Menu

How long per day did your 7th grader spend on Apologia General?

siloam

How much time per day does you 7th grader spend on Apologia General?  

1. 1. How much time per day does you 7th grader spend on Apologia General?

• 30 mins or less
    • 30-45 mins
    • 45 mins -1 hour
    • 1-1.25 hours
    • 1.25 -1.5 hours
    • 1.5-1.75 hours
    • 1.75-2 hours
    • More than 2 hours

Just trying to figure out how I am going to make this work. I was looking at the SL schedule for it and it looks pretty heavy, at least for a child who already has a heavy math and LA schedule. Right now she spends roughly 30-45 mins a day including time on vocab and review. I was hoping to keep it close to that, or maybe just a littler more, but now I have my doubts.

Heather

Edited by siloam

We use the Donna Young schedule, except I have him outline his reading. Ds told me it only takes around 15 mnutes to read and outline. Add in study time and experiments, and our guess is a total of 30-45 minutes a day. :001_smile:

That pretty much describes us here too.

There is a learning curve with Apologia if your child has never read from a text before and had to learn the material for a test. I would say in the beginning, you need to set aside some time to teach note taking or some method for learning from the text, therefore, for the first week or two, you might need more time. The first module is the hardest, but after that, it's pretty easy going.

That pretty much describes us here too.

There is a learning curve with Apologia if your child has never read from a text before and had to learn the material for a test. I would say in the beginning, you need to set aside some time to teach note taking or some method for learning from the text, therefore, for the first week or two, you might need more time. The first module is the hardest, but after that, it's pretty easy going.

Actually we have been working on that for the last year with the God's Design texts and that was after trying Apologia General in 6th. Quite the eye opener, but glad we did it or we would be totally snowed now. :blink:

She has gotten to where she can pass the tests well, but to keep it manageable she usually either reads the text, does the questions or does an experiment. Thus looking at the SL schedule and seeing all three in one day looks like too much. But there is usually only one or two questions vs. 6 to 10 in GD. The reading isn't a problem, she can handle more reading. That just leaves the experiments. I haven't decided if I want her to try to do them as scheduled or give them their own day.

I also haven't made a decision on using the Live and Learn lapbooks, mostly because she is dysgraphic, so she would need to type the answers and paste them in. If we use them do we do them as we go or do we do them at the end of the chapter? I kinda like the idea of doing them as we go so she has them to study from, but then we are back to maybe needing an extra day a week just to work through the questions (on my own and study guide). That puts me up to basically two extra days a week. Then we only hs 4 days a week instead of the 5 on the schedule. Thus the 5th day + a day for experiments + a day for questions and we are almost out to half pace.

See why I start to get worried?

I mean I don't have grand plans for her, but I would like to see her get through physics. If it takes us 1.5 years to get through each level she will only get through Chemistry. Maybe not the end of the world given I never went farther than Chemistry. The teacher hated me, so I didn't have much choice. Short version: The teacher taught a year at local college where my Dad was going to school, Dad got said teacher, hated said teacher and gave teacher bad time (love my Dad but he can be difficult). Teacher came back to High School, got me in class, with unusual last name easily made the connection and as a transfer student I went from straight A 3/4 of the way though the class to F for the rest and ended the class with a low C. I figured I dare not push it by taking Physics. :D I was just hoping that my dd would be able to do more, but she is pretty maxed out right now. Not that I think her schedule is that heavy, but she has focus issues that means she wastes so much time during the day on miscellaneous stuff that she is often still finishing hs at 9:30PM, and often has to carry stuff over to the next day. She should be able to do more, but when the rubber hits the road, if I want to keep her attitude positive I need to keep science on the light side.

Sigh....

Heather

Just trying to figure out how I am going to make this work. I was looking at the SL schedule for it and it looks pretty heavy, at least for a child who already has a heavy math and LA schedule. Right now she spends roughly 30-45 mins a day including time on vocab and review. I was hoping to keep it close to that, or maybe just a littler more, but now I have my doubts.

Heather

Heather--for us it's 45 min. to an hour many days, though occasionally in the 30-45 minute range--but we don't do every experiment and only sometimes do lab reports etc... BTW, did you get the audio CD of the whole book being read out loud? It's only $15 I think--but you can get it free if the child who will use it has a LD & you can submit a dr's letter.

Merry :-)

Heather, my older son spent 45 min to an hour on General Science 4-5 times per week, using SL's schedule. I had the older edition. He would read, answer the On Your Own orally with me, and then do the experiment. When that was done he would answer the handful of study guide questions that went with that section. We would review the study guide questions daily and test at the end of the unit. He would do an occasional lab write-up about once a month. I played with several ways to do the materials for General and Physical Science and this worked well for him.

