Menu

Am I going to be able to successfully wash cat pee out of hand-me-down clothing?

So a new friend offers me kid clothing. And then in the course of the conversation reveals that one of her cats pees on her dirty laundry. I didn't think much of it until I opened the bag and got an overwhelming whiff, ewww!

So I put the bag in the garage so my cat doesn't get any thoughts about marking.

Today there's room for a couple extra loads. I took it from the garage to the wash machine and put it on a sanitary cycle. I opened the door and it stinks like cat pee still. My cat even came over for a whiff.

Is this a lost cause or is there a way to use these super cute outfits.

If it is at all possible you might get it out with a biological solution like Nature's Miracle (the formula specifically for cats). I'd soak the clothes in it for several days. If that stuff doesn't get it out then probably nothing will. Good luck!

Put the clothing in the washer and fill the tub with cold water. Add 1-2 cups of Petzyme (or similar product). Soak 2-3 hours--or better yet--overnight.

Wash the next day as usual. Put through a second rinse cycle with some vinegar added (1/2 cup should do).

Let clothing air dry if at all possible. This allows the enzymes to continue working.

Don't ask me how I know this works....

uggggg.

there is a product I've had great success with (I used to volunteer at a food ministry where the mousers would pee on the jackets we left there)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/841670/Zep-High-Traffic-Carpet-Cleaner-1/?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Google-_-Cleaning_and_Breakroom-_-841670

This has an enzyme that gets cat pee. Its cheaper at Home Depot. I use it for pee in carpet too but it works on clothes (I pour a lot in the washer - 2 cups) and just run as usual.

Please let me know if this works.

Lara

I would certainly think you should be able to wash it out of clothes. I'd try hot water, lots of high quality detergent, on a long/stain cycle. If that doesn't do it, I'd add clorox bleach on the next cycle through. I've found that bleach only damages maybe 10% of kids clothes, and have salved many outfits of all colors with judicious use of clorox.

Basic H from Shaklee finally made it happen. The clothing is stink free. :D

I tried two sanitary cycles back to back with petzyme and I was surprised they still smelled.

I soaked them as ya'll said to do. I did end up drying them because I don't have a line.

Whew! Only 3 more bags of clothing. She gave me 3T - 6 clothing for my little princess including winter coats so I'm very happy to have gotten them clean.

My kitty didn't run up to check out the laundry machine after the Basic H application. I think that's a great sign!

Thank you again for all your thoughts.