Menu

I am starting to think pot pucks are a scam.

I agree with this too. We have a big house. As a result, we often host get-togethers with our circle of friends for all of those times we're together and someone says "when are we doing the next get-together?" The cooks (some are women and some are men in our circle) get together and I say "I'm making this and this. What would you guys like to bring?" If Mary Jane says "oh, I don't care," then, I say "will you bring dessert/an appetizer/your fabulous crab bread/whatever." That is different than hosting a party.

We have a group of friends which operate the same way. One family has the largest house/property and pool so we usually do the same type conversations and everyone brings something...but this, to me, is not a *potluck*. I mean, we always know what is being brought and how much for the number who will be attending. Good food, good fellowship!

We do a lot of potluck events (boy scout picnics, etc.) I think they are fine. Sometimes it is not appropriate, though. We went to a combination "thank you" and "first birthday" party. The thank you was for all the families that had helped this particular family out during some rough times. It was potluck. :001_huh: So we brought two dishes AND a birthday gift to a party to thank us for all of our help. :lol:

I understand regulations for potlucks, though. We used to do potlucks with our old homeschool group, and people would show up with their whole family and a little plate of ten cookies. :glare: Then they would load up their plates. My rule of thumb has always been: If this was all our family had to eat for dinner, would it fill us up? If everyone followed that, there would be exactly enough food.

I've almost decided to boycott our church potlucks. I feel like I have to parent *all* the kids! Parents allow their littles to go through the line and stack their plates high only to take a few bites and dump the rest in the garbage. I've mentioned it to the "powers that be" only to be told they feel the same way but don't know what to do about it.

The last few times the parents have been instructed to accompany kids under 10 through the line. I have to say that it seems to have helped some.

I agree. There have been times that I didn't want to deal with cooking, so we scheduled a party for 2 pm and just did cake and ice cream.

I agree with this too. We have a big house. As a result, we often host get-togethers with our circle of friends for all of those times we're together and someone says "when are we doing the next get-together?" The cooks (some are women and some are men in our circle) get together and I say "I'm making this and this. What would you guys like to bring?" If Mary Jane says "oh, I don't care," then, I say "will you bring dessert/an appetizer/your fabulous crab bread/whatever." That is different than hosting a party.

Ok, I need to know what fabulous crab bread is...

I learn something new here all the time. I did not know so many people had bad potluck experiences. Ime, sharing food can be such a lovely way to be together. Food is so personal and can be so special.

I went to a' local food' gathering today and my mouth is still watering. :tongue_smilie:lol Eveyone brought something wonderful and there was plenty. The host was esp sweet in that she had food ready for the little ones as soon as everyone arrived. Some of the adults helped the children, and some of the adults finsihed up at the grill and chatted. Kids did not have to eat, but hungry children didn't have to wait. The food was lovely and the adults helped the children make their plates. I didn't see any drooling or nose -picking or heaps of wasted food.

Edited by LibraryLover

I've had a lot of good potluck experiences. Most of those are family gatherings, though. My dh comes from a family of 7 kids, all of whom had several kids themselves. I have 30 nieces and nephews, not including their spouses (and their children!), so when we have a gathering there is usually anywhere from 50-75 people there. Our rule for family potluck is: Can I get 75 fat serving spoonfuls out of this dish? If yes, you made enough of that thing, if not, make a second dish. We also coordinate a bit on who is bringing what category of food. We don't say "You bring taco salad, and you bring chicken casserole" but we do decide how many are bringing main dishes, side dishes, salads, dessert, appetizers and drinks. Whoever brings drinks does not have to bring alcohol. If people want alcohol, they are expected to BYOB. We also have a little unwritten rule that chips are not an appetizer. We save the role of "chip bringer" for the one sil who can't cook. She still gets to pitch in, but no one has forced her to cook, and by gosh, that woman brings the most amazing variety of chips you've ever seen!

There is always a place at the table for the chips/drinks/dip/extra ice/wine people. :D

I've had a lot of good potluck experiences. Most of those are family gatherings, though. My dh comes from a family of 7 kids, all of whom had several kids themselves. I have 30 nieces and nephews, not including their spouses (and their children!), so when we have a gathering there is usually anywhere from 50-75 people there. Our rule for family potluck is: Can I get 75 fat serving spoonfuls out of this dish? If yes, you made enough of that thing, if not, make a second dish. We also coordinate a bit on who is bringing what category of food. We don't say "You bring taco salad, and you bring chicken casserole" but we do decide how many are bringing main dishes, side dishes, salads, dessert, appetizers and drinks. Whoever brings drinks does not have to bring alcohol. If people want alcohol, they are expected to BYOB. We also have a little unwritten rule that chips are not an appetizer. We save the role of "chip bringer" for the one sil who can't cook. She still gets to pitch in, but no one has forced her to cook, and by gosh, that woman brings the most amazing variety of chips you've ever seen!

My grandmother stayed very close to her siblings all of her life. They got together, for Sunday dinner every week. My grandfather who was working in a Dr. Pepper bottling company and raising 6 kids always resented being the one to bring the pot roast while another relative only brought a pie. It really negatively affected their marriage.

The only pot luck we ever go to is for goat club. It's almost all adults. I've never seen any problems.

We visited a church once that had a meal every Sunday. The adult women went through the line first, then the men, then the girls, and finally the boys. It was pretty nice.

Parents allow their littles to go through the line and stack their plates high only to take a few bites and dump the rest in the garbage.

This is what happens at church and at our family reunions. I go through the line with my kids (only the youngest now) and make sure that they only take what they are able to eat.

It really peeves me at the family reunion :glare:. One family in particular lets their kids pile their plates and then the full plate gets left on the table after a bite or two. They do the same thing thing at Thanksgiving.