Edited by swimmermom3
typo

I mean I don't have grand plans for her, but I would like to see her get through physics. If it takes us 1.5 years to get through each level she will only get through Chemistry. Maybe not the end of the world given I never went farther than Chemistry. The teacher hated me, so I didn't have much choice. Short version: The teacher taught a year at local college where my Dad was going to school, Dad got said teacher, hated said teacher and gave teacher bad time (love my Dad but he can be difficult). Teacher came back to High School, got me in class, with unusual last name easily made the connection and as a transfer student I went from straight A 3/4 of the way though the class to F for the rest and ended the class with a low C. I figured I dare not push it by taking Physics. :D I was just hoping that my dd would be able to do more, but she is pretty maxed out right now. Not that I think her schedule is that heavy, but she has focus issues that means she wastes so much time during the day on miscellaneous stuff that she is often still finishing hs at 9:30PM, and often has to carry stuff over to the next day. She should be able to do more, but when the rubber hits the road, if I want to keep her attitude positive I need to keep science on the light side.

Sigh....

Heather

Heather,

Having used this text for 2, I'd encourage something more hands on. I plan on changing from GS to more WTM/CM (kits, living books, ency.). I really felt like my 2 boys, who loved science, hated this book b/c they found it too textbook, too soon. It was an easy read for my reader, just wasn't exciting. For mine who struggled with reading, he really hated it. I really feel like it was a mistake to come to this format so soon. It's not a reflection of Apologia materials, as I'm using the Biology next year, just a thought I'd share and encourage you to consider keeping more hands on in science for middle school.

We're doing General with 7th grade son - 3rd time going through it, oldest did 45-60 min a day - he's an engineering major now, second son struggled more with the reading of a text format and we did the Knowledge Box Central lapbook with it to help reinforce the reading. This time, we're doing it 1/2 paced, first 1/2 of the book this year with mom and the lap books and some living books thrown in to supplement, 2 days a week, history on the other 3 days - his choice on this one this year. Then next year we'll finish up the General coarse hopefully with him more on his own, leaving Physical for 9th, Biology 10th, Chemistry 11th and Physics for 12th, or an elective or junior college if science isn't his bent. I've worked with Donna Young's schedule and her vocabulary bookmarks and have like the pace it was layed out as. JMTC Emily in IL

Heather,

Having used this text for 2, I'd encourage something more hands on. I plan on changing from GS to more WTM/CM (kits, living books, ency.). I really felt like my 2 boys, who loved science, hated this book b/c they found it too textbook, too soon. It was an easy read for my reader, just wasn't exciting. For mine who struggled with reading, he really hated it. I really feel like it was a mistake to come to this format so soon. It's not a reflection of Apologia materials, as I'm using the Biology next year, just a thought I'd share and encourage you to consider keeping more hands on in science for middle school.

I didn't answer the poll since we didn't use General; my 7th grader did Physical Science. I wanted to chime in and give another perspective here. I think the effectiveness of Apologia's style depends on your student's learning style. For my DS the textbookyness of Apologia was great; for him it was an easy read. The labs and extra activities were more than enough to add in 'fun' and excitement. My DS wants to learn what he needs to learn and then apply it to a variety of situations and that is what Apologia does for him. Our experience with Physical Science was totally hands on - we did experiments and activities for every Module. I can't tell you how many trips we took so DS could identify cloud formations and find weather patterns.:001_smile: We made volcanoes and the tectonic plates and had a blast creating havoc for our miniature world.

We are also moving on to Apologia Biology next year. With the lab kits and information available I am looking forward to going wherever DS's itnerests take us.

I was considering using Apologia General on up, down the road, until I read the comments by Carrie on this:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?p=18435#p18435

This thread (here on WTM) seems to give quite a different perspective. Any thoughts on the above linked post, from those who have used Apologia?

:bigear:

WOW! I personally have never seen anybody take 2 hours to do Apologia science.:confused: So far clearly that is also not supported by this poll yet either. My dd is so excited to start it she wants to start it this summe because she is a VERY science oriented kid. I guess if you look on any publishers site they will make their own sounds liket the best golden curriculum. I guess in my opinion it all boils down to your kid. Their learning personality and how they do in that particular subject (in this case, science) Now, as I would not expect HOD to recommend Apologia- I think they went a bit far in their assumptions! (Disclaimer-- this is just my OPINION :D)

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

I was considering using Apologia General on up, down the road, until I read the comments by Carrie on this:

This thread (here on WTM) seems to give quite a different perspective. Any thoughts on the above linked post, from those who have used Apologia?

