Menu

Science......interest led, unit studies????

TracyP

I am in the midst of planning for next year and basically I don't know what to do about science. I am so excited about our TOG year: I am excited about the hands on activities, the books look fun (I could start another I love TOG thread - but I'll restrain myself) :D I just can't wait to get started!

Then comes science. I love science but I haven't seen a curricula that I "click" with. I have BFSU and it looks like too much work for me,overkill for the kids and I just don't think it is for me right now. We did unit studies this year and had a blast. But I am afraid that we might not get to it if I have to plan it.We have a lot going on in our family right now (moving, new baby coming, sick grandmother). Is there anything out there that lays out a unit study for you? Any other ideas for me?

Check out http://www.elementalscience.com I bought the biology curriculum. You can supplement to your heart's content or use as is. I think it would make a great foundation to making your own unit study on animals, plants, and the human body. Check out guesthollow.com for some supplement ideas for the human body. Scroll down until you see the word "Science" and have fun looking.

I am in the midst of planning for next year and basically I don't know what to do about science. I am so excited about our TOG year: I am excited about the hands on activities, the books look fun (I could start another I love TOG thread - but I'll restrain myself) :D I just can't wait to get started!

Then comes science. I love science but I haven't seen a curricula that I "click" with. I have BFSU and it looks like too much work for me,overkill for the kids and I just don't think it is for me right now. We did unit studies this year and had a blast. But I am afraid that we might not get to it if I have to plan it.We have a lot going on in our family right now (moving, new baby coming, sick grandmother). Is there anything out there that lays out a unit study for you? Any other ideas for me?

They have some science unit studies that are short and sweet--4-6 weeks on a topic. If you try one, you can see how you like that approach.

I really like the Magic School Bus books for that age. I would recommend reading them over and over, and perhaps trying some of the experiments that they describe, or incorporating good field trips. For instance, after reading about the water works, go visit your local one!

Also, my view is that children's science museums, or any natural history museums, teach science more effectively than anything else at this age. Summer camps at zoos are also great. Join one or more of those local organizations so you can get in free, and go often. Make extended visits a high priority. Your goal is to get the kids to know the place so well that they study in depth out of either intense interest or utter boredom. You can look for library books to extend learning in a specific area.

I don't care for any early elementary science textbooks that I have ever seen. They all seem to be way too simple and jump around a lot.

Then comes science. I love science but I haven't seen a curricula that I "click" with. I have BFSU and it looks like too much work for me,overkill for the kids and I just don't think it is for me right now. We did unit studies this year and had a blast. But I am afraid that we might not get to it if I have to plan it...

This sounds a lot like me. I did find a science program that clicks for me but it will be better for us next year so I am waiting. We'll do more unit studies again this year. I purchased Best Buy Bargain Books Science Grades 2-3 to use as a guideline. I think there is a good amount of information provided. (Here it is a christianbook.com where you can see some sample pages.) I also have Evan Moor's Giant Science Resource Book to use as a resource for information and activities and I'll add lots of library books.

I no longer use a science curriculum in the lower grades because I couldn't find anything that clicked either. Instead we go to the library and the kids pick out science books that interest them. We read, they narrate back, draw a picture or diagram and label it. We also keep a list of vocab and definitions.

Science this way is easy, fun, and thorough. If we miss a day here and there I don't feel behind.

I no longer use a science curriculum in the lower grades because I couldn't find anything that clicked either. Instead we go to the library and the kids pick out science books that interest them. We read, they narrate back, draw a picture or diagram and label it. We also keep a list of vocab and definitions.

Science this way is easy, fun, and thorough. If we miss a day here and there I don't feel behind.

Oh, Quiver. I have been struggling with doing this for science too. I'm so glad you mentioned it. I have some great hands on physics already planned (and still planning) and after that I want to do the Apologia Anatomy. Beyond that though? Although there's some descent topic areas available (we enjoyed Apologia, Noeo, RS4K), none of them gave us that just so fit, ifkwim. They were good, fine, clear, worked, we learned, but something is still missing....it may be raw enthusiasm with a combo of amazing teacher resource not quite found. Good teacher resource, yes...amazing, not yet.

Anyways :) I like how you and I are coming to the same conclusions :D It comforts me that another long time home schooler with a quiver full is on the same trail :grouphug:

I have really been leaning this way lately but I am a little scared. Do you direct them to a topic or do they just choose? Does each of your kids pick their own topic or do you keep all the youngers together? Do you choose new books weekly/monthly? I really believe that they will learn the most if they have an interest in something. For example, I cannot believe what they picked up and retained just from planting a garden in the spring.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Please keep them coming, this is helping me think this through.

I like Kathryn Stout's Science scope, we did dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for one year (my ds' pick) and we did biology this year. For each topic (insects/fish) my ds chose what animal to concentrate on. We still have the human body to finish. For the summer he chose oceans, so I'll put together something for that. I like enchanted learning for diagrams and we also do lapbooks. For next year I'll be using elemental science so I can work off someone elses schedule and tweak to my hearts content. We grab new books biweekly. I like to have input from my ds to ensure that he is interested in the topic.

Edited by Moniksca

I have really been leaning this way lately but I am a little scared. Do you direct them to a topic or do they just choose? Does each of your kids pick their own topic or do you keep all the youngers together? Do you choose new books weekly/monthly? I really believe that they will learn the most if they have an interest in something. For example, I cannot believe what they picked up and retained just from planting a garden in the spring.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Please keep them coming, this is helping me think this through.

I was thinking about opening up a couple experiment books I have and letting them read the Table of Contents (or read it to them) then allow them to pick a couple of topics. I'd be doing this for several dc, so they'd get 2 choice and then we'll go get books on those subjects and do 1 or 2 experiments each week, read and notebook. Throw in an occasional lap or mini-book and be done with it. Not too intensive, just needs a little project coordination, really...and my reading ahead so I can answer the questions they come up with! I want thorough and fun, with ease.

I am doing this with a upcoming ker, 2nd and 4th grader. They each get to pick a few books of their own choice and we go to the library every 2-3 weeks. I don't direct topics and one might pick fish while another picks electricity and so on. I do read each book aloud to all 3 at the same time. It's just easier for me. I only do one topic per day though and we only do science twice a week. They all ( not Ker yet) do a narration page/picture/diagram for each book.

I admit it took me a while to get over not sticking to one topic but it really is OK. They are learning and having fun.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Thank you Tina and Jean, I think I will try this. I have seen others promote this idea too but haven't been able to get over the idea of "missing something". Next year seems like a good time to be brave. I don't think I can mess up a 7 and 5 yo too bad if it doesn't work.:D

I too have had a lot of trouble picking a science curriculum for the year (see my blog post here). I also have BFSU, but it is a lot of work - figuring out lesson order, finding the right supplements for an older (4th grade) child, etc. I love RS4K, but the price is outrageous if I were to get all three subjects with 2 levels...

I'm thinking we'll end up just following the kids' nature-related interests. Both have said they'd love to start with insects in the fall, so I'm looking at using Enchanted Learning, this book, various other library books, and Make it Work: Insects. Then we'll just go from there. For other fun experiments, I'm leading a co-op project (once a month for seven months) based on this book.

Science Smart looks like a good book for ideas. Also, I bought some of the Inquisikids Discover and Do dvds. I think my older ds will be able to do some of these experiments with little help from me. In addition, I think I will add in Elemental Science, but using it lightly.

What I did in science:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87351&highlight=childcraft

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1502349#poststop

Can someone please link me to Childcraft as referenced in the above posts? Thank you.

I have 2 sets. Although the 1962 version has wonderful stories and poetry, the science books are lacking. I like my 1982 set--I would think any of the newer sets would be fine for the science portion. If you go to your library, you should be able to find them there--I've not found a library yet who has not had them.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...
They have some science unit studies that are short and sweet--4-6 weeks on a topic. If you try one, you can see how you like that approach.

Can you link to Steward Ship? I can't find anything when I search.

Never mind, found it...... http://www.unitstudies.com/HistericalSisters.aspx

Edited by Country Girl