Menu

ipod died - need advice/suggestions

Sadly, despite my best ipod cpr, my lovely old ipod has died. I need to buy a new one, but I really don't know much about them. I need to be able to make playlists and select them (for work) so I can't use a shuffle. I'd also like to be able to use my itunes library, 'cause it's a pain to reload all that. We do also use the ipod for audiobooks, but I think all mp3 players can play those.

Do I have to get another ipod? Are other mp3 players as good?

Any shopping advice you can share is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Sadly, despite my best ipod cpr, my lovely old ipod has died. I need to buy a new one, but I really don't know much about them. I need to be able to make playlists and select them (for work) so I can't use a shuffle. I'd also like to be able to use my itunes library, 'cause it's a pain to reload all that. We do also use the ipod for audiobooks, but I think all mp3 players can play those.

TIA

I believe that all iPods (with the exception of the Shuffle) can make playlists. I am not too sure about mp3 players making playlists.

I have a nano, 8gb. I have four audiobooks on it, five full-length movies, and about 150 songs and there is still 4 gb left.

If you don't need that much space, go for the 4gb.

The nano has games, you can make playlists, watch movies, listen to songs, put pictures on them, and I believe there is a calender you can download off of iTunes, along with many other apps you can download.

I love it. It was a hand-me-down, so not sure of its price, but mine is the oldest form of the nano, and it still works great. No problems with it.

ETA: Also, most mp3s use batteries while as you know, iPods charge. I have a wall charger for my iPod as well and it was worth the money. Nanos have a good battery life. I used to have an mp3 that would die if I didn't use it in about 2 weeks. My nano doesn't die unless it is being used excessively so I would definitely get an iPod.

I have a Sanza Fuze that I love. Does everything mentioned here plus picks up FM radio ( a MUST for me - need my public radio) and is a voice recorder. It's only 4 gbs but it is expandable via micro SD cards.

Don't be afraid to step outside the Apple cult. It's a wonderful, beautiful and cheap world out there beyond it. :D

My dd bought a refurb iPod from Apple. Has not had a problem at all.

My other dd and I bought refurb Sansa Fuze's from Woot. We LOVE them...and we caught iPod dd drooling. LOL!

Should add...can't remember what dd paid for iPod...but our Fuze's were about $35 if I remember correctly. And they charge via the laptop just like the iPod

My dd bought a refurb iPod from Apple. Has not had a problem at all.

My other dd and I bought refurb Sansa Fuze's from Woot. We LOVE them...and we caught iPod dd drooling. LOL!

Should add...can't remember what dd paid for iPod...but our Fuze's were about $35 if I remember correctly. And they charge via the laptop just like the iPod

That's the one thing that annoyed me though because when it's charging via the USB plug you can't listen to it. BUT I bought a nifty charger for it for about $20 (Canadian)that works in an ordinary outlet and in the car AND the Fuze will play as it charges.

That's the one thing that annoyed me though because when it's charging via the USB plug you can't listen to it. BUT I bought a nifty charger for it for about $20 (Canadian)that works in an ordinary outlet and in the car AND the Fuze will play as it charges.

Can you give more details on this? I'd be interested!

Can you give more details on this? I'd be interested!

I found it in the charger section of a local Futureshop (a Bestbuy competitor up here). It has a retractable USB cord that plugs into the fuze and the standard USB end plugs into a piece that plugs into both a wall outlet and a car outlet.

This is something similar although mine came with a Fuze-specific plug. I think you could probably just get any universal charger like that with a USB port and be fine.

Edited by WishboneDawn

My suggestion? Cry! :crying: Curse. :cursing: Bang your head on the wall. :banghead: Be angry.:mad: Very angry.:angry: Plug it in 20 different times, to 20 different computers and HOPE against all odds it works. Cry some more when it doesn't.:crying: Then go out and buy a new one, because you've been wanting the touch anyway but couldn't justify the purchase when you had a perfectly good iPod. At least... that's what I did when my old iPod video died on me!!

Those are the "my iPod has died" stages of grief. :D

I use my iPod every, single day. When mine died I think I really grieved over it. lol. I thought about leaving Apple for about 1.5 seconds, but I love the iPods.

Do make sure you've gone through all the ipod rescue steps on the apple web site. We've sent one in for service and been happy with the result. We've also bought refurbished ones and been very happy. As to the radio, I gotta say I am loving my NPR radio shows in podcast form - much more convenient. If you don't know abut podcasts and iTunes U, check them out, there is so much value there. We've also gotten audio books from Audible.com, so we can do car schooling.

I love, love, love my ipod.

TIA

Are you totally sure it's dead? My mom was sure her ipod was dead the other day, I had to help her reset it (over the PHONE, being overseas tech support to your parents stinks!).

If it were me, I would get another ipod. I love mine too much and we've had rios and sansas in the house.

My suggestion? Cry! :crying: Curse. :cursing: Bang your head on the wall. :banghead: Be angry.:mad: Very angry.:angry: Plug it in 20 different times, to 20 different computers and HOPE against all odds it works. Cry some more when it doesn't.:crying: Then go out and buy a new one, because you've been wanting the touch anyway but couldn't justify the purchase when you had a perfectly good iPod. At least... that's what I did when my old iPod video died on me!!

Those are the "my iPod has died" stages of grief. :D

ROFL!! I think I have already made it thru the first 4 stages of grief. May have to start crying to see helps. :)

Are you totally sure it's dead? My mom was sure her ipod was dead the other day, I had to help her reset it (over the PHONE, being overseas tech support to your parents stinks!).

If it were me, I would get another ipod. I love mine too much and we've had rios and sansas in the house.

Oh, can you be my tech support, too?!!! (just what you wanted, right) - I've gone thru apple help. I've tried to reset it a hundred times. I've tried to charge it on three diff. computers and using my car charger. No dice. It just gives me an error screen telling me to visit apple help and then goes back to very low battery. I've searched those errors on line but still haven't found a lifesaver for my poor little ipod. If you have any other tricks or ideas, I would love to try them.

I found it in the charger section of a local Futureshop (a Bestbuy competitor up here). It has a retractable USB cord that plugs into the fuze and the standard USB end plugs into a piece that plugs into both a wall outlet and a car outlet.

This is something similar although mine came with a Fuze-specific plug. I think you could probably just get any universal charger like that with a USB port and be fine.

Thanks!