Menu

8th grade, one year world history

mims

I'm asking for a friend. Her son is not a real strong reader. She has done a lot of unit studies etc over the years so he knows a lot of world history but she would like one last year of world history to tie it all together. She likes the idea of literature based but since he is not a strong reader something like Sonlight will probably not work. I know she would prefer Christian.

I can usually think of something that would work but I'm stumped on this one. Any thoughts?

What about looking for a DVD-based program instead of books? There are so many great videos and/or programs on the History channel. She could go the more academic lecture-based route or just use great programs from PBS and Nova in chronological order. Then her son could pick a topic every month or every other month to investigate through a book chosen from the library or another source, and do narration or a report or whatever kind of writing they are working on, using that reading.

PBS and NOVA shows are usually easy to find for free at libraries; but if money is not an issue, she could also look at the DVDs available through http://www.socialstudies.com

Edited by Guest

How about Heart of Dakota Preparing Hearts for His Glory? There are less books than Sonlight. It is for 4th-5th grade, so the reading level shouldn't be too high, but there are extensions to beef up the grade level if wanted, and it has science tied in.

Beefing up HOD http://www.heartofdakota.com/preparing-hearts.php Preparing Hearts-packages

Sonlight - Alt 7 Core It is what I would do. Even with a poorer reader. I'd just get as many on Audible and read-aloud some of the readers. Pick a handful of easier readers and spread them over a longer period of time for the studen. Learning to love the stories/reading inspires many kids to want to read more. Least it did with my daughter.

FTR, on of the spines is CHOW which is a 4th grade reading level. :)

Edited by krisperry

Sorry! I was talking about Epi Kardia. I am interested in it but would love to know more. Thanks!
Oh, okay. I don't know either. Though it is intriguing, as I do like one year World History courses, I looked at the link and couldn't find much that was helpful. Hopefully someone will know more!

Sonlight - Alt 7 Core It is what I would do. Even with a poorer reader. I'd just get as many on Audible and read-aloud some of the readers. Pick a handful of easier readers and spread them over a longer period of time for the studen. Learning to love the stories/reading inspires many kids to want to read more. Least it did with my daughter.

FTR, on of the spines is CHOW which is a 4th grade reading level. :)

This is the first thing that I thought of. CHOW does an excellent job of pulling eveything together and she can always supplement with books on a higher reading level if she wants.

Sorry! I was talking about Epi Kardia. I am interested in it but would love to know more. Thanks!

Sorry I didn't see this sooner!

I couldn't find many reviews on it either. I asked here but got very few responses. There is a review at www.thecurriculumchoice.com . The authors are pretty good about answering questions via email. The curriculum covers creation through modern every year. It focuses on a different aspect of each time period every year. You also have a choice of getting fully scheduled lesson plans for each year or a guide that covers about 3 years (much less expensive). I've never used Sonlight but the reading does appear to be less. I'd like to hear more about it myself from those who've used it:)!