Menu

AP Scores!

Ds. just got his AP scores! He has a 5, 5, and a 4. He was a bit disappointed with his 4 for AP Lang. but we are celebrating. How did everyone do?

Thank you to all of you wonderful ladies on this board for sharing your journeys.

Blessings.

Wow, what great scores on 3 tests! :hurray: Congratulations.

My dd got a 5 in Art History. :hurray:

I am using the excitement over that score to try to plan a couple more for next year...Env. Sci? US Govt? Psych? The problem is that she's considering 2 colleges, and one of them gives credit for the AP tests...the other one doesn't. :(

I would love it if those taking the AP tests would tell us what texts/online programs/co-ops they used to prepare..did they use AP prep tests or not? My son starts 9th grade and he will be taking Chemistry and Biology next May...I was given an AP Biology text course but it is sooo dense I'm not sure if we should cover it all or hit specific chapters...he's already completed the Bob Jones Biology course this past Spring..and he is using Amsco for Chemistry starting next month...thanks so much for your help!

Congrats to your kids and know it's a wonderful day when they get those good scores!! :)

Tara

Dd got hers today, too! She was very thankful to have received a 5 on all four of the exams she took this year: English Literature & Composition, Physics C Mechanics, Physics C Electricity & Magnetism, and Calculus BC. She worked very, very hard on her studies and is so happy that she will get credit for these courses.

APs have been a great thing for my dd. She's learned how to apply herself to difficult subjects and deal with the high pressure of the tests. She liked the material and the challenge. Well, maybe not Physics C Mechanics (a certain problem with cats sliding around on ice with logs comes to mind). She now has enough home study credits to be 1 short of college junior status (couldn't be a junior going in because of her scholarship). Our dream of being able to provide college-level study for her at home has become a reality.

For those of you who starting out with APs, I suggest you begin with a search on these boards for the following topics:

AP self study

AP _________________ (fill in the blank with the specific course in which you are interested)

AP on line course

Also, a thread in that has some general guidelines for AP self-study planning:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186956

You will find a wealth of information on this board. You will hopefully get answers to some of your questions by searching.

I've found this college at home stuff to be a process. Enjoy the journey - you will get there!

Congratulations to all!

GardenMom

Wow, Congratulations!

Where did he take these classes?

How did he prepare?

Starting the AP track next year.

Thanks for sharing your success, it is inspiring and encouraging!

Ds. took two courses with PA Homeschoolers and one with a class offered locally. We are very pleased with PA Homeschoolers and plan on continuing with them next year.

For prep. he followed the syllabus and did all the assigned work faithfully and worked with a prep book in the end.

Moms in the Garden, thank you for sharing always. Congrats to you and your dd.! Your posts have been very helpful and inspiring.

5 in Biology here!

She took Apologia Biology followed by Human Anatomy.

She used the Barons study guide and lots of internet study to "fill in the gaps".

We are very pleased, because she came away from the test thinking she had not done very well. When I jokingly told her she got a 2 (she's away from home) she believed me!

My ds has only taken one AP, and won't take any others most likely. He took Calc BC with Ms. Gilleran this past year and got a 5 on the exam. It was a wonderful class-he loved it. She is really a great teacher. I hope I would still be saying this if he didn't do so well!

I will definitely use PA homeschoolers for classes for my next child, a rising eighth grader.

Eldest ds will spend next year as an exchange student and return for a "senior" year, but likely it will just be straight college classes. Hats off to those of you whose kids have taken several APs and done so well! It is a big accomplishment.