can remember things??

Is this the one? http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078607027/

I purchased a syllabus and questions from Oak Meadow. I love the project options they give. I think we are going to do SL 300 with the old book they used to sell and just use the 20th century portion of the textbook to add a 2nd perspective. Ds does not want to cover ancient history again or at least not right now.

Is this the one? http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078607027/

I purchased a syllabus and questions from Oak Meadow. I love the project options they give. I think we are going to do SL 300 with the old book they used to sell and just use the 20th century portion of the textbook to add a 2nd perspective. Ds does not want to cover ancient history again or at least not right now.

We're going to do the same thing. The Glencoe site has some great sites to go along with the books! Thanks for suggesting it.

I bought World History-The Human Odyssey from Amazon...after getting it in, I have to admit it looks a little overwhelming to me. The ISBN# is0-314-20561-6. It doesn't look like the one shown in the previous post so I am wondering if I ordered the wrong one. I ordered this one after reading a post about Spielvogel history.

World History: The Human Odyssey is the same one I ordered as well. What can I say? The price was right!! The book is like new and I paid $9 for it!

It looks to be quite comprehensive, so I am not displeased. I want to bring in my own religious POV so we will use a lot of other resources along the way.

Could I use it over 2 years with supplementation and extra resources and break it into an early World History and maybe a later World History (not sure what I'd call it), then do a US history??

Ideas? Suggestions? Scheduling?

Thanks!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
World History: The Human Odyssey is the same one I ordered as well. What can I say? The price was right!! The book is like new and I paid $9 for it!

It looks to be quite comprehensive, so I am not displeased. I want to bring in my own religious POV so we will use a lot of other resources along the way.

Could I use it over 2 years with supplementation and extra resources and break it into an early World History and maybe a later World History (not sure what I'd call it), then do a US history??

Thanks!

I don't have that text (I use Spielvogel's college World History text as a resource) but our history covers world history over 4 years and thought you might find our course descriptions helpful if you decide to break it up over more than 1 year.

9th - Ancient World History

10th - Classical & Medieval History

11th - European History (it's still world history but the most time is spent on Europe)

12th - US History (still world history but more time spent on US History. If done over 2 years: Modern World History and Modern US History)

Thanks!

Jean in Wisc has a schedule on her blog. I'm not sure where, but I'm sure there is a link someone posted recently.

I have Human Odyssey and I plan to use it over the four years of high school. I'm not quite sure how yet, but I know according to the teacher's manual they plan 4-5 days per chapter, which seems very rushed.

My current plan is to do about 8 chapters, not this year but starting next, that one unit plus an additional chapter. We plan to add great books and literature to round out the history schedule.

I was able to find the TM for very cheap. Here's the one I bought, I don't have acess to the ISBN of my student text right now, but it matches mine.

We're using Human Odyssey over two years - ancient and medieval next year. I'm still working on the schedule.

I have the TM, too - huge help to have answers to all the questions! I plan on adding in geography using MapTrek and the corresponding HO map book (ISBN 031414174).

I plan on using the thinking critically questions for essay practice and giving tests from the end of chapter questions.

Edited by sandra in va

We're using Human Odyssey over two years - ancient and medieval next year. I'm still working on the schedule.

I have the TM, too - huge help to have answers to all the questions! I plan on adding in geography using MapTrek and the corresponding HO map book (ISBN 031414174).

I plan on using the thinking critically questions for essay practice and giving tests from the end of chapter questions.

Thanks for your post... I'm trying to decide which text to buy for my 9th grader next year. We'll be doing early Modern (1600-1850). Have you used Human Odyssey (Spielvogel) yet? Is it engaging? Does it cover eastern hemisphere well? (I can't see TOC online. Also, I've heard Western Civ only lightly covers eastern cultures wondering if HO is the same).

Can you give me the ISBN for the text, TM?

What is MapTrek??

I'm assuming the ISBN you gave was for the HO Map book? I entered it on Amazon & Ailbris.com but neither returned any books. Where did you purchase it??

Thanks so much for your help :001_smile:

Thanks!

Stacey,

Can I ask - where did you find HO for $9 and in such great shape??

Thanks

Thanks for your post... I'm trying to decide which text to buy for my 9th grader next year. We'll be doing early Modern (1600-1850). Have you used Human Odyssey (Spielvogel) yet? Is it engaging? Does it cover eastern hemisphere well? (I can't see TOC online. Also, I've heard Western Civ only lightly covers eastern cultures wondering if HO is the same).

Can you give me the ISBN for the text, TM?

What is MapTrek??

I'm assuming the ISBN you gave was for the HO Map book? I entered it on Amazon & Ailbris.com but neither returned any books. Where did you purchase it??

