Menu

Murdering kittens ...

Yeah I thought that title would get your attention! :lol:

Okay, so we've learned that we can't use apostrophes to pluralize, but what exactly are we supposed to do? As examples:

1920 to make it plural, as in the nineteen twenties, what do you do?

1920's is what I've always done in the past (but my fingers are crossed to prevent the unintentional slaughter of an innocent kitten) or is it supposed to be 1920s?

Abbreviations - how do you pluralize those?

Of course, now that I'm writing the thread I can't think of many examples, but when I'm posting I sure do. :tongue_smilie:

...or is it supposed to be 1920s?

Yes.

It can be tricky. If you're a real stickler, your best bet is to get yourself a good style guide, like the Chicago Manual. Or, when in doubt, recast your sentence to avoid the sticky situation! :D

Thank you for setting me straight on the dates. I don't know where I picked up the bad habit of using apostrophes. I wish I could think of examples of initials that I needed to make plural, but I can't right now. I guess if it's plural, and I don't use an apostrophe, I'll be okay. I like the suggestion of changing the sentence to avoid the problem entirely. :D

I wish I could think of examples of initials that I needed to make plural' date=' but I can't right now. [/quote']

We talk about PCs (police constables) and MPs (members of parliament). In the US there are MPs (military police officers) and I would write them the same way. I suppose it should really be MsP for members of parliament, but that's not the way it's written.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Yeah I thought that title would get your attention! :lol:

Okay' date=' so we've learned that we can't use apostrophes to pluralize, but what exactly are we supposed to do? As examples:

1920 to make it plural, as in the nineteen twenties, what do you do?

1920's is what I've always done in the past (but my fingers are crossed to prevent the unintentional slaughter of an innocent kitten) or is it supposed to be 1920s?[/quote']

This is honestly a style-guide issue. At one time it was common to use an apostrophe with dates, but that use has fallen out of favor. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/writing-dates.aspx

Abbreviations - how do you pluralize those?
Again, it depends upon the style guide. Some style guides still tell you to use apostrophes, some do not. Using an apostrophe when pluralizing an abbreviation or acronym is also falling out of favor. Currently? Both are correct. I just say CDs or DVDs. The *exception* to this is when you are writing a single letter. You *would* say "Jill received all A's and B's on her report card."

Confused now? :D

Edited by Mrs Mungo

:lol: Yes - thoroughly!!!!! :D

Okay, so I didn't pick up any bad habits, well not that one anyway. It was how I was taught many moons ago. So neither way will put any kittens in grave danger - what a relief!!! :) Thank you!!!

I guess it's similar to my having learned that you always use two spaces at the end of a sentence. I tried to teach my daughter the same, but she says that they're taught to only use one. Wouldn't it be great if these were our worst problems? :lol:

I'm transcribing a university-level class this summer called Teaching the Language Arts. It's a class for future teachers. I'm not a student in this class; I transcribe for a hard of hearing student who's going to be a teacher. This issue was addressed last week, from the perspective of our state's standards for public schools. The official stand here in Washington's public education system, from what I learned, is that years and acronyms (or other capitalize letter combinations that look like acronyms) DO get the apostrophe to pluralize them.

1920's

1700's

GLE's

EALR's

ABC's

I can't stand it! In fact as I was transcribing the professor talking about this rule, I still was typing without the apostrophes! (GLEs, EALRs, 1990s, etc.) I had all these words in my abbreviation dictionary without the apostrophes. I'm sure it might have been a little confusing for the student I was typing for (she reads what I type as I type, and I type in real time with the professor speaking).

Professor: So, there should be an apostrophe when you pluralize GLEs.

:lol:

Like Mrs. Mungo said, it's a style issue that will vary. The official stand in Washington state public schools is to use the apostrophe.

I tried to teach my daughter the same' date=' but she says that they're taught to only use one. Wouldn't it be great if these were our worst problems? [/quote']

If you look, you'll notice that in my messages there are two spaces after my periods. It should be one, and I prefer one (that's been the standard since the computer/printer age dawned). But because of the transcription program I use (that I have on my computer and that I use for all my typing, not just my work-typing), there are two spaces after my periods. The first time I press the space bar, the program expands the abbreviation I typed, so to make a period I have to hit the space bar two times. It bugs me! But I love my transcription software enough to overlook it. :)

ETA: Well, look at that! WTM must it set up for the extra spaces to come out. When I type there are two, but when I hit Save/Submit, there is only one.

Edited by milovaný

The professional editors I love use the Blue Book. It's online. Here is the Blue Book's page on apostrophes.

My understanding is that it is okay to use an apostrophe to show possessive when the meaning would otherwise be unclear. For example, multiples of the letter K would be K's.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed
Leave it to me to write a perfect run-on sentence about grammar.

Officially, you''re supposed to use apostrophes for 1920's, ABC's, etc. HOWEVER, on another thread, there was a discussion about being part of a movement refusing to do that on principle. I've decided to so that so if *I* were going to write 1920s, ABCs, etc, I would NOT use an apostrophe :) Well, if it comes down to a grade on a paper, a job, etc, I guess I'd sacrifice the kittens.

ETA: I do and always will put two spaces after a period, except on the rare occasion I accidentally put three :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

I still prefer the two spaces after a period. I need that visual white space. I find one space too cluttered. To me, it's like a page with no paragraphs.

So funny! When I read work with two spaces after the periods, I feel like the page doesn't flow at all--like there's a long pause between every sentence. Drives me nuts! The first thing I was taught to do as an editor was a search-and-replace for all double spaces :lol:

Edited by melissel