Menu

Mom wants to send me to private Christian school???

So my mom wants to send me to a private christian school now, and I don't have to much of a problem with it, it's just that I like being homeschooled! She complains that she can't teach me the following subjects: math, science, and english. What I told her is that I could take part of those classes at our local CC, or the private christian school. Now she doesn't know what to say!?

I am so confused right now, she wanted to take me out of school in the first place, and now she wants to put me back in? It doesn't make sense to me, and I have tried to talk to her about it, but she doesn't want to hear it. My mom is very hard to talk to and my dad just goes along with my mom.

She said either continue with SOS (torture!!) or go to school... What should I do?????:banghead::crying:

Two options:

If you are serious about homeschooling, you might try specifically researching classes you can take and then show your mother those options. Make sure you are respectful, and make sure you are prepared to live with her final decision as homeschooling is a lot of work for BOTH of you.

On the other hand, I can tell you I had a really, really positive experience with a private Christian high school. My classes were very small, the teachers were wonderfully kind, and I made a lot of friends. It was a warm, loving, academically challenging place for me, and I treasure my memories of my time there. You might find yourself lucky enough to have a good experience there.

First, coming from a mom's point-of-view...remember that she just wants what is best for you. I'm sure this is a tough decision for her as I am going thru a similar situation. We live in a small town where there is not much as far as resources for homeschoolers to use so my husband and I are considering a small private Christian high school. My kids do not want to go and I don't really want them to go either BUT because of our circumstances, I feel like we should consider it. I only want what will make them happy and because they have always homeschooled and it has worked really well for us...they want it to stay that way.

I hope for the best for you and your mom on this decision. Just know that we moms only want for our kids to be happy and we try to make the best decisions. Good luck to both of you.

I'm with Strider that the cs might not be so bad as you think. Alternately, she might be open to using the same curriculum the cs would have used (say Abeka or BJU) but doing their video/online options. BJU for instance has hard drive, dvd, and online options now. Both BJU and Abeka have transcript keeping options as well. Christian Liberty Academy also has complete curriculum packages that will make the transcript for her.

There are a lot of things moms worry about with their kids going into high school, and you might not be aware of all of them. Just talk through it and see where you get.

She complains that she can't teach me the following subjects: math, science, and english.

Those subjects can also be done online. There are many options for online classes. Mom doesn't have to teach everything. Online classes will cost money. Ask her politely if she has a budget you could 'play with'. You could possibly consider a part time job (your parents may not agree with this, it's a possibility in some families, not in others) so you can pay for your own online classes. If your parents see how serious you are about homeschooling, they may rethink. If you want to be homeschooled because it's less work than going to private school, then you're stuck. :)

Thanks everybody, my mom and I are going to keep talking on the subject right now but I really hope I can be homeschooled still. We are going to start checking out classes that are offered at the local CC and Christian school, and I have a neighbor that tutors in math for free! :001_smile:

:iagree: with what you all are saying and the reason why my mom wants to put me back in school is because I am "college bound". I can see her point on this, but I know we can do it together, especially because all of my little siblings are going back to school for one year to learn how to read and write then will continue to homeschool the following year.

The christian school is good, but I never really did good in a school setting, I was always nervous and shy (had lots of friends though) and I got good grades. But I really like the flexibility of homeschooling and not having to rush. I told my mom that I could take the classes that she doesn't get at the local CC or CS and she is considering it....:glare:

Please help!:tongue_smilie:

:) You sound like an intelligent, self-motivated student. Are you willing to take the responsibility to learn the subjects yourself? I believe most students with initiative can tackle those subjects on their own with minimal guidance and accountability checks from a tutor.

Maybe if you can convince your mom you are serious about learning at home and promise to apply yourself...

Best wishes!

:) You sound like an intelligent, self-motivated student. Are you willing to take the responsibility to learn the subjects yourself? I believe most students with initiative can tackle those subjects on their own with minimal guidance and accountability checks from a tutor.

Maybe if you can convince your mom you are serious about learning at home and promise to apply yourself...

Best wishes!

I am very committed to my work and thank you for the complements. I want to stay home really bad, and I have lots of friends, play violin, and am going to join soccer/volleyball soon! I really like homeschooling, and we are going to be moving soon so I really don't see the point in sending me to school! I am so confused.:confused1: :crying::(

Why do YOU want to continue homeschooling....seriously!? What reservations do you have about going to the CS? Have you been really specific about your reasons with your mom (and yourself)?

Well, I talked to my mom about it today and she is considering the following:

Stay homeschooled and go to the local CC or CS for the classes that she can't teach me (3 classes)

Go to CS

Continue using SOS

She said she will let me know her decision soon. I have been very specific and told her I will work hard to get all my schoolwork done!! I like the freedom of homeschooling, it's fun and I enjoy it, I didn't in the beginning but I do now. I have always been a hardworker and my mom wants to keep me homeschooled, but she's afraid.

Now I am waiting... And still trying to convince her!:bigear:

the reason why my mom wants to put me back in school is because I am "college bound".

LuvingLife,

You haven't specified what "grade" you are in; IOW, how soon will you be "college bound." I understand your mom's concern because thinking about/learning how to get a student into college, particularly if a parent has not gone to college themselves or doesn't have other people to mentor them in the process, can be daunting.

Let me tell you, that journey can look overwhelming! It's one thing to homeschool, but quite another to suddenly find that--as a mom--I'm now needing to put on the guidance counselor hat, and I don't have a clue. It really isn't that "awful", when you take it one baby step at a time, but it can *look* impossible.

You might start another thread asking for book recommendations that cover high school planning, college entrance basics, etc. Or if you know that you want to go locally, or to a specific state univ., you could ask those particular schools for a "roadmap" to their requirements. If you call schools, I'd also check to see if there are specifics for the department you are considering; engineering, for example, generally has additional entrance requirements.

Here are a couple of threads from the WTM College Board that she might find very encouraging:

WTM Class of 2010 acceptances and merit financial aid offers:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138236

WTM Class of 2010 final college decisions:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166905

Finally, for you LuvingLife, you sound like a phenomenal teen! I would love to meet you IRL. It will be up to you to take hold of this and make it happen for yourself. It takes a tremendous amount of work, and you will have to supply the day in and day out motivation yourself. There is no "herd" to help you stay motivated if you are at home. That is one of the things that wore on my own dd over time--it would have been easier for her if she had had some company, some companionship, someone to commiserate with, then sigh together and do it together. I could cheerlead for her, but ultimately, she alone had to do the work. I know *she* would have found it easier if there had been companionship along the way. Depending on your personality, that might be a real benefit of being in a classroom setting. Or maybe not so much...

Very best wishes!

Edited by Valerie(TX)
finish the post

I so wish that my children would be as vocal and academic as you.

Thank you!!:001_smile:

LuvingLife,

You haven't specified what "grade" you are in; IOW, how soon will you be "college bound." I understand your mom's concern because thinking about/learning how to get a student into college, particularly if a parent has not gone to college themselves or doesn't have other people to mentor them in the process, can be daunting.

Let me tell you, that journey can look overwhelming! It's one thing to homeschool, but quite another to suddenly find that--as a mom--I'm now needing to put on the guidance counselor hat, and I don't have a clue. It really isn't that "awful", when you take it one baby step at a time, but it can *look* impossible.

You might start another thread asking for book recommendations that cover high school planning, college entrance basics, etc. Or if you know that you want to go locally, or to a specific state univ., you could ask those particular schools for a "roadmap" to their requirements. If you call schools, I'd also check to see if there are specifics for the department you are considering; engineering, for example, generally has additional entrance requirements.

Here are a couple of threads from the WTM College Board that she might find very encouraging:

WTM Class of 2010 acceptances and merit financial aid offers:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138236

WTM Class of 2010 final college decisions:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166905

Finally, for you LuvingLife, you sound like a phenomenal teen! I would love to meet you IRL. It will be up to you to take hold of this and make it happen for yourself. It takes a tremendous amount of work, and you will have to supply the day in and day out motivation yourself. There is no "herd" to help you stay motivated if you are at home. That is one of the things that wore on my own dd over time--it would have been easier for her if she had had some company, some companionship, someone to commiserate with, then sigh together and do it together. I could cheerlead for her, but ultimately, she alone had to do the work. I know *she* would have found it easier if there had been companionship along the way. Depending on your personality, that might be a real benefit of being in a classroom setting. Or maybe not so much...

Very best wishes!

Valerie,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, I will show these to my mom and see what she says. Hopefully she will agree on allowing me to stay homeschooled and take the classes that she can't teach me somewhere else. I am going into the tenth grade/eleventh grade this coming school year and I love being homeschooled. I am considering majoring in music, photography, or nursing and I like how I can spend more time on the subjects I love!!

Math and science are scary subjects to teach at time, and I have told my mom many times to send me to CCRI, or to the CS for those classes.

Still waiting for her answer... Really getting nervous now!!:lurk5:

• 3 weeks later...

Luvinlife, does your mom have any homeschooling support? Would she visit these boards? It seems like she would really benefit from having her questions and concerns answered by moms who have been there, done that or who are in the trenches right along with her but have the hope and vision that she may need to be reminded of. Does she just not feel like homeschooling anymore?

Luvinlife, does your mom have any homeschooling support? Would she visit these boards? It seems like she would really benefit from having her questions and concerns answered by moms who have been there, done that or who are in the trenches right along with her but have the hope and vision that she may need to be reminded of. Does she just not feel like homeschooling anymore?

That's exactly it. She doesn't have any support, (there's nothing good where I live) and everyone she meets is always like why would you homeschool them, that's a bad idea, what about high school, you're gonna mess up her (me) education!? I think all of this finally got to her and now she wants to send me to a public school full time for this year, instead of a cs or ps for two days.:glare: