Menu

When Mom is the sugar addict.....

I think I am addicted to sugar. I start thinking about treats during the morning hours and then count the hours/minutes through the day to eating treats at night. Ice cream, M & Ms, oreos are some of my weaknesses. My family's nutrition is affected by my addiction to sweets. I buy chips, crackers, cookies, we make brownies a lot, popsicles, ice cream etc. I also love Root Beer. (I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks because they affected my heart rhythm.)

I do drink a ton of water and we do make fairly balanced, southern style meals. It's the snacks and treats and desserts that are the main problem.

Anyway, I need to make a change and just the thought of cutting out sweets makes me feel a little panicky. Have any of you moved from indulging a sweet tooth/addiction to providing a much healthier food lifestyle? Did you cut back slowly? Did you quit cold turkey?

Particularly would appreciate advice from previously sugar-addicted folks who have moved to a healthy lifestyle, but I'm open to thoughts from anyone willing to respond.

Thanks, Ladies! Off to search for some new, healthy entrees to put into rotation.

Well, I'm right there with ya. I haven't taken the plunge (yet...) but I was intrigued by the 7 Steps presented on this website and in the related book.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

I'm equally interested in the book written for children, in light of my 2 year old's mood swings and his desire to ONLY eat snacks/desserts (I don't let him, but that doesn't mean we don't have to fight over it every day).

I have no excuse as to why I haven't tried it yet. Except... yummmmy coooookkiiies...

I have! I used to be a sugar monster! I would tell you to do whatever you are most comfortable with. If you are eating sweets a few times a day start by replacing one sweet with fruit. If it's not a meal time and your hankering for sweets--try sugarless gum and keep yourself busy and away from the treats. I hate to say it, but you'll have to buy less of the treats and you and your children may not like it--but if you really want to stop, at some point you'll have to take it out. I used to bake constantly and had an abundance of treats in the house "for the kids" ya know. But we switched to just having a special treat or two a week and just buying a great cookie or two or just going out for ice cream. If you are the type that can go cold turkey--go for that, it'll probably get done sooner.

Because of giving up on the sweets and junk "all the time" I've lost 40 lbs almost. And you know, I tell myself that I can have sweets whenever I want...I just wait for the times in the week that I have designated as "treat times". HTHs Jennifer

I have problems with this. I've tried various things over the years, sometimes in rotation. It seems that anything gets rationalized out of usefulness after awhile so I've got to switch. Some things that I've tried: (Success varies :))

I may not eat sugar after the dc are in bed when dh is at work. (He works evenings.)

I put a ban on eating a particular food (chocolate chips, the gummy bears Mom sends for the dc (thanks, Mom!:glare:), the last bit of ice cream) because I'm "saving it" for someone/thing.

I managed to wiggle my way out of the nightly bowl of ice cream last fall by replacing it with a nightly mug of uncaffeinated tea and a book.

I have to drink a full glass of water before eating anything when I want sugar. (Hopefully I'll find myself distracted.)

We don't keep cookies, candy (except for grandma gifts and bank suckers), etc. around on a regular basis. But I can always come up with something! :tongue_smilie:

HTH!

Mama Anna

I was the sugar addict. I made a rule, I can only have sweets if I make them myself. Nothing store bought. Yes, I do make them. But with a family of 5, they go fast enough that I can't over do it.

I just don't buy the junk anymore.

I've also replaced unhealthy sweet treats with fruit smoothies or fresh fruit. I love a strawberry smoothie just as much as a milk shake.

When I did it I said I was going cold turkey, but in truth, I was still having a tiny bit of treats. Like the weekend I quit was Easter and my mom made a cheesecake. Well, it fit my homemade rule! My husband makes homemade ice cream. That was hard on me at first, but I've become very good at controlling my ice cream urges. I allow myself only a very small amount. If you need to, make the changes gradually.

I used to eat Skittles all the time. I continued until my daughter got old enough to notice and want them, and now I keep them out of the house. I don't buy candy, and any cookies etc I make myself. When we've had some, I either send the remainder to work with my husband or, since everyone there probably gets too much sugar, throw it out. I hate to waste but it's better than being overweight! I eat fruit. Getting over the addiction does take time. And keeping the kids away from it is also difficult I imagine--but they DON"T need it either, at all! But when I go, I go all out with decadence, but that's rare. No need to eat low-calorie cookies every day, eat the real thing once in awhile.

I had to quit cold turkey. DH has a junk food cabinet that he keeps locked. I often know the combination b/c if I'm not struggling, there's no temptation but if I am having a PMS "give me the sugar and I'll let you live" type day, I lock it (usually in a moment of panic that I'm about to cave in) and he won't tell me the NEW combo so I have no access to it. There is no sugar anywhere in the house but there. I needed this b/c I have absolutely no control with sugar and I know it hurts me but when the beast rises up inside, I just don't give a toot. I am doing much better than I was; when we started this system, I was eating a party size bag of M&M's a DAY. Yeah, that's a problem!

Anytime I fall off the wagon, it takes about 3 weeks to stop wanting to hurt someone and steal their sugar. I spend alot of time being busy with project, drink a ton of water (with a dash of lemon) and remind myself all the time that I don't need xyz. M&M's no longer appeal to me, btw.

Through a long process over the course of the last few years, I have come to the conclusion that I have a real "addiction to carbs". Mine takes the form of eating way to many sweets.

Going cold turkey is the only thing that works for me. I have learned the hard way that I cannot ever eat them. I have tried the "just a taste" but it always derails me and leads me back into eating far too much sweet stuff!

Seriously, I could practically live on just sweets. I love them!

Physically I feel so much better when I do not eat sweets or carbs, except those that are in fruits, nuts, and veggies.

When I first eliminate them I have to stay away from fruit as well for the first couple of weeks. Then I limit my fruit intake to one or two servings a day.

When I am not eating any I do not crave them and I don't mind them being around. There are times when my head misses them but I don't physically crave them.

Hope this is helpful and that you find what works for you.

M&M's no longer appeal to me, btw.

Really? But they're so crunchy. Their colors are so vivid and beautiful. Eating a bright green M&M makes me so happy. Is it really possible to not desire them anymore?

The OP sounds exactly like me. I devour chocolate if it is within reach, so I don't bring it home, but still... I have chocolate chips in the cupboard when I get desperate. The problem is that I get desperate every day. Look at the age/# of my kids!

I have a friend like this as well and she made a vow to herself to never eat anything chocolate again and quit cold-turkey. (She was an economy-size-M&M-bag-eater as well). She has been clean for years. I'm not willing to go quite that far; I don't think I could keep that promise. Besides, what would be the point of living if I never tasted chocolate again?

What to do, what to do :confused:

Through a long process over the course of the last few years, I have come to the conclusion that I have a real "addiction to carbs". Mine takes the form of eating way to many sweets.

Going cold turkey is the only thing that works for me. I have learned the hard way that I cannot ever eat them. I have tried the "just a taste" but it always derails me and leads me back into eating far too much sweet stuff!

Seriously, I could practically live on just sweets. I love them!

Physically I feel so much better when I do not eat sweets or carbs, except those that are in fruits, nuts, and veggies.

When I first eliminate them I have to stay away from fruit as well for the first couple of weeks. Then I limit my fruit intake to one or two servings a day.

When I am not eating any I do not crave them and I don't mind them being around. There are times when my head misses them but I don't physically crave them.

Hope this is helpful and that you find what works for you.

You guys amaze me. Maybe that is the only way. :crying:

But I follow Eat to Live and I have absolutely NO CRAVINGS.

No afternoon slump, no need for a pick-me-up.

I have dark chocolate in my home and haven't been tempted.

Fruit tastes so good after a few weeks following E2L.

I FEEL TERRIFIC. Made it through the first 6 weeks and I'm just going to keep eating this way. I don't want to introduce bad carbs/meat/dairy and give up feeling great.

I am one of those dieters that can't have just a little of something. I had issues with peanut butter in my late teens/early twenties (spoonfuls right out of the jar) and I went cold turkey. Didn't have peanut butter again for years. When I did start eating it again I was able to control my quantity and never "craved it" again.

So my vote is "go cold turkey" --- finish up what you have in the house and don't bring anymore into the house. If you want your kids to have some junk, buy it and label it for them only. Don't even take a bite...

I think I am addicted to sugar. I start thinking about treats during the morning hours and then count the hours/minutes through the day to eating treats at night. Ice cream, M & Ms, oreos are some of my weaknesses. My family's nutrition is affected by my addiction to sweets. I buy chips, crackers, cookies, we make brownies a lot, popsicles, ice cream etc. I also love Root Beer. (I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks because they affected my heart rhythm.)

I do drink a ton of water and we do make fairly balanced, southern style meals. It's the snacks and treats and desserts that are the main problem.

Anyway, I need to make a change and just the thought of cutting out sweets makes me feel a little panicky. Have any of you moved from indulging a sweet tooth/addiction to providing a much healthier food lifestyle? Did you cut back slowly? Did you quit cold turkey?

Particularly would appreciate advice from previously sugar-addicted folks who have moved to a healthy lifestyle, but I'm open to thoughts from anyone willing to respond.

Thanks, Ladies! Off to search for some new, healthy entrees to put into rotation.

I'm a former sugar addict myself, 3 weeks into the Atkins eating plan. I can honestly say that I no longer have the cravings I used to have.:D

Now sometimes I do feel a little sad that I can no longer have those "treats," but that sadness quickly fades as I think about how much better I feel now. Also, I can still have my "sweets"..........Atkins has pretty good shakes and dessert bars. You can get samples & tools for free at http://www.atkins.com/Index.aspx.

Thank you to all of you who have shared a bit of what has worked for you. I am usually a "cold turkey" gal. I can just say no to something and not look back. I don't think I can and I know I don't want to completely cut out sweets. I DO want to have a proper/healthy/on occasion relationship with sweets. I definitely have the carb thing going on, too. I had not connected the two. UGH.

I need some accountability (my hubby and kids can't be that for me). I have a couple of options of people near me who might be willing to be that for me.

I am drawn to the idea of "if I want it, I have to make it" thing. I will need to add the "from scratch" phrase to that, to make it more effective.:D

Or maybe I could do the cold turkey thing for a while and then re-introduce only home made things. Hmmmmm.

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'll check those out!

Meanwhile, I'll try to ignore the M & Ms that are calling me from the cabinet.

Well, I'm right there with ya. I haven't taken the plunge (yet...) but I was intrigued by the 7 Steps presented on this website and in the related book.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

I'm equally interested in the book written for children, in light of my 2 year old's mood swings and his desire to ONLY eat snacks/desserts (I don't let him, but that doesn't mean we don't have to fight over it every day).

I have no excuse as to why I haven't tried it yet. Except... yummmmy coooookkiiies...

Sarah,

Thanks for this. When I checked out the site I realized that I already have one of the books! http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Addicts-Total-Recovery-Program/dp/034544132X How embarrassing is that! Guess I know what I will be reading tonight!

I scanned the thread but didn't read everything, so if I'm saying the same things, just ignore me :D

I recently did the induction phase of South Beach (no carbs, just protein and low/no-carb vegetables, legumes, etc.) and kicked my sugar addiction that way. I can honestly say it was one of the hardest (if not the hardest, natural childbirth included) things I've ever done. I went through all the stages of grief--I'm not even kidding. The whole shebang. I didn't even realize it until I found myself bargaining with...myself, I guess :lol: It was scary, and it made me realize just how addicted I was. The things that went through my head made me sound and feel like a drug addict. And I didn't realize just how every element of my life was associated with sugar. Going to Target? I can get a Milky Way Midnight! Oh, no, wait, I can't. OK, but I could really use a Coke! Oh, wait, I can't. The kids are in bed? Time to unwind by making cookies! But I can't. Going to my parents' house? Breyer's chocolate chip mint ice cream! Barnes & Noble? Frappuccino! But by the time I was through the other end of the tunnel, I had kicked it.

