Menu

Martial Arts for kids

Ds has been in Jiu Jitsu since he was 5. He was in Japanese Jiu Jitsu for 5 years and has been in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) for 2. The Japanese dojo was slow paced and had more kicks. The Brazilian dojo has more grappling and is more fast paced. He loves BJJ. It is a mixed martial art form similar to what they use in UFC and cage fighting, but that's not what the kids are taught. It is a very controlled environment, but the kids grapple with each other in each and every class. There are tons of aerobic and stretching warm ups. I am highly impressed with the work out ds gets. We (parents and dojo) have a rule that BJJ cannot be used outside of the dojo unless ds is defending himself, and even then ds has the responsibility to judge the amount of force warranted to protect only. The dojo also teaches self control; that altercations don't have to reach a physical level. Basically, they aren't being taught to fight in the street, they are being taught to compete (if they want) or to excel at the moves.

Tae Kwon Do at an ATA Academy. They're both black belts and they love it. It's a national curriculum that's used at every ATA school in the country, although each school has its own little variables on the "norm.":) When we stayed in Florida for a month, my kids had no problem going to an ATA school there for that time and then coming home again and blending right back in. They even had a testing while they were there and did fine. It's given them such confidence and has been great. The classes are all twice a week. They do forms, which are routines of specific moves in a certain order, and weapons, as well as sparring. They're very fit and are active outside of karate as well. It's been a great thing for us!

Beware the programs that offer a smorgasbord of martial arts styles. If a kid is learning karate, ju jitsu, tae kwon do, and weapons training, he's not learning any of them well.

Beware the programs that give black belts to kids who have been training less than four years. Just go to a karate store and buy the black belt instead, because that's what it will be worth.

Beware the programs that have classes taught by the owner's punk teenage son who is only there because his dad is paying him and seems to enjoy his authority status a little too much. I learned this lesson a little too late.

Beware the programs that only hold tournaments within their own organization, and give trophies to every participant. It's cute the first time, but then when you get a huge shelf full of big, worthless trophies, it will start to dawn on you. You shouldn't hear about huge regional karate tournaments from the newspaper. A sensei will want his students to grow by watching excellent karate as often as possible. The dojo bulletin board should have events coming up that involve students and teachers outside their own program/payroll.

Make sure the program you choose emphasizes both physical and mental strength, and not one or the other. Make sure the emphasis is on defense, and not offense.

Visit the dojos and systems in your area. Watch different classes at each place so you can see a variety of teachers. Ask parents what they like and what they don't like about the program. Don't just choose the cheapest outfit. Ask how long to be a blackbelt, ask who they compete against, ask what kind of martial arts styles they do. If they hedge around any of your questions, or don't let visitors or parents watch classes because it might be distracting, then beware.

Laura has given you good advice.

My sons have been taking tae kwon do for seven years (well, less for the 8 yr old). I love our school. The emphasis on not only doing well with the skills but on attitude, leadership and respect for everyone in the class is great. I also like that it's not a buy-a-belt mentality. Students have to work consistently hard for at least five years before they're even considered for a black belt test.

The head instructor is very "old-school." He doesn't do a lot of incentives or "feel-good" programs. But he is great with the kids. And, I think the fact that about 40% of my older sons' original classmates are still attending the school speaks volumes.

Ask if there is a free trial. Ask if: you are required to sign a contract; limited as to where you can buy uniforms; testing frequency and costs - I'd be leery of a school that promises you a black belt before they are 12; talk to parents in the waiting area to get a feel for the school.

For us, martial arts has been a wonderful thing. We found the right place and have made many good, good friends over the years. I hope you have a similar experience.

Beware the programs that offer a smorgasbord of martial arts styles. If a kid is learning karate, ju jitsu, tae kwon do, and weapons training, he's not learning any of them well.

Beware the programs that give black belts to kids who have been training less than four years. Just go to a karate store and buy the black belt instead, because that's what it will be worth.

Beware the programs that have classes taught by the owner's punk teenage son who is only there because his dad is paying him and seems to enjoy his authority status a little too much. I learned this lesson a little too late.

Beware the programs that only hold tournaments within their own organization, and give trophies to every participant. It's cute the first time, but then when you get a huge shelf full of big, worthless trophies, it will start to dawn on you. You shouldn't hear about huge regional karate tournaments from the newspaper. A sensei will want his students to grow by watching excellent karate as often as possible. The dojo bulletin board should have events coming up that involve students and teachers outside their own program/payroll.

Make sure the program you choose emphasizes both physical and mental strength, and not one or the other. Make sure the emphasis is on defense, and not offense.

Visit the dojos and systems in your area. Watch different classes at each place so you can see a variety of teachers. Ask parents what they like and what they don't like about the program. Don't just choose the cheapest outfit. Ask how long to be a blackbelt, ask who they compete against, ask what kind of martial arts styles they do. If they hedge around any of your questions, or don't let visitors or parents watch classes because it might be distracting, then beware.

:iagree: True, true---I would also add: try to find a program that teaches the history & language of the style (ie: Taekwon-Do is Korean- Korean history, counting, terms, formalities & customs, etc.) There is nothing worse than not knowing what it is you are doing.

One point I disagree with, tournaments sometimes have to be contained w/in the school due to scoring/rule differences- 'no contact' is one example, students trained in this have a hard time in partial or full as they are not used to wearing the protective gear(or getting hit) and their point system is different (points for head a-okay in no contact, unless you make contact:D). This is however rather rare. Look more for their willingness to compete w/other schools in the same discipline w/the same rules, indicating they are willing to actually compete.

We love are dojo and the instructors don't just give out belts or trophies. Requirements for each belt are posted and they are REQUIRED. They really encourage participating in outside tournaments and even hold extra class for tournament participants. They don't put up with any nonsense. Dropping a bo will get you 10 pushups. Don't even think about goofing off!! Parents of students who are disruptive are counseled and then if improvement isn't seen, they are shown the door. I really respect that the sensei's value the training/learning environment over their own pocketbook.

The fact that our two instructors (owners) are women just rocks!

K

DH and older two boys have been taking Jiu Jitsu and Shotokan for the past 4 years. DH will test for his black belt in August, my 13 yo will test for his black belt next year, and my 10 yo is not quite a brown belt yet. There are certain requirements for gaining a belt level, and a panel of judges for each test. They hold classes four times per week for mixed ages/abilities, with a couple of advanced level classes offered per week. They only test twice per year. My 5 yo ds started there this year, and he is just learning the basics along with a group of 5-7 yos that meet twice per week. Our dojo is non-contact, does not hold or compete in tournaments, and is based on doing your own personal best. There is a very good mix of mental/physical training, which is very important.

I'd watch out for dojos that test every month or two and expect you to pay a testing fee. My family only pays for the belt if they pass the test.

Not to disparage Tae Kwon Do, but I've never been able to wrap my brain around the benefit of breaking boards that are cut against the grain. It seems like presenting an optical illusion to me.

My daughter started Tae Kwon Do in January. She really loves it but I don't. My reasoning for letting her take it was that she'll learn some self defense. I really don't see that happening. She broke a board last friday and got her yellow belt but from my perspective, if The Bad Guy grabs her, her best defense is, "Excuse me, sir, will you please unhand me while I show you my form and break a board for you?"

In addition, I don't like the way the instructors treat the kids . . . some of the kids. My husband took the class with my daughter and I believe that that is why she wasn't spoken to in a sarcastic/ugly manner. Many children are ridiculed into line. I don't like it at all. At first my husband said that I didn't like it b/c I'm a "girl" and that it's typical guy/sports/coach thing. I kept complaining.

