Menu

Apologia Instructional DVD's???

Has anyone here used the Apologia Instructional DVD's that sell for $150? The description says there are 2 lectures for each module, handouts and tests included. They feature the guy from Red Wagon Tutorials. I have watched the sample (well half of it as it is 85 minutes long) and it looks wonderful. Previously I was considering the Landry Science class which is $400, but these are considerably more affordable. I realize there wouldn't be live participation or an instructor doing the grading, but I am really looking for the benefit of a lecuturer that will be tougher on my student than I am! If you are familiar with these what is your opinion of them?

I have the one for General Science for this coming year. I haven't used it yet, but it looks good (obviously, or I wouldn't have bought it, right?). Anyway, ChristianBooks.com has it for $105 and the man who creates them (from RWT) is selling older versions of the same thing on ebay for $50. As far as I know, they are from earlier classes, and as most teachers do, he changed somethings from one year to another. It does still use the same book, though.

My son has started Apologia Biology this summer with the DVDs. They add so much to the course. The lectures are quite substantial, and there are lecture notes with fill in the blank questions for the student to fill in while they watch the lecture. There are also examles of formal lab write ups for every lab (Steve Rosenoff requires four formal labs in his course). The best part to me are the tests. I think they are better than the tests that come with Apologia as there are usually at least 3 essay questions (the answer requires more than one or two sentences!!) My ds is 1/2 wat through chapter four and doing great :D

I am kicking myself. I signed up for a Catie Frates class, but am responsible for grading tests, etc. We have access to a lecture for the module, but I'm not sure what else. I'm thinking that if I pay $300 for the class, the tests should be graded and maybe, just maybe, not be the same tests that are in the book. Sometimes I wonder if I am too demanding.

I've also learned to stop listening to suggestions from certain travelers on this journey. But that's another matter altogether. :)

Thank you for starting this thread.

I had a question regarding RWT. Dd will be doing Biology w/Apologia in the fall. Do you have your dc read the text AND watch the DVD lecture?? That seems like a great amount of time (reading & watching). How do you all do it??

Thanks so much!

I had a question regarding RWT. Dd will be doing Biology w/Apologia in the fall. Do you have your dc read the text AND watch the DVD lecture?? That seems like a great amount of time (reading & watching). How do you all do it??

Thanks so much!

Alright, well I just got ours in the mail two days ago. You don't watch the DVD all the time, just twice per module. There are files on the DVD/CD that have the schedule he used for his students. I am just using that schedule as a guide. I started writing out the lesson plans and our goal is to get each module done over a two week period. My son has 2 or 3 days of reading and question answering on his own before watching the first lecture for Module 1. There are also files for notes from each lecture that is like a fill in the blank format - the student fills in the blanks while watching the lecture. After watching portions of the first couple modules I can really see how the added information/explanation is going to be helpful.

I too have been writing up my own lesson plans for using these DVD's with apologia biology this fall. My ds is going to really benefit from the lectures and fill-in notes. I scheduled it just as the poster above suggests, but also filled in expermiment days and dissections in the spring.

My question is....did you all buy the slide set that apologia suggets at $80?? i was hoping to be done purchasing for this fall, and don't really want to spend the $$$. I wonder if my ds will get out of the program what he needs, if we don't do the slide experiments??? i feel like he will have a less than average year if we skip it.....just frustrated about the price. I have the microscope, so I may just go ahead and buy them. Anyway, it does look like it is going to be a lot of work to keep up with the reading, lectures, and experiments. I made the schedule and it covers up to 35 weeks of school. It is a lofty goal. But, I feel like if we shoot for a big goal and only reach 2/3 of it, we'll still have done enough for a full credit course.

How are you all handling experiments...are you planning on doing most?

We do at least 3/4 of the experiments. I buy the kits from from www.homesciencetools.com When my oldest ds did biology we didn't do slides, only dissections. He used Abeka biology though so maybe that is why we didn't do slides.

I am scheduling out the reading and experiments so they are on all the days ds doesn't watch the DVD. Basically on DVD day he will just watch, take his notes and file them. I am going to require him to do all the lab reports including the formal ones that will be taught on the DVD.

I just wanted to add that when ds watches a lecture, he usually does not do any reading that day because each lecture is about 1 1/2 hours (3 hours of lecture per chapter). When you are planning out your schedule, look on the syllabus that is provided to see how far your child should read before watching the lecture each week. Also, before your child takes the test, have him watch the first part of the lecture for the next chapter as there will be a review before the test. I also schedule labs throughout the week, and again I try to schedule no reading or very light reading that day. We will be doing all of the labs, as well as four formal lab reports. I am having ds only do informal lab reports for all other labs as we have done every lab for General and Physical Science and he knows how to write a lab report now (the informal report does not include the list of materials or step by step procedure, but does include a hypothesis, data collection or drawings, and a conclusion).

I just wanted to add that when ds watches a lecture, he usually does not do any reading that day because each lecture is about 1 1/2 hours (3 hours of lecture per chapter). When you are planning out your schedule, look on the syllabus that is provided to see how far your child should read before watching the lecture each week. Also, before your child takes the test, have him watch the first part of the lecture for the next chapter as there will be a review before the test. I also schedule labs throughout the week, and again I try to schedule no reading or very light reading that day. We will be doing all of the labs, as well as four formal lab reports. I am having ds only do informal lab reports for all other labs as we have done every lab for General and Physical Science and he knows how to write a lab report now (the informal report does not include the list of materials or step by step procedure, but does include a hypothesis, data collection or drawings, and a conclusion).

Do you know if the Chemistry lectures are also an hour and a half each?

Thanks.

well, I just purchased the 1.0 physical science dvd from ebay....

I will try and post a review after viewing. I hope I don't have "remorse" for not buying 2.0, but the $50 price difference was too much not to pass up.

Thanks for the poster who mentioned the ebay deal!

well, I just purchased the 1.0 physical science dvd from ebay....

I will try and post a review after viewing. I hope I don't have "remorse" for not buying 2.0, but the $50 price difference was too much not to pass up.

Thanks for the poster who mentioned the ebay deal!

If it makes you feel better I think the only difference is the 2.0 will have more current dates - which aren't part of what DVD buyers will be following anyway. Don't quote me though!