Now I have sugar, and I do still eat too much of it when I'm not paying attention, but I'm not compelled by it anymore! I can actually pass on dessert after dinner or leave half my mocha shake if it's grossing me out, or throw away the rest of my lemon ice. Those funnel cakes smell soooo good, but not tonight. (Can you tell we're on vacation at the moment? :lol:) It's very freeing.

If you decide to go cold turkey, there are two supplements that helped me. 5-HTP and glutamine squash or eliminate the cravings for carbs. When I take them, I want protein all day long instead (and avocados, mmmm). I don't think I'd have made it through those two weeks without them. I lost 5 pounds that I've pretty much kept off (lost more but gained a few back), so I'm headed back to low carbville tomorrow when vacation is over, but now it won't be such a struggle. (Plus, I really need to eliminate the last of the gluten in my diet anyway--my digestive system hates me right now.)

Good luck!

ETA: Those book recommendations are great. Understanding just what sugar does to your body is very helpful when you're making this kind of change. I've been having horrible heartburn and digestive problems for the past few years. The more I read, the more I started to wonder whether it's the gluten that is my problem, or the sugar/carbs. Either way, my diet has changed dramatically, and will continue to do so until I can finally eat without choking on my food :(

Edited by melissel

I have a link for all of you on this topic which summarizes the issue quite nicely. Here you go:

Now, I know it's a lengthy lecture, and at some point he gets very "professional" and talks about quite a high-level Biochemistry which might bore you, BUT, continue watching nonetheless, since there are more good points to come.

The summary of the lecture, and the book he mentions, are the things that my husband (a chemist, biochemist and working in Pharmaceutics, so what this guy is lecturing about is quite his field) is quite - excuse my language - anal about ALL. THE. TIME. If there is one thing that man doesn't support, that's fructose. He would prefer us not to eat any at all, period. He taught the kids the biochemistry of fructose before I taught them the chemistry of photosynthesis. And the best thing of all is that I know a WHOLE LOT of his colleagues who are equally anal about the thing with their spouses and children, it does seem to be quite a serious issue.

Long story put short: forget about glucose. Forget about avoiding pasta, that's totally not the issue. Forget about typical low-carb. Focus on fructose, on avoiding foods that contain fructose.

Fructose aids your body in NO WAY whatsoever. It's literally a legal drug - all those sweets, sodas, icecreams, you name it, are in fact nothing but drugs; chemically, the withdrawal symptoms also match those of withdrawal from a substance abuse.

It does nothing good, but it steals away your energy and health. It's also tied not only to obesity, but to all kinds of relatively new diseases and "diseases", such as ADHD, depression, cancer, etc. Low-fat people are especially in danger of fructose, since guess what they put in all those low-fat foods to get the taste when they take the food out? Fructose, of course.

Now, I'm on the "let's not be extremists" side, and it's not that I'm going to rule it out of my life - but if I had an issue with it, I definitely would, no matter how hard it might be. Don't fool yourself, in the beginning, with "trying to eat less" - an alcoholic CANNOT have "only one drink", and a person who is dependent on sugar CANNOT have "only one piece". Go cold turkey, and just CUT it for a while. After that, see IF and how you can implement the minimal doses in your life. But if you can't control yourself, seriously, you're better off without all those sugary foods and then you have no worries.

Melissa, what did you do in those moments you mentioned? THOSE are the hardest for me too!! Thinking of when I can have my next coke...cause I don't keep it in the house, LOL! (does me no good if I just go out and buy one every day!!) And waiting til the kids are in bed for my bowl of ice cream...

Focus on fructose, on avoiding foods that contain fructose.

What about the naturally occurring fructose in fruit? Is that as much of a problem as the processed kind?