A few weeks ago there was some scary stuff in the news and the self defense issue really began bothering me. So, I sent my husband to find a different martial art. We went to visit/observe a Hap Ki Do class. We all like it and are now all doing Hap Ki Do. At our school, we do hapkido with a strong emphasis on self-defense. My daughter loves it b/c of the tumbling, rolling, throwing and weapons. I like it b/c of the self-defense. My husband likes the work-out and wants to spar soon. I also like the atmosphere.

As for TKD, after getting her yellow belt (she was supposed to quit after that and go to hapkido, only) she decided she just couldn't quit. So, for now she's doing both. I still VERY MUCH dislike the ridicule element and am torn b/t making her quit and letting her continue. The road I'm on now is that I think she'll wear out and decide to quit it on her own.

I strongly advise you to go to the school and watch at least a couple of weeks. You will want a feel for how the instructors interact with the children and what usefullness you see in their methods. I don't really think there is a problem with TKD, I think the problem is with the TKD that we went to.

Oh, I forgot to add that besides self-control, they really emphasize respect. At the beginning of class they have the children bow to their teacher, turn and bow to the parents and then do their warm ups. The teachers often ask us (the parents/guardians) are doing outside of karate. I really like that. They are concerned how it is going outside of the studio in addition to inside.

:iagree: with Laura K-she's given you some great advice.

We participate in Judo and love it. It's a defensive sport and is great for self-defense. There is no kicking or hitting--it is all throwing and grappling.

Definitely check around at different dojos and watch--see if your child can try a class or 2 for free (our Sensei allows kids to try for a month or so before signing up). There is such a difference between teachers and you want to find one that is a good fit (our dojo and Sensei fits our family perfectly, but another dojo in town would be miserable for all of us).

A good dojo is going to be honest and upfront and answer every question you have. I'd be wary of any that try to talk circles around you in regard to fees and any that tell you that your kid will be a certain level belt within a certain amount of time. The goal is mastery of the art, not simply buying belts.

My son started taekwondo last month and we couldn't be more pleased with the class. The teachers are amazing and I really feel we lucked out. The teachers really try to be strong role models for the kids and they take that very seriously. They are firm but patient and encouraging.

There is no board breaking in my sons class. I didn't know that was part of taekwondo.

My 6yo ds (yes, the challenging one) has been taking Karate since last September. I asked a lot of people about schools around here, and chose to check out the school we use because while I had many others recommended, I had eight recommendations for this same school.

I feel ds has been challenged to learn a lot of self control and discipline--class starts with a short meditation time. Classes can be large, but there are multiple instructors per class and it is a large studio with multiple classes (pre-school, kids, adults) happening simultaneously. There has been a good balance between communicating with us about our son and recognizing his challenges, and requiring him to have self control. He often has one-on-one instruction which is perfect for him!

One of the things I like is the mental memorization work and emphasis on good behavior, academic achievement and respect. At orange belt level (the second belt, where my ds is now) kids have to memorize "home rules for children" including keeping their room clean, speaking respectfully to their mother and father, etc. On tuesday thier instructor was telling the kids -- "Karate is important, but school always comes first!" (I translate that to mean "education", I don't think it's intended as a ps bias or anything). They have a quiet homework room in the back (as well as a toddler toy/play room), and lots of kids actually come after school and park themselves and use it. They are welcoming of homeschoolers--one homeschool mom I know started her kids there some years ago, and is now a black belt herself!

I also like how diverse the school is (I guess pretty normal for here in LA), but the owner is Persian and students come from all backgrounds, though there are many Farsi speaking parents around as well.

Anyhow, as a "newbie" karate parent, we're pretty happy... I'm going to link an article on thier site about how to choose a martial arts school:

http://www.teamkaratecenters.com/new/find_school_1.asp

started Kyuki-Do almost a year ago, we choose it based on the studio/instructor reputation and recommendation from neighbors who have taken many martial arts there and elsewhere for years, not because we had even heard of Kyuki-Do.

The emphasis is on defense and discipline, mental training and respect. I think you need to closely look at the area studios - find one that has been around for several years, and talk to people who go there if possible.

We're considering our son taking a martial arts program.

What types and programs have you had success with for your children?

Most of the studios are watered down. The only ones that might not be are Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes.

We have done Tae Kwo Do and are now doing MMA (UFC stuff). My boy (bless him) is not that good at TKD. He was better than most but most was mediocrity. The studio I took him to was one of the better ones IMO but I still found it lacking.

I am old school so I appreciate a studio that has a firm hand. Classes should be taught by black belts, not colored belts. The black belts must look and act the part. I've seen a lot of black belts that look terrible.

I don't believe in 7 yo black belts.

My son is actually ok in the grappling/wrestling combat sports. I was lucky enough to find a studio that offered kickboxing and jiu-jitsu as part of the kids program. I want him to learn how fight on his feet and on his back.

While it is important that kiddos in martial arts learn good manners and self control (it's not wise to teach kids how to fight without discipline), I wouldn't trust a school that had that in its brochure. Chances are they are giving you watered down stuff with feel good platitudes while charging you a fortune.

There are pricing levels and contracts to be aware of as well. Studios offer many prices. The first is the monthly fee without a contract. It is usually pretty high. Then there is the monthly fee with 1 year contract. Then another monthly fee with a 3 year contract. You might also incur sparring equipment expenses, registration fee, insurance fee, belt testing fee. Not all schools have this but it is out there.

Lastly, to do anything well, you must do it at least 3 times a week. I prefer schools that have classes all week long. When we did TKD, we went 6 days a week.

For what it is worth, don't shy away from sparring. Some people are really against it. I don't like sparring but like my son's former master said, " No sparring, no martial art!"

My husband and daughter (7) take aikido and are enjoying it quite a lot. They go to a family-run dojo that offers a kids' class on the weekend and then extra opportunities for adult (13+) classes during the week. The dojo is part of USAF http://www.usaikifed.com/ and the International Aikido Federation http://www.aikido-international.org/

They've been going since last May. My husband has just gotten his first ranking (5th kyu, the base ranking for adults) in December and my daughter got her first ranking (10th kyu, basically this dojo has a series of ranks designed to reinforce the children learning the basics, as there are not official rankings for children).

Aikido is a defensive rather than offensive, grappling rather than punching and kicking, basically finding a way to use the attacker's energy against him without harming him if possible. They do a lot of rolling and throwing practice, some weapons work.

I'm not sure about the against the grain thing- the boards I've seen & used were cut w/the grain. Just regular clear pine 10" planks cut into 11" lengths. The balsa wood I've seen used elsewhere is another story.:D

Not to disparage Tae Kwon Do, but I've never been able to wrap my brain around the benefit of breaking boards that are cut against the grain. It seems like presenting an optical illusion to me.

Good point and I've heard/had the same sentiment.

I'd like to explain the "board breaking" thing, this was an area of TKD I was skeptical of myself, it struck me as being rather "showy" and gimicky. Well --much of it is, however I learned that my dojang includes this for very good reasons and it is indeed a useful measure for the student if done right.

The boards are 1" clear pine 10X11" for adults (no knots and no cracks). To break a board w/o hurting yourself you need to do at least three things--aim well, have perfect technique and be fast. Single board breaking w/basic technique is beginner level stuff. When you start adding boards (no spacers) you need a certain level of concentration to achieve the accuracy and speed in order for them to break. In Taekwon-Do they add jump spinning, flying jumps and flying jump spinning. Hand breaks are also required. It really did improve my skill and gave me goals, as well as toughened up my "weapons". It also indicated to the instructor where a student needed to improve. While I enjoyed it, many dreaded it, it may be pine, but it still hurts if you hit it wrong.

I was *told* the board breaking came about as a measure of skill and in the ole' days, armor was carved wood so it was useful to practice for combat.

Thank you for letting me add my 2 cents :)