Menu

Tutoring and Using ETC

My just turned 8 year old, public schooled nephew is having trouble with reading. I offered to tutor him over the summer. Do you all think using the Explode the Code books would help.

I want him to learn the 70 phonograms as well. I'll only have him for a few months and someone on my blog suggested the ETC books. I was going to use Saxon Phonics but now am considering ETC.

Appreciate any help.

I haven't used Saxon, but loved ETC. You can really see the progress as children move through the books. You would have to do the phonograms as a separate supplement if trying to get them done in a short period of time as they are spread out through a number of the ETC books.

Definitely anything you do with explicit phonics is going to be going in the right direction. Given his age, have they considered having his eyes tested? Not just by a regular eye doc, but by a developmental optometrist that looks for issues with how they function (focusing, tracking, convergence, etc.). They can find a doc like this through http://www.covd.com You'd definitely hate to work on phonics all summer and realize he had an underlying issue that needed to be worked on.

So, should I chuck the Saxon Phonics? I love all the coding and it's scripted for my SIL so she can continue with it when they get back home (we live states away).

Then again, using only ETC wouldn't be so overwhelming since he will be going to school for 7hrs. a day.

As long as ETC will work I guess I can use it as a stand alone. I'll also have him practice reading in a primer I have.

Off to Sonlight to order the books.

Once again, thank you ladies!

You may also need to do some nonsense words if he got a lot of sight words, most schools use a lot of sight words.

My how to tutor page shows what I do with my remedial students, they also watch my phonics lessons and work through Webster's Speller when they finish my lessons and Blend Phonics.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

You may also need to do some nonsense words if he got a lot of sight words, most schools use a lot of sight words.

My how to tutor page shows what I do with my remedial students, they also watch my phonics lessons and work through Webster's Speller when they finish my lessons and Blend Phonics.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Thank you Elizabeth, good idea ;) From here on out I hope to have him learn to sound or decode sight words. Hopefully his mama will agree.

I downloaded Blend Phonics and the reader. Hopefully I can get them printed out before he gets here (in a few days).

So, with the Blend Phonics I write each word on the board first ( I watched the U Tube of Don Potter but am still a bit confused).

I know my nephew knows all the sounds, what I'm not sure is how he reads cvc words or cvcc, cvcv words. How to I find out where he is at?

Thank you Elizabeth, good idea ;) From here on out I hope to have him learn to sound or decode sight words. Hopefully his mama will agree.

I downloaded Blend Phonics and the reader. Hopefully I can get them printed out before he gets here (in a few days).

So, with the Blend Phonics I write each word on the board first ( I watched the U Tube of Don Potter but am still a bit confused).

I know my nephew knows all the sounds, what I'm not sure is how he reads cvc words or cvcc, cvcv words. How to I find out where he is at?

You write them out on the board for a younger child and a first for a remedial student to emphasize the L to R direction and decrease the amount of guessing. Once they stop guessing a bit, you can work from the book with an older child if the print is not too small for them, 8 is old enough to ask for an opinion. Also, you don't need to do every word, just do a few from each section if it is going well, do the whole unit if it is not.

The first part of the NRRF test can be used for diagnostic purposes. Also, the New Elizabethian test, both linked from my test page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Am I to use your Language Lessons along side Blend Phonics or only Blend Phonics alone?

With your Language Lessons I have the child first read the words, then have them listed to them on quick time (they are only watching?)

Thank you,

You could save this as a diagnostic test or use it as he progresses, either way you want the child reading the words first, not just watching. The online phonics lessons, they can just watch but they should also be a bit active and do the spelling and reading when they are prompted.

If there is a lot of guessing from sight words, you will need to play my game a lot and write in all uppercase for a while--uppercase hides word shape and helps prevent guessing. Spelling is also helpful, you want to ensure that he can spell a few words from each sound/spelling combination you cover.

I don't know what your budget is like, but you might also look at Funnix 1. It is meant for children who are struggling and the entire program can be completed over the summer to remediate a child who is behind. www.funnix.com

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, this looked really neat and fun but I don't have anymore funds :(

Just as an FYI...ETC is cheapest on Amazon...

Thanks for the info. Amazon didn't have book three. Sonlight wasn't too bad priced. I get 10% off and free shipping for life:D

You write them out on the board for a younger child and a first for a remedial student to emphasize the L to R direction and decrease the amount of guessing. Once they stop guessing a bit, you can work from the book with an older child if the print is not too small for them, 8 is old enough to ask for an opinion. Also, you don't need to do every word, just do a few from each section if it is going well, do the whole unit if it is not.

The first part of the NRRF test can be used for diagnostic purposes. Also, the New Elizabethian test, both linked from my test page:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

You could save this as a diagnostic test or use it as he progresses, either way you want the child reading the words first, not just watching. The online phonics lessons, they can just watch but they should also be a bit active and do the spelling and reading when they are prompted.

If there is a lot of guessing from sight words, you will need to play my game a lot and write in all uppercase for a while--uppercase hides word shape and helps prevent guessing. Spelling is also helpful, you want to ensure that he can spell a few words from each sound/spelling combination you cover.

Can a lesson be completed in a day or should I take a few days to complete?

I printed off the Blend Phonics Syllables from your site (very helpful:001_smile:)

I write the word {AB} on the board, then have the child sound out "A-B", then say it "AB". When spelling a word {NAP} have them write it then we say the letter names out loud together, "N A P Nap"correct?

I'm going to take a good look at everything I printed out Blend Phonics Syllables,Reading Made Easy With Blend Phonics, Blend Phonics Reader Lite and Blend Phonics Decodable Stories and hopefully will be ready to start with my nephew in a week.

After he has done a few Units then start him with the Online Phonics lessons?

I'm reading through Blend Phonics Syllables and it sometimes refers to an exercise sheet to work on. I have looked on your site and can't find it *(found it).

Also, would you recommend that the child copy the stories in Blend Phonics Decodable Stories?

Edited by Homeschooling6