Menu

Which math after Singapore 6 (for a rising 7th grader)??

I know this is likely been discussed over and over and over again, but when I "search," I can't see to come up with anything.

Would love to hear your thoughts-- I'm leaning towards Jacobs for Algebra (I assume in 8th grade?), but what would I use in between?

Any guidance would be *lovely*!! Thanks so much!

I know this is likely been discussed over and over and over again, but when I "search," I can't see to come up with anything.

Would love to hear your thoughts-- I'm leaning towards Jacobs for Algebra (I assume in 8th grade?), but what would I use in between?

Any guidance would be *lovely*!! Thanks so much!

Have you thought about continuing with NEM 1 next year? It would probably give her a very solid foundation for a regular Algebra I program if that's what you want to do the following year. However, you might be able to just start with Jacob's now, too.

And if you are considering NEM, I have a full set available on the sale/swap board for less than half off the retail price including shipping. ;)

My middle dd finished Singapore 6B in April of 6th grade. She did aleks pre-algebra for a one-month trial in May (absolutely hated it). Then she worked through Math Smart Junior over the summer (liked that).

She did Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra I together during 7th grade. I didn't try to coordinate topics. She just did chapter 1 of KB then did chapter 1 of Jacobs, then did chapter of KB followed by chapter 2 of Jacobs. She liked having two different approaches. Most of the time, topics were covered in KB first and then in Jacobs.

At the end of 7th grade (actually think it was during the summer), she got to a point where Jacobs covered exponents one chapter earlier than KB did. She did an entire lesson incorrectly because she'd gotten confused about when to add/subtract exponents vs when to multiply/divide exponents. That got her very frustrated. She knew that wouldn't have happened with KB because all the practice problems have immediate feedback. She decided to drop Jacobs at that point and just use KB.

Jacobs and Kinetic Books are both solid programs. My oldest liked Jacobs and my middle liked it too - she just liked KB better.

She used Jacobs Geometry this year for 9th grade and very happily switched back to KB for Algebra II when she finished geometry a few weeks ago.

We did Lial's Basic College Math for my dd after Singapore 6, and then she moved on to Jacob's Algebra the next year and did great. We will be doing the same with my ds next year. The BCM is a great review along with covering some things not covered in Singapore. If you buy an older edition, it's downright cheap too!

We're just finishing Singapore 6b.

The plan is that one twin will move into Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1a/b for next year, then do Foerster's Algebra I the year after.

The other twin is doing LOF Pre-Alg/Bio over the summer, and in the fall will do Lial's Basic College Mathematics, and if that goes well (crossing fingers!!) she'd continue with Lial's Algebra.