Thanks so much for your help :001_smile:

Hi,

We haven't used HO yet - next year will be our first. :) The text is engaging - I showed it to my dd and she wanted to start reading it right then. (I hope that continues!) It is a hefty book with 1121 pages. It does cover Eastern hemispheres...here's the toc (sorry about the caps - trying to do it quickly):

unit 1 - first civilizations and rise of empires (prehistory to 500 ad)

1 first humans

2 first civilizations: the peoples of western asia and egypt

3 the first civilizations: ancient india

4 the first civilizations: ancient china

5 the civilization of the greeks

6 the world of the romans

unit 2 - new patterns of civilization (400-1500)

7 world of the americans

8 world of islam

9 early civ's in africa

10 golden ages in east asia

11 civs in south asia and se asia

12 emergence of european civ and the world of the byzantine empire

13 european civ in the middle ages

unit 3 - emergence of new world patterns (1400-1800)

14 rebirth and reform in europe: age of the renaissance and reformation

15 crisis and state building in europe

16 new horizons: emergence of new world patterns

17 muslim empires

18 east asian world

19 toward a new heaven and a new earth: an intellectual revolution in the west

20 on the eve of a new world order

unit 4 - modern patterns of world history: era of european dominance (1800-1914)

21 beginnings of modernization: industrialization and nationalism

22 mass society and the national state in the western world

23 the high tide of imperialism: an age of western dominance

24 black guns in the pacific: east asia in an age of imperialism

unit 5 - crisis of the 20th century

25 beginning of the 20th-cent crisis: war and revolution

26 depression, democracy, and dictatorship: western world between world wars

27 nationalism, revolution and dictatorship: middle east, africa, asia, and latin america

28 crisis deepens - wwII

unit 6

29 cold war and a new order in the west

30 changing world of the superpowers: contemporary western world

31 conflict and challenge in latin america

32 challenges of nation building in africa and middle east

33 toward the pacific century: development of the asian nations

34 epilogue: toward a global civilization - challenges and hopes

Each chapter contains from 2-5 different subsections with section reviews. There is a review section at the end of each chapter. The text is CR 1998. I bought it used in a set from someone on the for sale board. It came with the Teacher Guide, 2 student texts, map book, student study guide, and another related workbook for around $50.

Here are the ISBN's from my books:

student - 0314205616

teacher - 0314205624

The map book is called "Map Workbook Exploring the world to accompany World History the Human Odyssey" by James Lloyd by West Educational Publishing, 1998 - 031414174X (sorry, I left off the X the first time!)

It seems the early modern part would be in unit 3. I know some on the boards (Lori D. comes to mind) uses portions of the book each year that correspond with the time period her kids are studying. I have heard that the text leans a little liberal and it is good to have alternative texts to read through for more perspective.

MapTrek is put out by Knowledge quest who makes blackline maps. It has maps for world history for ele through high school with instructions and keys.

Hope this helps!

Hi Stacey,

I plan to use the Human Odyssey book this year for World History, along with Global History outlines from a school district here in NY. I'll link you to the pages: normally the requirement in NYS is 2 yrs Global History with the first year covering Africa, Asia, and Latin America, and the second year covering Greece, Rome, Europe and N. America, but we are going to do it in one year + next summer if we need it.

Global Studies 9

http://www.pittsfordschools.org/programs.cfm?subpage=1092

Global Studies 10

http://www.pittsfordschools.org/programs.cfm?subpage=1094

Today I started creating a schedule that will align the HO book, the Pittsford Syllabi, and literature and films I would like to include. If you like the looks of this outline pm me and I will send you what I have done after a few days.

HTH

Hi,

We haven't used HO yet - next year will be our first. :) The text is engaging - I showed it to my dd and she wanted to start reading it right then. (I hope that continues!) It is a hefty book with 1121 pages. It does cover Eastern hemispheres...here's the toc (sorry about the caps - trying to do it quickly):

unit 1 - first civilizations and rise of empires (prehistory to 500 ad)

1 first humans

2 first civilizations: the peoples of western asia and egypt

3 the first civilizations: ancient india

4 the first civilizations: ancient china

5 the civilization of the greeks

6 the world of the romans

unit 2 - new patterns of civilization (400-1500)

7 world of the americans

8 world of islam

9 early civ's in africa

10 golden ages in east asia

11 civs in south asia and se asia

12 emergence of european civ and the world of the byzantine empire

13 european civ in the middle ages

unit 3 - emergence of new world patterns (1400-1800)

14 rebirth and reform in europe: age of the renaissance and reformation

15 crisis and state building in europe

16 new horizons: emergence of new world patterns

17 muslim empires

18 east asian world

19 toward a new heaven and a new earth: an intellectual revolution in the west

20 on the eve of a new world order

unit 4 - modern patterns of world history: era of european dominance (1800-1914)

21 beginnings of modernization: industrialization and nationalism

22 mass society and the national state in the western world

23 the high tide of imperialism: an age of western dominance

24 black guns in the pacific: east asia in an age of imperialism

unit 5 - crisis of the 20th century

25 beginning of the 20th-cent crisis: war and revolution

26 depression, democracy, and dictatorship: western world between world wars

27 nationalism, revolution and dictatorship: middle east, africa, asia, and latin america

28 crisis deepens - wwII

unit 6

29 cold war and a new order in the west

30 changing world of the superpowers: contemporary western world

31 conflict and challenge in latin america

32 challenges of nation building in africa and middle east

33 toward the pacific century: development of the asian nations

34 epilogue: toward a global civilization - challenges and hopes

Each chapter contains from 2-5 different subsections with section reviews. There is a review section at the end of each chapter. The text is CR 1998. I bought it used in a set from someone on the for sale board. It came with the Teacher Guide, 2 student texts, map book, student study guide, and another related workbook for around $50.

Here are the ISBN's from my books:

student - 0314205616

teacher - 0314205624

The map book is called "Map Workbook Exploring the world to accompany World History the Human Odyssey" by James Lloyd by West Educational Publishing, 1998 - 031414174X (sorry, I left off the X the first time!)

It seems the early modern part would be in unit 3. I know some on the boards (Lori D. comes to mind) uses portions of the book each year that correspond with the time period her kids are studying. I have heard that the text leans a little liberal and it is good to have alternative texts to read through for more perspective.

MapTrek is put out by Knowledge quest who makes blackline maps. It has maps for world history for ele through high school with instructions and keys.

Hope this helps!

Sandra,

Thanks so much for listing the TOC! What a great help!

Also, thank you for the ISBN numbers. You wrote that you have two student texts will the one ISBN cover both? Also, is the student study guide worth purchasing? If so, can you possibly give me that ISBN?

Thanks for letting me know about the liberal slant. Have you read any posts for what people are adding alongside HO for another perspective?? I am also researching SWB recommendations for early modern (America - A Narrative History by Tindall and A History of Asia by Murphey). It would be much easier to use 1 text, but I'm sure the two seperate texts would be more thorough! lol. I wish our local library had these titles for me to look at (Borders doesn't have them in-store either), even used the Tindall & Murphey books aren't cheap...

Thank you for your help!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

Sandra,

Thanks so much for listing the TOC! What a great help!

Also, thank you for the ISBN numbers. You wrote that you have two student texts will the one ISBN cover both? Also, is the student study guide worth purchasing? If so, can you possibly give me that ISBN?

Thanks for letting me know about the liberal slant. Have you read any posts for what people are adding alongside HO for another perspective?? I am also researching SWB recommendations for early modern (America - A Narrative History by Tindall and A History of Asia by Murphey). It would be much easier to use 1 text, but I'm sure the two seperate texts would be more thorough! lol. I wish our local library had these titles for me to look at (Borders doesn't have them in-store either), even used the Tindall & Murphey books aren't cheap...

Thank you for your help!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

Sorry, Sangita - I missed your post! There is only one student text with the ISBN above - she just sold me two copies.

I think the study guide looks great - it has timelines, chapter outlines (with fill in the blanks), graphic organizers to fill in, names and places to remember (t/f, matching), and a practice test for each chapter. These are just examples from one chapter. The ISBN for the study guide is 0314224963

I've not seen the books you mentioned - so I'm no help there. Lori D. had mentioned using Notgrass as an alternative WH text. We have that already, so I think we'll use that as a second book - just to read through.

Best to you for next year...let me know if you have any more questions!

Sandra

The ones that are written to go with the "Human Odyssey" book?

If so, what did you think of them?

I have it...but I haven't had the chance to read it through much. It has 44 readings that correlate with the chapters - at least one per chapter sometimes 2-3. The chapters that don't have a lit selection are 12, 17, 19.

The selections are typically 2 pages or so and there are a few questions for discussion after each one. Here are some examples of the selections:

The Bhagavadgita, The Art of War, Paul's Letter to the Corinthians, Scheherazade, The Travels of Marco Polo, The Divine Comedy, and The Life of a Chinese Woman.

I don't know how much we'll be using the book this year...we'll have to see how it goes.

Hope this helps!

I had already e-mailed Jean and gotten that schedule. I realized it when I went to her blog to print it.

I can't WAIT to leave my job. My brain does NOT function properly anymore!! FOUR MORE WEEKS!!!

Oh, forgot to say congrats on being able to leave your job! Hope the four weeks fly by. :)