Candace, I cried through a lot of those two weeks. Isn't that terrifying, that someone can be so addicted to FOOD?! It was so hard for me to face. I basically held on to the countdown for dear life and made sure I stocked the house with carb-free food that I love so that at least I could go have that instead. I ate a lot of avocados with a tiny drizzle of vinaigrette (allowed on South Beach), huge salads with goat cheese (actually not allowed, but I didn't care, I wasn't worried so much about the fat content), chicken breast with nacho makings on top, nuts, ham and cheese with high-quality, delicious mustard...things that tasted good to me, even though they weren't exactly what I was craving. I spent a lot of money those two weeks, buying more expensive, higher-quality things that I normally wouldn't spend the money on, but I needed to have things that satisfied me on hand.

Also, one of the hardest parts for me, but the part that was truly key to holding off the cravings, was to fill myself with the right foods BEFORE I was hungry. It's so hard for me to do that, because eating when I'm not actually feeling hunger yet makes me nauseous. But if even a tiny tendril of hunger slipped into my brain, I was lost; then all I could think about was sugar/carbs, and it made staying "straight" that much more difficult.

It helped that my DH had been through it too and supported me 100%, and even the kids helped me. Really though, if you're serious about it, check out those two supplements I mentioned. I don't think I would have made it without them, and once the addiction is broken, it's broken and you don't need them anymore (unless you get hooked again, of course).

What about the naturally occurring fructose in fruit? Is that as much of a problem as the processed kind?

No, not nearly as much (I think that that issue is also addressed in the lecture I linked, since the body reacts differently to it; can't handle those details myself though, Biochemistry is so not my field :D). That's in fact how you should get your sugars: through fruit, rather than added everywhere.

As with most of the things in life, moderation is the key; the only issue here is that the red line of what's "moderate" when it comes to fructose is actually a LOT lower than what most of the people in the US consume, since fructose is being put literally everywhere. So, the red line would, according to my husband, be exactly above the "fruit level", with zero candies. I say small guilty pleasures in life are perfectly okay sometimes, if you can make sure they stay - small occasional pleasures in life, rather than an everyday addition that will seriously affect your health. :)

I don't think sugar is very interesting without fat. And refined carbs (like white flour) make it taste even better.

I'm just not keeping butter in the house. I have a jar of sugar, a bag of powdered sugar, and a bag of flour in my fridge, but I'm not tempted by them. But if I had butter and eggs here, there would be some serious temptation . . .

Maybe we all just have to find our own way with this.

I seriously don't know if I can go through this again. How sad is that? I was totally gung-ho last year...read the book, got rid of everything, cleaned out the pantry, etc.

I lasted several months...but I don't know if I have the energy to do it again. I want to be healthier, I don't feel well most of the time...and I think the sugar probably feeds my depression. :glare: Ugggg...

thanks for all the tips, ladies...I need to pray for some serious motivation and discipline!

When I did the South Beach a few years ago, I had withdrawal symptoms so badly I looked like an addict. I had the shakes, I got light-headed, and I was obsessed with cravings.

It took 4 days, but my addiction was broken and I felt sooooo good. When I broke the fast and had a "treat" of Dr. Pepper, it tasted disgusting to me. Hershey's and it's ilk had no appeal, though I did enjoy nice, dark chocolates in small amounts.

Eventually, I over-rode all the good I had accomplished, though this did take about a year or so. I've tackled it again once or twice and was successful, though I had to go through detox all over again. The least symptomatic sugar-detox I've done was the Master Cleanse, but this was because I was constantly drinking sugar. Oddly enough, I did not crave sweets at all after that cleanse.

All of the methods were work. I'm needing one again, but not wanting to work at it. I know from experience that it is a short-term effort with major long-term benefits. But I really, really want my party-sized bag of Raisinets and Lindt Stracciatella. really. really. want.

Really? But they're so crunchy. Their colors are so vivid and beautiful. Eating a bright green M&M makes me so happy. Is it really possible to not desire them anymore?...

I just decided to lost 5-7 pounds today... thanks a lot! :tongue_smilie: