Menu

Real advice on teaching more than one child at a time....anyone?

mommydearest

I have an 8yo, 6yo, 4yo, 2yo, and #5 will be here after schools starts.

I have not been able to get a good handle on teaching the oldest 2 at the same time. And now, my 4yo will be doing quite a bit more. I realize there are some things that I must do individually with each of them, but I would really like to have them all working at the same time. It never seems to go smoothly and there is usually an overwhelming amount of stress for me. I feel like (to do a good job) I have to teach each child one on one, which means that school work takes up much more of my day than I would like. I also feel stressed a lot with the distractions of my little ones when I want/need to focus on school with the older ones. Then I feel guilty that the little ones are being ignored. Those of you with multiple kids, please share your secrets! Any advice would be so appreciated! I REALLY want this next school year to be better for everyone in my family. :001_smile:

this is one of those unanswerable questions. because, you're never going to be able to do as thorough of a job as you'd like. that's the trade-off of having a big family! you are also in the hardest stage since they are all younger. when i had your ages, my biggest challenge was keeping the 2 yo busy and happy. the 8 yo had to do more on her own, or in tandem with the 6 yo. the 4 yo did lots of activities that he thought were school. the only subjects i taught separately were math and the reading was of course separate. we all did history, art, science, whatever. i found that for my days to be smooth i had to feel peace with what i was doing. which was, raising a bunch of little kids! that was the most important thing. we did a lot of reading out loud, and messy activities. now that my oldest is 12 and #6 is a newborn, we have a different set of challenges. but the actual schooling part is a lot easier since the oldest 3 are fairly independent and they also help the youngers.

2 things to remember...this year will be hard but you won't have to do it again! and...figure out your bare minimum that you would be satisfied with and then be happy with it. don't kick yourself because you are not doing enough 'school'. you're teaching them lots of other stuff that they'll probably remember better than those math lessons. now i hope this makes sense since i'm nursing the baby and trying to help the discontented 2 y.o.!

I always just focused on the 3 r's---readin', 'ritin, and 'rithmetic.

I also used resources that were as self-teaching as possible. I did R &S English orally with them, MCP Math, and our reading program (which was different with each child.)

Also, SHORT lessons....like no more than 20 minutes for your oldest. Lots of short breaks after lessons. I also set up play/learning centers for the kids. And we actually did a lot of school after dinner when Daddy could help corral the toddlers, and the infant was asleep.

You don't need all the extras right now....just stick with the 3 r's and maybe do some fun read alouds from historical fiction. Having graduated 3 (of 6), I can tell you that before 5th grade, the content areas just aren't that important academically.

peace to you....

Combine the older two as much as possible.

SOTW is great for combining history. I use it for all 3 of my older kids, though ds is expected to get more in depth on his own.

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey is good for combining science.

My girls also do First Language Lessons together, but I have the older dd do more writing and the younger dd do more "discussion".

Art/music/misc. unit studies are all done together.

We do separate for WWE and math. Read alouds are together, but independent reading is tailored to their levels.

I'm not doing any pre-k yet, but I really don't do more than 30-60 intentional minutes/day until the 1st grade.

Our #5 is due in December, so we've planned to complete 4 weeks of schooling over the summer, focusing on the hands-on stuff, in order to take about 6 weeks off around the baby's arrival. I also plan to put together a lot of fun, independent work for them to tackle in my last couple of weeks before delivery.

It's all mind boggling, but it's doable. You and the kids will find your groove!

I hope some of what I have to say helps you in your situation.

Last year I got a real wakeup call of how it was to HS 2 kids and take care of a baby. The early stages with the baby were so EASY! I had him in his moby wrap and nursed him and he slept nearly the entire day. But once he stopped doing that..I think about 3 months old..is when I began to think I was in for some big trouble!

I nearly fell off the bandwagon 3 times last year and had to do everything in my heart to pull it together just enough to get them ready for the summer. Needless to say we're still doing makeup reading that we should've been done with midway of last year! So don't go into this unorganized like I did. I never thought it'd be as big of an issue as it turned out to be.

Now my son is going to be 18 months old when this school year begins and the things I've done differently to prepare for next year that I DID NOT do last year are the following...

• Schedule! I actually made out the schedule planner using Donna Youngs free weekly planner for 2. Now I'm set for the entire school year on what goals we have for each subject.
  • Prepare ahead of time! I've begun setting up all the school work per child for the entire school year to come. This is a HUGE and daunting task but I know it'll pay off big time during the school year! I have a filing cabinet that I've begun putting the years worth of lessons. I have a hanging file for each child per subject as well as a hanging file for the combined subjects we do as a class and I have a hanging file folder for materials for myself.
  • Implement a workbox system. If you're unsure of what this is ask away or search here or google. It's something I'm SO thankful I came across!! We've got our shelving unit shipping as we speak. I will be going to The Dollar Tree tomorrow to pick up the final pieces to bring our workbox system together. I'm including a tub/crate per child as well as one for our combo subjects and one for the little toddler! I want him to have things to do and I don't want to have to chase him around the house finding things for him to do. So these will be HIS "school" items.
  • Be Realistic! Somedays you aren't going to get to do school smoothly. But know that teaching everyday life skills is part of homeschool! If you're morning is rough and the kids are clingy and "bored" or need you..grab them all and put them into the kitchen..and BAKE! Who doesn't love teaching math with baking skills and then of course EVERYONE gets a treat! :)

The workbox system is something I NEEDED to come across this year. This allows me to fill the bags/envies per subject per child each day. This gives them time to do some independant work, allows them to see how much more work they will need to do and this helps you keep on track too! Check into it!

I agree with combining as much as possible. It really simplifies things. Something that works for us, is that a lot of what they learn, they learn by reading. They stock up on library books from subjects I get them, then every day they read on their own. Then we talk about it. It frees up time for me, gives them something they can do on their own. Then we do their math together.

This coming up year, we'll be doing lesson blocks. The lessons will be short everyday, and everyone will be studying hte same subject at the same time. I feel like this will really make things easier since my youngest will be joining us. We'll have circle time where we'll do music, rhymes, poetry- stuff like that, but we'll also do a little math practice and get some exercise while we're there. Then I'll send the oldest 2 to do handwork while I work with ds, then he can go play while I work with the oldest 2.

This year (our first year trying TWTM) we tried to do so much, and everyone was doing something different, and the little one wanted to join in. We were spread out very thin, it was really overwhelming. But I feel pretty good about what we have planned this year. Short, loose and combined as much as possible.

:iagree:

Combine as much as you can. I have three children too, my oldest will be an 8th grader next year so she works independently a lot, although I teach some co-op classes where she is one of my students!

My younger two are 9 and soon to be 8. Last year for the first time I gave them a schedule of work they could do on their own. I called it “On My Own†and it had things like: Copy Work (Cursive or Print/ depending on the child), Typing program on the computer 20 minutes (3rd grader), SOS Spanish (1 lesson), Independent Reader (30 minutes) and while one of them was busy completing “On My Own†(Laminated and with check mark boxes!), I worked with the other child on Math/Phonics/Grammar and what ever was a one on one subject for the day.

The younger two have always done Science and History together (STOW , Sonlight, my own history--what ever we are doing for history! and Sonlight science). In the afternoon I worked with my oldest solving anything she had problems with and we did Science together.

Curricula that is multiage:

Sonlight (some what if they are close in age)

Tapestry of Grace

My Father’s World

I am sure there is more, but I have used some of each and I have liked parts of each.

2 yo's are hard...

I try to stagger my two oldest kids. My 10 yo is mostly independent now. For the few subjects where she needs me, I try to set my 6 yo up with independent seatwork. His schoolwork load is much lighter than hers, so I put off all of his Mommy-intensive work for the afternoons when she is doing her reading. I only do a little bit of phonics and math with my 4 yo. I let her color at her desk in the schoolroom after she is done with her work if she wishes.

Oh, and we do assignment sheets. It is very helpful for my older kids to know what they can move on to next when they finish an assignment. I print out a checklist for each of them each morning from HST. They each get their own bookshelf.

I have no suggestions for 2 yo's. 2 year olds are hard...

I feel like (to do a good job) I have to teach each child one on one, which means that school work takes up much more of my day than I would like.
This is key here. You need to cut yourself some slack, and give the kids some credit for being able to get a lot out of combined situations. You've got some mama guilt going on. :o

Then I feel guilty that the little ones are being ignored.
Yes. Mama guilt.

Spend 30 minutes with the little ones early in the day, snuggling and reading to them. That will help them to connect to you, give them a sense of having been acknowledged, and soothe your mama's heart. That'll go a long way toward increasing your energy for the rest of them.

There are (have been) a lot of threads on keeping the toddler-types and preschoolers busy with their own "school" (toy) stuff. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My (now) 4 yr old was a real terror when she was 2 1/2 for about three months. The house/furniture still has the scars to prove it. My (now) 3 yr old was pretty challenging when he was 2 1/2. That age is just pretty darn hard.

My kids all like to be read to. I try to make our afternoon school work revolve around reading on the couch. We do history (SOTW) and science as well as religious studies and other electives in the afternoon together.

A schedule really helps us - who is with Mom at any one time and who is watching over different little ones also. For example, when I really need to be spending quality time working on phonics or a math with one of the two olders, the other one can be playing with one or two of the youngers. My oldest can be reading aloud (for the upteenth time) one of the youngers' favorite books.

Mine are roughly the same ages as yours & I added my #5 in September of last year. Good luck!

I have kids of a similar age (just not as many :001_smile:). I agree that combining as much as possible helps, but some things don't combine well for that age range. Primarily Math and Language Arts. At our house we combine for History, Science, Literature, Bible etc. but use Christian Light Education LightUnits for Math and Language Arts. Seriously it changed my life last year! My 8 year old is able to go through her lessons COMPLETELY on her own (only occasionally asking for clarification on new topics!) My 6 year old still needs me to read directions and do reading with him, but even he is learning to do his work independently. Also the 8 year old is able to help the 6 year old by reading directions if I need her to.

Lindsey

DD 8

DS6

DD3

I agree with what RootAnn said about schedule. I am 1. deciding what MUST be done daily and 2. writing down everything (can it be done if everything was perfect? if yes, at least I have something to work towards...)

So let me write down an example of my perfect schedule and maybe you can see yours somewhere in mine:

These schedules are for dc #1 & 2; #3 still takes a morning nap. When that is dropped:001_huh:, it will be difficult for awhile but we do have "special school toys"; #4 is due in December and will just be sleeping, eating, or staring at us - easy (compared to the others)

MWF

1.Breakfast

2.Younger children have roomtime (1hr - we do this everyday - it is something the kids will need to get used to so if you need to "practice", start now!)

dd1 does Math with me

3.Bible (together)

4.Reading, Math, Writing w/dd2 (dd1 does individual things)

5.SWO (pretest - only takes minutes - dd2 rests)

6.History (together)

TH

1-4.same

5.Grammar/Writing for dd1; dd2 (craft)

6.Science (together)

Individual things for dd1: Craft (we are going to attempt finger knitting), Spanish (on the computer), Practice Piano, Free Reading, free craft (I have craft bags I made last summer), SWO (when it's not a pre-test or a test)

dd2 & ds1 take naps at the same time; dd1 reads to me for awhile and then rests for the rest of their nap. Since I am going to have her miss her roomtime in the fall (which she LOVES), I may let her just have roomtime some days if she doesn't seem tired.

I hope this all makes sense. I have not done this yet (this is my plan for the fall) but I know how my kids work so I *think* this will work. I made History and Science last as well because if I don't get to them daily, it is not the end of the world. Mine are young (as are yours) - the 3 Rs are the most important.

Hi! I have an 8 yro, 7 yro, 5 yro and 2 yro. I'm currently teaching Kindergarten, 2nd grade and 3rd grade.

I combine the 8 yro and 7 yro in almost everything. In fact, my 7 yro son will probably catch up to 8 yro daughter in math next year. They do LA and Spelling separately.

Kindergarten takes about 30 min-45 min.

Read-Alouds done at night for bedtime story... 8 yro and 7 yro are responsible for their own Independent Reading. :tongue_smilie:

I write out a syllabus for 8 yro every week and she accomplished "Blocks of Schoolwork" on her own - and on her own time.

Some curricula are "written to the student" in the older grades (after 4th grade) - this is something to keep in mind if you really start to lose it one year (like CLE, K12, I think ACE but not sure, Switched on Schoolhouse or Oak Meadow).

Some curricula are giant-family-friendly :tongue_smilie:like Sonlight (we do Sonlight) and TOG (but don't know much about TOG) and My Father's World (we like MFW also).

We also school year-round and on weekends if necessary. :D

Good luck! Remember - for the littles - Legos, Playdoh, those Elmer paint-marker-brush things that don't make a mess, rice in cookie sheets, set up Little People villages in living room, create a farm animal scene on the table, a movie/quiet time at noon, etc. It's hard to keep a 2 yro busy, but if you can get a good 2 hours of playtime in or a nap, you can get a bulk of schoolwork finished.

This is how I did it when my older ones were the ages of yours:

1. Do school during the younger's nap times.

2. Use curricula that is not teacher intensive and get the older two working independently as much as possible.

3. Concentrate on the basics: phonics/reading and math. Do other subjects informally as you have the time.

4. Limit school to 2 hours a day or less.

5. If you can't school during naptime have one of the older ones play with the 2yo while you work one on one with the other, then switch.

