Menu

Is LOST appropriate for children?

We are running out of interesting shows to watch on the TV. We've seen almost all of the NCIS, The new season Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary won't start for a few more weeks. We are caught up on Dr. Who, and found out the hard way that dd can't watch Torchwood.

So I was thinking maybe we can start LOST with the Wii, but dh said it might not be appropriate. We don't mind a very small bit of violence or an even smaller bit of romance. If you watch LOST do you let your kids watch?

If your kids can handle the other shows you've listed, they will most likely be able to handle LOST. There is a bit of sweaty jungle kissing so you may want to preview any episode that revolves around the character Sawyer. But other than that, it was my favorite show for six years and I'm sad to see it go.

Hmmm...I probably wouldn't let my children watch it. Right now they are way too young, but I would probably wait until they were teens at least. One of the characters (Sawyer) likes to use curse words (especailly the B one). There's a lot of violence, a lot of people die, lots of intense moments, and even some hot and heavy kissing scenes, as well as a sex scene in the jungle.

I had a hard time watching some of it. It was very violent, gory, bodies lying around, drugs, sex and sexual innuendo. Always made you go Huh? Not something that would educate or exhort your childs heart in any way shape or form. At times it was very troubling. Children were kidnapped as well. Overall, a great show for some adults, not for children. It was, after all on after most kids would be in bed.

I wouldn't let my kids (almost 11 and under) watch it. Too scary, way too much violence (that they would think is REALLY cool) and a bit gory at times, language I don't want them hearing, and in a few episodes, sex scenes I really don't want them watching.

As much as I LOVED this show, it isn't something I think a 10-year-old would really love all that much, or really get how cool it is, or all the literary & philosophical references. I'd wait a few years.

No. It's not appropriate for children, and this is coming from someone with very liberal views. I let my 5 & 6 year-olds watch most of the Harry Potter movies, Goonies, and a couple of the Indiana Jones movies. I won't let them watch LOST until they are older -- maybe 12 or so.

If you are doing Netflix play it now I suggest you look for your old favorites as a kid (or your parent's favorites) We've enjoyed Dick Van Dyke and Leave it to Beaver. Looking forward to doing ones like Wonder Years, Mork and Mindy, Perfect Strangers, I Love Lucy...but those aren't on Play It Now yet I don't think. If you liked Dr. Who and were interested in LOST then I suggest The Lost Room (a complete mini series) or The 4400 (a USA series that got canceled) though I don't remember how appropriate/inappropriate those were. Not as bad as LOST I know. And they were VERY good.

There are a lot of Star Trek: TNG on wii, if your kids haven't seen those.

We've seen all of those. But I'll see if dh wants to watch some of the spin-offs like Voyager.

What about Leverage, one of our favorites?

Or Primeval?

Stargate SG1?

Young Riders?

all favorites here

:D

Dh watched SG1 like it was never going to be available to watch for 50 years about 2 years ago. It drove me mad.;)

I've never heard about leverage or Primeval I'll look into those. Thanks for the suggestions.