I could have written parts of that post! It's just how I felt after taking 2 boys who loved science and seeing the non-reader then hate science. The reader found Apologia easy to use, but boring and without enough experimentation. I felt somewhat misled that everything I needed would be there. In my failings as a teacher, I allowed too much independence b/c of this belief. WHile my children learned a lot and got a nice gen. sci. review before heading into high school, I too think there are better ways to keep science exciting and alive. Just our experience :) So, of course, I continue to agree with the end of the post....you do the driving for your school! And now, :auto: b/c I am planning a physical science program for all ages so I don't have to use Apologia Physical Science (which does look better than the gen sci, I admit!).

There were some, not too many days, that did take 2 hours b/c of the lab write ups. I expect big time notebooks though, so I'm sure they were making things elaborate and very deeply stated in order to receive high marks on their lab books. Again, this was rare and of course, took longer b/c of my son's slow reading.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Mine are fast readers and like science so it they would read the material in about a half hour. The labs went fast as well. The Apologia General science text was IMO not very challenging. I'm hoping the next one we do is more meaty.

My first thought is that I can't imagine it taking 1.5-2 hours. But that may be in part because of how I structure our homeschool.

First, I told my son to spend 45 minutes to an hour on it, no more, and that if for some reason he couldn't do the section that day, to finish it the next. If that had happened regularly (it didn't), I would have taken a closer look at why. My son used the audio book and followed along looking at the diagrams. He answered the "On your own" questions in writing, but usually only wrote a few words or a sentence at most. He did 1-2 experiments in most modules but some modules we didn't do the experiments if none of them inspired him. I had him do 4-5 lab reports, so not one for every module--and when I did have him do a lab report, that doubled as his writing for that day. But I'm one who believes in allowing writing in other subjects count for part or all of our LA for that day.

I would have done more lab reports, but we took about 10 weeks off of Apologia to work on a science fair project and I didn't assign more lab reports after that--I'll start up again in the fall (because of the time off, we didn't finish the book, so we'll do that this fall & then start Physical whenever we finish. Physical can even be 9th grade science, and depending on how things go I may count it for that since we may end up doing a lot of it that year). I just wanted it to be an intro to lab reports, not the be-all, end-all. Same with the experiments.

So...maybe without the alterations that made it a fun and enjoyable year for us, and that made it a doable workload, one could spend 1.5-2 hours on some days--I don't think we changed it so much that it would be that way every day though, but maybe I'm wrong!

My son loved the writing style of Apologia General, and enjoyed that he was told both sides of debated topics, the evidence and problems for varying viewpoints etc...

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Heather, have you looked at the Donna Young Schedule? You might like it better than SL's. Also...imnsho, you don't have to do all of the experiments in General. Pick and choose the ones she'd like (often I let my son choose). Merry :-)

No I haven't, thanks for the reminder. :D

Heather

Heather,

You know I will have to consider that possibility. I just looked up the WTM guidelines and they do seem more in line with what I would like to see for High School. I do want her to do some source reading. The recommended texts leave a lot to be desired, admittedly.

Of all my kids this one is the least hands on. She does do better with hands on but fights it with her. Guess how often that happens. :001_huh: She also tends to not like Usborne/Kingfisher texts any better.

Right now what is working is having her read the GD texts out loud to herself (she is also an auditory learner), then having her do the questions the next day and define vocab. On the third day she will do an experiment or a worksheet and self correct her questions with the answer key. Then on to the next chapter. At the same times she spends 15 mins in study time per day, re-reading at least one chapter, vocab and question set and then spending the remaining time writing herself a Pokemon story where she is creating Pokemon who have the abilities she is studying about in her text (Physics). She actually wasn't doing well on tests, because she is a big picture thinker till we added the last piece (writing) and slowed down the pace from doing a whole chapter in one day, to doing it over 3 days.

I went with the Apologia texts because of the self study aspect (I have a lot of other irons in the fire) and because of the availability of the audio version. Now I am really thinking twice.

The WTM guidelines do seem more doable and play to her strong point, writing. I am all out of whack with the recommended sequence.

I can tell this isn't going to be a short, easy decision.

Heather

Heather,

Tina,

Well I talked to dh about the WTM recommendations vs. Apologia General (which I already own so he could look at it) and hands down he preferred the WTM recommendations for both Jr. High and High School. You never know when your path will make a sudden right turn. :D

Not what I was expecting, but I have a lot more peace about our plans now. Thanks!

