Menu

Going through my closet....wwyd....?

Okay, please help me clean my closet in prep for moving from casual Arizona to dressy Alexandria, VA. I'm going through my closet and seeing what "dressy" clothing still fits. This is stuff I've been holding onto since my work days in a very conservative office setting. I used to buy very expensive, good quality classic clothing. But even I know that "classic" does age at some point.

Would you hold onto any of the following? (I don't have a clue what is "in style" anymore...I used to shop exclusively at Nordstrom. Now I shop at Hanna Andersson and REI :lol:):

• A shiny-silk button-front silk blouse from N-M in a pretty teal blue with a matching skinny neck scarf. It has never been worn. It is 7 years old. Is "shiny" even in?

• A two piece salt and pepper tweed suit with skinny black leather belt (the skirt doesn't fit perfectly, but if I lost 5 or 10 pounds, it would...this is a goal anyway). The silhouette isn't too far off from what I see on the Nordy website right now for fall. It is 9 years old but shows absolutely no wear.

• An Eileen Fisher lavender jacket with single button at the neck and elbow-length sleeves. This style is still made, but I hate lavender on me, and would have to buy an outfit to go with it (it was a gift). It has that "looks like a sack on me" vibe. It is really comfy but not flattering at all. DH hates it.

• A longish black wool gab. pencil skirt with slit up the back to the knee -- I used to wear this with black riding boots. Again, is this even "in"?

• A bright red double-breasted wool gab. jacket with 6 gold buttons - typical 1991 jacket worn over a knife-pleat skirt. I always felt like a Senate Page when I wore this. I'm sure it'll fit in in DC even still...but not sure what I'd wear with it...I'm not going to buy another knife pleat skirt EVER again! Not at .25 cents a pleat to iron at the cleaners (back in 1995)! Perhaps new buttons that didn't say "Ahoy Matey"...

• Little Black Dress that looks like this (kind of) but has two rhinestone broaches on each side of the neckline. It has a keyhole back. It is preeeeetttty tight, but again, if I lost weight, I could wear it. Does this ever get dated?

I'd post pix, but DH has camera with him house hunting in VA :) :) :)

I don't normally care *too* much about fashion, but I don't want to so out of date, either that it is obvious. I can't afford to reinvent my wardrobe, but I wouldn't mind a few new things, either.

Edited by BikeBookBread
one more item...

Oh, my goodness, you don't have to dress up to be a homeschool mom in Northern Virginia! Unless you're going to be working in an office, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm wearing Hannas right now (the cozy gray culottes). Most women wear cropped pants for summer. You want to dress somewhat conservatively (no plunging necklines or too-short shorts) with maybe a bit of jewelry, but other than that you shouldn't worry too much about it.

Oh, my goodness, you don't have to dress up to be a homeschool mom in Northern Virginia! Unless you're going to be working in an office, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm wearing Hannas right now (the cozy gray culottes). Most women wear cropped pants for summer. You want to dress somewhat conservatively (no plunging necklines or too-short shorts) with maybe a bit of jewelry, but other than that you shouldn't worry too much about it.

DH is military, and we may have to attend dressier occasions - if it were a military ball I WOULD BUY A NEW GOWN! but I'm thinking more about church, or (I certainly hope not), a funeral (my family is aging -- uncle and aunt are 85, parents are both 80...).

I'd ditch the 2 jackets (lavender, red) for sure.

Every time I've been in the DC area, black or navy blue seem to be the colors (the only colors, lol) that I notice on folks who are dressed for business (or dressier) occasions. So, I guess if you want to 'fit in' while dressed up there, I'd stick w/ really dark colors and maybe a muted accent color. Solids (vs. prints) also seem to be the norm, imo.

And, I think you'd still be able to get plenty of wear out of your Hanna Andersson & REI clothing. There are tons of great parks, trails, and public spaces for casual wear.

I'd keep the black skirt and black dress. Those never really go out of style. The rest I'd toss, especially where you don't even really like most of the items.

The shiny shirt you could wear opened up with a camisole or fancy tank top to make it more casual.

With everything, if you haven't worn it in a year - TOSS it. That's my rule of thumb. But sometimes I'll move stuff to my barn/paint/work clothes drawers.

I have no idea what to advise about your wardrobe but did you know there is a Nordstrom Rack at Potomac Mills Mall - just a few miles down 95 from Alexandria? Go in the morning when everyone else is driving north.:)

Oooh, thanks! Last time I went to The Rack (Spokane) I scored a pair of gorgeous black Ferragamo pumps that I DEFINITELY won't be giving away :)

Cindy in Cville will laugh if she reads this, but get a uniform. :)

Seriously, I have a few black tops (nicer t-shirts and a couple slightly dressier tops). Recently, brown has become my new black, so I have a few brown tops, too. If you don't have one, get a well-fitting bra. It makes a difference, I promise. If you have the money, add a white top and a cardigan.

Then get a few pair of khakis. Capris for summer, regular length for winter. I have a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts too, but these are not my uniform. ;)

A pair of nice black shoes, a pair of nice brown shoes. By nice I mean they look nice and are good quality- not high heels or anything. Probably one of each color for each season. A pair or three of nice socks for winter. If you don't have the money, drop the brown shoes and tops. Get a quality leather belt to match each pair of shoes.

This with some simple, classic earrings is all you need to look nice enough for any kind of daily thing, and won't break the bank. Get a classic black (or navy) dress and pumps. A ball you will have to go all out, obviously.

A decent haircut and some basic makeup and you will be just fine.

Now, eventually you will want a splash of color here and there, and you will find more interesting stuff to fill in your wardrobe, but this basic uniform will get you through times when you have nothing that fits (or nothing suitable) and not enough money to completely re-do a full wardrobe.

Cindy in Cville will laugh if she reads this, but get a uniform. :)

I've got the "uniform" down pat and I'm in full agreement - I live in neutrals :) I couldn't go any further with my hair (I'm on a 4 week hair therapy plan :lol: as it is cropped so short...)

I just have a hard time letting go of old clothes...

I'd keep the tweed suit, the black dress and the pencil skirt. I wouldn't keep anything you don't like (or isn't going to fit).

This.

DH is military, and we may have to attend dressier occasions - if it were a military ball I WOULD BUY A NEW GOWN! but I'm thinking more about church, or (I certainly hope not), a funeral (my family is aging -- uncle and aunt are 85, parents are both 80...).

You could pair the skirt and or suit with things for these events (church/funeral).

So you have a bunch of stuff that you don't like, doesn't fit, haven't worn for years, and have no real need of at the moment. Get rid of it. Treat yourself to something that fits, you feel good in, and you'll actually wear... and don't look back! Life is too short, and you deserve to look and feel good.

Good luck with your wardrobe update! My husband is AF and we've lived in AZ, Spokane and are now in Alexandria. I still dress the same... like all the other moms at our neighborhood preschool or at the mall or walking around downtown Alexandria. Except that I have five young kids out in the daytime and I am hugely pregnant! I assume that's why people look at me funny and not my wardrobe choices! But what if I'm wrong??? Welcome to the area and I hope you get some pretty clothes out of it! Maybe I'll bring up this topic with my own dh when I'm not limited to shopping at The Pea in the Pod!

• A shiny-silk button-front silk blouse from N-M in a pretty teal blue with a matching skinny neck scarf. It has never been worn. It is 7 years old. Is "shiny" even in?

I'd get rid of it :)

• A two piece salt and pepper tweed suit with skinny black leather belt (the skirt doesn't fit perfectly, but if I lost 5 or 10 pounds, it would...this is a goal anyway). The silhouette isn't too far off from what I see on the Nordy website right now for fall. It is 9 years old but shows absolutely no wear.

Again ditch it...if you are keeping things thinking you "could" or "might" lose weight then you might have it a looooooong time. I have done that and never worn things again.

• An Eileen Fisher lavender jacket with single button at the neck and elbow-length sleeves. This style is still made, but I hate lavender on me, and would have to buy an outfit to go with it (it was a gift). It has that "looks like a sack on me" vibe. It is really comfy but not flattering at all. DH hates it.

If you hate the color and dh doesn't like it either then why bother?

• A longish black wool gab. pencil skirt with slit up the back to the knee -- I used to wear this with black riding boots. Again, is this even "in"?

If it fits keep it....you can always get nice shoes and blouse to dress it up. There aren't many skirts that you can't wear nowadays. Well unless it is all pleated or some such thing...bleh

• A bright red double-breasted wool gab. jacket with 6 gold buttons - typical 1991 jacket worn over a knife-pleat skirt. I always felt like a Senate Page when I wore this. I'm sure it'll fit in in DC even still...but not sure what I'd wear with it...I'm not going to buy another knife pleat skirt EVER again! Not at .25 cents a pleat to iron at the cleaners (back in 1995)! Perhaps new buttons that didn't say "Ahoy Matey"...

OMG so throw it away...better yet...donate it to a museum!

• Little Black Dress that looks like this (kind of) but has two rhinestone broaches on each side of the neckline. It has a keyhole back. It is preeeeetttty tight, but again, if I lost weight, I could wear it. Does this ever get dated?

If it is anything like that picture it is a keeper, however if you have to lose weight to wear it...see previous comment :)

I would personally ditch it all and get new stuff. Start out with one outfit a month or something and make sure to get stuff to mix and match.

I don't go to church (I am Christian but hate church) but the couple times I have I go in whatever I have. When (and if) I have gone to church I don't go to impress anyone, I am going to seek the Lord and he wouldn't care if I wore sackcloth. :) Just my $.02!

Let the silk blouse go, keep the tweed suit, get rid of the lavender , keep the black skirt, let the jacket with the buttons go, keep the little black dress. Use those and combine them with a few new things to build your wardrobe.

Don't keep it if you don't love it.

Don't keep it if you won't wear it because it's too much work or money to clean.

Don't keep it if it doesn't fit (i.e., too big; a size down when you're losing weight is reasonable to me).