Menu

How much do you tip your hair stylist?

I admit it, I go the cheap cheap route when getting my hair cut. $16. Last time I tipped her $10, which seemed too high for a $16 hair cut. Today, I tipped her $5, which is still over 20%, but seemed too low. What do you think? Go somewhere in the middle, like $8?

For a $16.00 haircut, I think $5.00 is quite generous! At holiday time (Christmas, Hanukkah), I'd tip $20.00.

I'd love to live where you live. My cuts are $50.00 and I tip $10.00.

I also use a cheap salon....a national chain actually....the wash and cut is around $15 and change and I always give her a $20 and walk away. I think the "general" amount is the same as you tip at a restaurant, around 20%, so really it should $18 for me, but it just somehow seems rude to hand her a $20 bill and ask for $2 back. She does a great job and puts up with my constantly cancelling appointments the day before, lol, so I figure she's worth it. I've followed her through 3 different companies as hairdressers around here have to move on to really get any raises. But someone who knows MY hair and how to cut not butcher it is worth it.

Just decided to do a quick look online, and wow does it vary.....some places say 10-15%, others say 20-25%.

I guess you can also judge by her reaction....since you cut her tip in half this time did she look disappointed, surprised, or totally nonplussed by it all, lol.

When I do go to the salon, which isn't nearly as often as it once was, I tip 20%.

It's a nicer salon, and fairly expensive. But the reason I go there is that the woman that does my hair does a wonderful job. I've had some bad hair cuts (due to the stylist) and this woman is wonderful. She's the only person I trust with my hair.

At Hair Cuttery (where the girls go) I tip $5. per haircut - the stylist usually does both girls.

DS has begun going to the Barber Shop (his choice - he likes it) - the cut is $16. and we tip $5.

My hair cuts are $85. - I have been going to the same person at Red Door Salon & Spa for 8 years (since we moved here) - I tip her $25.00 -- She is fabulous and is consistently named one of the top stylists in the DC area if not the top stylist.

My color costs $180. -- I tip the colorist $40.00