Heather

Tina,

Well I talked to dh about the WTM recommendations vs. Apologia General (which I already own so he could look at it) and hands down he preferred the WTM recommendations for both Jr. High and High School. You never know when your path will make a sudden right turn. :D

Not what I was expecting, but I have a lot more peace about our plans now. Thanks!

Heather

Lol! Funny how that works out :) I'm in the trenches with hands on planning right now so it's easy to grab and go....a job for sure, but so worth it. I am hoping the dc to follow will enjoy it a bit more than the boys did GS.

Fingers crossed for my high school biology plans..hoping the boys will learn and enjoy!

You know I will have to consider that possibility. I just looked up the WTM guidelines and they do seem more in line with what I would like to see for High School. I do want her to do some source reading. The recommended texts leave a lot to be desired, admittedly.

Of all my kids this one is the least hands on. She does do better with hands on but fights it with her. Guess how often that happens. :001_huh: She also tends to not like Usborne/Kingfisher texts any better.

Right now what is working is having her read the GD texts out loud to herself (she is also an auditory learner), then having her do the questions the next day and define vocab. On the third day she will do an experiment or a worksheet and self correct her questions with the answer key. Then on to the next chapter. At the same times she spends 15 mins in study time per day, re-reading at least one chapter, vocab and question set and then spending the remaining time writing herself a Pokemon story where she is creating Pokemon who have the abilities she is studying about in her text (Physics). She actually wasn't doing well on tests, because she is a big picture thinker till we added the last piece (writing) and slowed down the pace from doing a whole chapter in one day, to doing it over 3 days.

I went with the Apologia texts because of the self study aspect (I have a lot of other irons in the fire) and because of the availability of the audio version. Now I am really thinking twice.

The WTM guidelines do seem more doable and play to her strong point, writing. I am all out of whack with the recommended sequence.

I can tell this isn't going to be a short, easy decision.

Heather

Your Pokeman idea is brilliant! Very.Nicely.Done, Mom!

Fingers crossed for my high school biology plans..hoping the boys will learn and enjoy!

With all of the exceptional planning you have done I don't see how they could anything but learn and enjoy. After reading through your schedule I want to come to your house and study Biology. Your intro. letter made me cry (twice). I have been composing a letter to give to my DD who is a rising senior in public school. My attempts thus far fall short of the sentiments in the letter to your boys.

Heather, my older son spent 45 min to an hour on General Science 4-5 times per week, using SL's schedule. I had the older edition. He would read, answer the On Your Own orally with me, and then do the experiment. When that was done he would answer the handful of study guide questions that went with that section. We would review the study guide questions daily and test at the end of the unit. He would do an occasional lab write-up about once a month. I played with several ways to do the materials for General and Physical Science and this worked well for him.

It didn't occur to me to have my son answer the study guide questions as he went through the module! That is an excellent way to do it because he can study/review them as he works through the module instead of doing it all in one day as I have been having him do it. Why didn't I think of this? He loved the text/information but disliked having to do the study guide in one session then the summary the next day. Now I know how we'll do Physical Science in the fall.

Thanks for sharing...my son will be thrilled!

Pam

Edited by jpklehm

I didn't answer the poll since we didn't use General; my 7th grader did Physical Science. I wanted to chime in and give another perspective here. I think the effectiveness of Apologia's style depends on your student's learning style. For my DS the textbookyness of Apologia was great; for him it was an easy read. The labs and extra activities were more than enough to add in 'fun' and excitement. My DS wants to learn what he needs to learn and then apply it to a variety of situations and that is what Apologia does for him. Our experience with Physical Science was totally hands on - we did experiments and activities for every Module. I can't tell you how many trips we took so DS could identify cloud formations and find weather patterns.:001_smile: We made volcanoes and the tectonic plates and had a blast creating havoc for our miniature world.

We are also moving on to Apologia Biology next year. With the lab kits and information available I am looking forward to going wherever DS's itnerests take us.

Yes, our 6th grade ds did GS this year and loved it. He spent probably 45 mins to an hour each day, but this was a labor of love for him. He enjoyed the "textbook style" of it. I looked at it carefully before we purchased it so I knew what we were getting into. As I mentioned above, we will be doing Physical Science in 7th grade this fall, and from this post above, the topics sound fantastic!

Pam

With all of the exceptional planning you have done I don't see how they could anything but learn and enjoy. After reading through your schedule I want to come to your house and study Biology. Your intro. letter made me cry (twice). I have been composing a letter to give to my DD who is a rising senior in public school. My attempts thus far fall short of the sentiments in the letter to your boys.

Aw. Thank you so much. I'm really hoping for a wonderful study. My time with them is so short...sniff.

Just give DD your heart. It will come.