Menu

Question about Sea Salt

I have heard its better for you than regular salt, then I have heard that only unrefined sea salt is better for you, then I have read that its no different. I go to different websites to find different things

So, my question, does anybody know if sea salt is actually better for you? If so, what about it is better?:confused:

In theory, it can help you lower your sodium intake because its flavor is stronger, so you use less overall. I don't know anything about the refined/unrefined issue though. I tend to think that refining anything makes it less healthful by removing natural qualities (in this case, maybe trace elements/minerals?), but I couldn't prove that personally.

I read this book, it was really interesting. It's actually one of my yardsticks for determining how big of a history nerd someone is. ;)

That looks really interesting.

I have the elementary version, 1965, "About Salt." It's pretty interesting and the pictures are fun. I'm not sure it's worth $6, though. I paid 25 cents if I recall correctly.

http://www.amazon.com/About-salt-Dorothy-W-Telfer/dp/B0006BN2R6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276591374&sr=1-3

The thing with refined salt is that it is refined, and stripped of all its associated minerals, many of which we may not even understand yet.

Its a bit like the difference between eating a vitamin, and a vegetable. We isolate factors and make a huge hoo ha about them, and then sell them...when we should be eating more vegetables.

Sea salt- particularly himalayan and celtic sea salt, are full of extra minerals. 84 minerals in sea salt- 2 in refined table salt. If there is one thing lacking in modern diets, it is minerals- more so than vitamins.

You will always find conflicting information about such things. For me, it is just common sense to consume a product that is unrefined compared to a product that is refined. Why take something away? Celtic salt tastes great.

The thing with refined salt is that it is refined, and stripped of all its associated minerals, many of which we may not even understand yet.

Its a bit like the difference between eating a vitamin, and a vegetable. We isolate factors and make a huge hoo ha about them, and then sell them...when we should be eating more vegetables.

Sea salt- particularly himalayan and celtic sea salt, are full of extra minerals. 84 minerals in sea salt- 2 in refined table salt. If there is one thing lacking in modern diets, it is minerals- more so than vitamins.

You will always find conflicting information about such things. For me, it is just common sense to consume a product that is unrefined compared to a product that is refined. Why take something away? Celtic salt tastes great.

:iagree:

We use the celtic sea salt here and we love it.