Menu

Calling all Military Wives....

So my dh says to me today... "Did you hear they raised the enlistment age for the army to 42?" He is 41 yo. And he is giving me that look. It's one of the things he always wanted to do but when he was fresh out of high school his parents discouraged him from doing it. Then life happened. And now...

My initial reaction was :svengo:

Don't get me wrong, if he wants to follow his dream I will support him but I know ZILCH about being a military wife and this whole idea freaks me out a bit. I assume we would have to go back to the states for this. Where would he go after basic training? Would I be able to work wherever we end up (Assuming we all go somewhere together?)? If not, can you live on one military salary?

This whole thing has my head spinning. Not sure how serious he is or if this is just a mid-life crisis. But he has 4 months to make up his mind. Yikes.

So my dh says to me today... "Did you hear they raised the enlistment age for the army to 42?" He is 41 yo. And he is giving me that look. It's one of the things he always wanted to do but when he was fresh out of high school his parents discouraged him from doing it. Then life happened. And now...

My initial reaction was :svengo:

Don't get me wrong, if he wants to follow his dream I will support him but I know ZILCH about being a military wife and this whole idea freaks me out a bit. I assume we would have to go back to the states for this. Where would he go after basic training? Would I be able to work wherever we end up (Assuming we all go somewhere together?)? If not, can you live on one military salary?

Does he have a college education? What does he do for a job now? Forty-one is pretty old to *enlist.* If you're a lawyer, a chaplain, or a medical professional, then you can get a direct commissioning and enter as an officer. He would not be able to attend Officer Candidate School if he's over 41, so that's sort of out. If he has a desirable language, that could be a bonus.

Pay is dependent on rank and years served.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

An E-1 attending basic training makes $1,477/month base pay. They also receive BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) of $324/month. They receive a Basic Allowance for Housing that varies, depending on location (and whether or not you have dependents) here in Hawaii it would be $2,000/month for an E-1, at Ft Bragg is would be $1,065.

An O-1 with less than 2 years in makes $2,745/month base pay, $223 BAS, $2133 in Hawaii for an O-1, $1143 in NC for an O-1.

There are various other pays, allowances and incentives, but those are the basics.

You could definitely work, but it can be tough moving your job every few years.

Where would he go after basic training? He would go on to Advanced Individual Training. After that? It could be anywhere. We've been stationed in Southern California (in the desert), in Virginia, in North Carolina, two different places in Germany and here, in Hawaii.

Does he have a college education? What does he do for a job now? Forty-one is pretty old to *enlist.* If you're a lawyer, a chaplain, or a medical professional, then you can get a direct commissioning and enter as an officer. He would not be able to attend Officer Candidate School if he's over 41, so that's sort of out. If he has a desirable language, that could be a bonus.

Pay is dependent on rank and years served.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

An E-1 attending basic training makes $1,477/month base pay. They also receive BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence) of $324/month. They receive a Basic Allowance for Housing that varies, depending on location (and whether or not you have dependents) here in Hawaii it would be $2,000/month for an E-1, at Ft Bragg is would be $1,065.

An O-1 with less than 2 years in makes $2,745/month base pay, $223 BAS, $2133 in Hawaii for an O-1, $1143 in NC for an O-1.

There are various other pays, allowances and incentives, but those are the basics.

You could definitely work, but it can be tough moving your job every few years.

Where would he go after basic training? He would go on to Advanced Individual Training. After that? It could be anywhere. We've been stationed in Southern California (in the desert), in Virginia, in North Carolina, two different places in Germany and here, in Hawaii.

What branch is he considering? Ummmm, trying to be diplomatic...I'm not sure that his experience would be everything he wants it to be. We love military life (I have wanderlust as well ;)) and dh loves his job. But there is NO WAY I would want to start at the bottom at this point! You could certainly work (especially in education!)wherever you were stationed. If he does end up being serious about this :) and you have any specific questions you can pm me. My husband worked in recruiting at one point and can give you specifics.

What branch is he considering?

I agree' date=' and branch means two things. I think Army is the only service that would accept him at this point, he's too old to enlist in any of the other services. When Robin's Song is asking "what branch," I think she is asking "what job does he want to do?" Logistics, armor, infantry, chemical, psyops, etc?

Ummmm, trying to be diplomatic...I'm not sure that his experience would be everything he wants it to be. We love military life (I have wanderlust as well ;)) and dh loves his job. But there is NO WAY I would want to start at the bottom at this point!

Agreed.:)

This whole thing has my head spinning. Not sure how serious he is or if this is just a mid-life crisis. But he has 4 months to make up his mind. Yikes.

You're so good to be seriously entertaining this. If it were my husband doing this after age 40 I'd be telling him to go buy himself a new power tool. :D

I agree, and branch means two things. I think Army is the only service that would accept him at this point, he's too old to enlist in any of the other services. When Robin's Song is asking "what branch," I think she is asking "what job does he want to do?" Logistics, armor, infantry, chemical, psyops, etc?

Agreed.:)

No, I just didn't realize it was only the army that raised the enlistment age :blushing:. I know at least two other branches have more applicants than they can handle and are actually more choosy (in practice)than they were even a few years ago--so it makes sense if I would have stopped to think about it :).

OH Man, total deja vu.

My sister joined the Army last year a month before the 42 cutoff.

She's an Army Nurse. She'll finish her officer's training in August and get her orders (which she now realizes will be not in the USA). Most likely she's headed to Afghanistan.

She has 3 daughters, 16, 14, and 9.

IMO the Army is totally preying on mid-life crisis folks.

No' date=' I just didn't realize it was only the army that raised the enlistment age :blushing:. I know at least two other branches have more applicants than they can handle and are actually more choosy (in practice)than they were even a few years ago--so it makes sense if I would have stopped to think about it :).[/quote']

I just wrote this on the other thread: the Army isn't hurting for recruits (they are turning people away as well) - they raised the age so that they could accommodate certain people that they otherwise could not accept. Like that nurse up above.

a

Wow, you might be right. I am being very casual about the whole thing. I mean, he followed me to Malaysia and so I sort of owe him one. :D But gosh, I really hope this passes. It would not be my first choice at our age.

My sister still denies the whole mid-life crisis thingy. :D

And before she signed she swore up and down that she wouldn't be sent overseas at her age either and our concerns were totally unfounded.

Now she's talking more realistically about deployment and thankfully preparing her kids to have a skype-relationshiop with her while she's gone.

She won't admit that she was wrong, and but she's not denying that she's probably going soon.

My DH was a Marine for 20 years. It was a good experience, overall. He was an officer, though, and a Jag for about half of that time. I'm really glad we had those years.

However, I think it would be hard to enlist at 41. The pay is probably much less than you are used to. He would have to be okay with being the "low guy" on the totem pole to 22 year old guys (and gals) with a fraction of his life experience. And with my luck, we would end up in Lawton Oklahoma or some other h@ll hole. Just kidding, Lawton folks. I've never been there - I am sure it's lovely. My point is, you often have no choices and no control. You think, "Hmmm, maybe Italy. Maybe Germany. Maybe XYZ" and you get orders somewhere that might make you want to cry, and it's just too bad. If you are okay with not having control, that won't seem as hard. If you have a real sense of purpose and mission, it's easier to accept the costs. I was pretty easy going in my youth about these things, but I think that in middle age with teenagers, it would be harder for me.

Anyway, life has interesting paths for many people, and maybe this would be a great path for you. But before I even addressed how hard I would find it as a middle aged woman to live where I am told, not have many "out" options, and quite likely have my husband leave for months at a time, I would want to address with him whether those are things that HE would even like.

Does he have a college degree at all? If so and he enlists (meaning not an officer) he would go in as an E4, which isn't great, but a WHOLE lot better than an E1 ($1889/month v $1447/mo). You also have to remember that he will get health care for himself and the entire family (yay!) and BAH (housing allowance) based on where you're stationed if you don't live on post, BAS (food allowance) which for enlisted is $323/month (this is only paid to the soldier, not per family member). BAS and BAH are NOT taxable. If you live overseas, you'll get COLA (cost of living allowance), based on where you are stationed and rank and is also not taxable. If he speaks any foreign languages fluently (or enough to pass the test), he can also get and extra $50/month per language. We have a friend who is fluent in 4 languages and banks an extra $200/month because of that. The benefits can be great (especially in this economy), but it's a different life.

My dad was in the navy when I was growing up so I was used to the military life. When dh decided to join the army (a year after we were married), I was thrilled because civilian life was weird! :) It can be really hard sometimes, but the military has been really good to us. Dh has been in 14 years now and came in as an E3 (he's had 3 years of college) and in 11 years made his way to E7 (E9 is the highest you can go) before getting picked up for warrant officer. He's now a W2 and makes decent money. We do just fine on his salary alone. It was harder when he was lower rank (but mostly because I have expensive tastes<-that's right, I own it), but a lot of people do it with no problems.

Best of luck to you both.

My point is, you often have no choices and no control. You think, "Hmmm, maybe Italy. Maybe Germany. Maybe XYZ" and you get orders somewhere that might make you want to cry, and it's just too bad.

I did cry the day we arrived at Ft. Irwin in the Mojave Desert. I was a 22 yr old new bride and was certain I'd made a horrible, horrible mistake agreeing to follow DH when he did his service obligation. Everybody had told me I was crazy for marrying him and on that day, I agreed with the critics.

But I survived, and that which didn't kill me only made me stronger. :D

[

I did cry the day we arrived at Ft. Irwin in the Mojave Desert. I was a 22 yr old new bride and was certain I'd made a horrible, horrible mistake agreeing to follow DH when he did his service obligation. Everybody had told me I was crazy for marrying him and on that day, I agreed with the critics.

But I survived, and that which didn't kill me only made me stronger. :D

Ha! Ft. Irwin was our first duty station too!!! We were there from spring of 1994 until spring of 1996. It honestly makes for a *great* first duty station because nothing else seems so bad after that. :lol:

Ft. Irwin was our first duty station too!!! We were there from spring of 1994 until spring of 1996. It honestly makes for a *great* first duty station because nothing else seems so bad after that. :lol:

I left NTC 7 years ago this month and STILL have occasional nightmares in which my DH tells me that he's taken a job there and we're all moving to Barstow. :lol:

I left NTC 7 years ago this month and STILL have occasional nightmares in which my DH tells me that he's taken a job there and we're all moving to Barstow. :lol:

My hubby talks about going back to Ft. Irwin now and then. I just say "well, they had great housing."

Somehow, I don't think Heather would mind this. :D

Moving because you have a great opportunity in a new job and moving and *then* you have to *find* a job are two different things. :)

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My dh just went back in at 45 last fall. He's prior service Navy (16 years ago) and is an Army Capt. now in the Reserves. He's currently activated and will deploy to Iraq next month. We knew this would probably happen when he went back in. Even w/being an O3 w/10+ years and haz. duty pay, he took a 50% pay cut to deploy. Everyone thinks he's nuts. But me. I was prior service and grew up in the military. It gets in your blood, and I completely understand his patriotic bent and am willing to handle the 1 year deployment and salary drop (our living expenses will be a lot lower).

It is a life-changing event. And it takes a while to get paperwork going, so you might not have the amt of time you think you do.

Laura

Wow, you might be right. I am being very casual about the whole thing. I mean, he followed me to Malaysia and so I sort of owe him one. :D But gosh, I really hope this passes. It would not be my first choice at our age.

Do you really "owe" him? Is that really how it works for you? It seems so out line with all the missionary work that you've been doing. Quite possibly I haven't a clue as to the actual nature of your missionary work, though. Nevertheless, maybe you should ask yourselves if, all things considered, this is one of those situations of doing a "hard thing" or doing a "stupid thing."

Jobs may be hard to find, it depends on your field and the area. I have known teachers and nurses who couldn't find jobs. The lack of control of your own life may be an adjustment. Not just when and where, but the little things. You can either brush them off or they'll start to wear on you or your dh. Outlook and attitude are everything. I've been a spouse almost 8 years and I'm still working on those.:)

Ok so maybe I need to talk him into buying a better motorcycle instead? :D

I bought DH a motorcycle for his 40th birthday.

Whenever anyone asks, I tell them it was cheaper than a 20 year old blonde...

:lol::lol::lol:

a

I thought you had to stay in Malaysia for a few years to adopt your daughter?

Maybe I am remembering wrong?

The Malaysian end of it will be done on July 9. Then we can apply for a Malaysian passport which will allow her to travel. In order to get her U.S. citizenship it will take filing all the paperwork and waiting a few months but we should be done by Christmas.

At any rate, I am still trying to talk him into a motorcycle instead. :D

Moving because you have a great opportunity in a new job and moving and *then* you have to *find* a job are two different things. :)

My comment was meant to be a joke to Heather (thus the :D face), who embarked on her first international adventure a little over a year ago, and who recently posted about being restless! I wasn't trying to argue with your comment.

DH is commissioned but he went back to Active Duty at age 43. It has been quite a readjustment for the family. For us, it was more of a lateral move. There wasn't a pay loss and he was already working a lot of hours. However, if he had wanted to start over at the bottom, it would have been very hard for me to be supportive.

Honestly there is no way I would want my husband to do that...not at that age...just think of the PT tests and more importantly the deployments... and not as a lower enlisted soldier. My husband is an officer in the Air Force and there is a WORLD of difference between an E-1 Army life and an 0-1 (or above) Air Force life...for the entire family. Hubby's going to be 40yrs old in a few months and honestly, in the military, that is a much better time to be closer to retirement than to just starting out. Maybe he could consider the Guard or Reserves though?