Susan in TX

First of all, when they are little like yours, homeschooling is overwhelming. However, it does get better! As they grow and can do more for themselves they start not needing you as much in every area of their lives. I know it's hard now to believe that--I used to think it would NEVER happen. I was surprised by how quickly it did happen. My suggestion is to enjoy your kids. If you aren't enjoying them, you are doing too much.

I agree with those who said schedule, do short lessons, combine wherever you can, and stick with the basics. And, don't feel guilty. Do what you can. God gave us 24 hours in a day, and He knows our limitations.

My number one suggestion is play pen time for that baby when it comes. If you are not a structured type person, you might not like the idea. If you want to know how I did it, e-mail me.

Good luck to you and congrats on the new one on its way!

My number one suggestion is play pen time for that baby when it comes.

YES! You can do playpen time from age 1 mo until your child has enough self-control to have roomtime without tearing up the room (my ds (14 mo) is still doing playpen time) It's WONDERFUL!!!

I don't have any actual experience, but a friend recently wrote a post regarding this issue: http://ourbusyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2010/06/homeschooling-houseful-and-living-to.html

Excellent blog/ post, thank you!!!

There are (have been) a lot of threads on keeping the toddler-types and preschoolers busy with their own "school" (toy) stuff. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My (now) 4 yr old was a real terror when she was 2 1/2 for about three months. The house/furniture still has the scars to prove it. My (now) 3 yr old was pretty challenging when he was 2 1/2. That age is just pretty darn hard.

My kids all like to be read to. I try to make our afternoon school work revolve around reading on the couch. We do history (SOTW) and science as well as religious studies and other electives in the afternoon together.

A schedule really helps us - who is with Mom at any one time and who is watching over different little ones also. For example, when I really need to be spending quality time working on phonics or a math with one of the two olders, the other one can be playing with one or two of the youngers. My oldest can be reading aloud (for the upteenth time) one of the youngers' favorite books.

Mine are roughly the same ages as yours & I added my #5 in September of last year. Good luck!

I've started a thread or two about keeping sanity while schooling with a 3 year old boy/ terror. :tongue_smilie:

I (this week) started taking walks with the kids before breakfast to kind of burn some energy/ wake them up and let them see daylight before starting school. It has seemed to help with him, especially. Even if you have to use the stroller, it seems like just getting out helps. (I push the lil' stinker in his big wheel with a stick. :rolleyes:

Also, I've started setting a classical radio station for background music. It seems to calm the environment. I hope that helps even a little. :)

I'll be :bigear: for more tips too!

I have a good friend who homeschools with a large family. She has the busiest 3 year old son you ever saw! This past year she finally gave up and enrolled him in MMO for a few hours 2 days a week. Says it was the best decision she ever made!

:iagree:My younger two are 9 and soon to be 8. Last year for the first time I gave them a schedule of work they could do on their own. I called it “On My Own†and it had things like: Copy Work (Cursive or Print/ depending on the child), Typing program on the computer 20 minutes (3rd grader), SOS Spanish (1 lesson), Independent Reader (30 minutes) and while one of them was busy completing “On My Own†(Laminated and with check mark boxes!), I worked with the other child on Math/Phonics/Grammar and what ever was a one on one subject for the day.

This is such a good idea! I don't know why I haven't thought to do this with my dd. She just turned 9 and can do some things on her own. What normally happens is she ends up just playing while I work with ds. If I have a schedule for her to check off, it may very well get done! Thanks for sharing!

I blogged about this b/c the question comes up all the time -- it's an important one!

:001_smile: Tina, Thanks for that blog post. It's chock full of wonderful, WISE counsel . . . I think that less experienced Mamas (me!) forget that the training process does take time . . . it is training and it doesn't happen in a day or even a week. We just need to accept that a patient, consistent, persistent plan put into play day by day will eventually yield good fruit . . . the time table is sometimes hard to accept (at least for me :D).

Thanks again for sharing!!!! You are a blessing . . .

:001_smile: Tina, Thanks for that blog post. It's chock full of wonderful, WISE counsel . . . I think that less experienced Mamas (me!) forget that the training process does take time . . . it is training and it doesn't happen in a day or even a week. We just need to accept that a patient, consistent, persistent plan put into play day by day will eventually yield good fruit . . . the time table is sometimes hard to accept (at least for me :D).

Thanks again for sharing!!!! You are a blessing . . .

Katrina,

It is ALL about training...in school, behavior, everything! And believe me, it doesn't stop being about training, the focus just shifts...now it's not sit still, now it's get up and be proactive :) It goes from take care of personal space, to help cut the grass :D Honestly, and I mean this so sincerely, it has always been about training myself in consistency, too (I don't like to admit that, so shhhh, don't tell dh!)