Menu

Is The Well Planned Day planner worth it?

I saw it too... It is pretty! I'm waiting to hear if others have experience with it. Was the cost 15.95 or 24.95? I couldn't tell from the way they set it up.

I like the Catholic ones from http://www.pflaum.com/catalog/childcat/studtplan2.htm (they are cheaper, too.)

I like the format of the Intermediate Planner for when I write the plans for my younger kids. If I were using one only for myself (which I don't. I write the plans directly for the kids for grades 3 up and don't write plans for my younger kids.) I would use the teacher's planner. I ordered the teacher's one for my 11th grader this yr b/c she likes the more adult Catholic content than the one in the intermediate (my other kids really like the intermediate Catholic content)

FWIW, I do not like the format of the primary or jr high selections. I can't see using them for writing daily plans.

I used it this year. It is very nice, and very attractive. It has ALOT in it. The articles interspersed through it are all very good. If you can get it at a discount, and you like this format of planner (where there's a two page spread for a week with days across the top and subjects down the left side) it is a great one. I looked at tons of them last year. A downside for me: It is geared to having more than one child, and there was too much in it for me with an only. I also didn't like how much extra stuff there was in between the monthly pages (the articles, shopping lists, etc); it made flipping from month to month tedious and irritating. If I bought it again, I would definitely order the printed version; this would cost a fortune (in ink) to print from PDF because there is so much color and text on every page.

I'm going to create my own this year. For me , the format of WPD made me be a tracker, not a planner, which wasn't a good thing. Overall I'd give it a thumbs up compared to all the other premade planners I've seen.

I've used it this year and like it. I like the weekly two-page format, and there is enough room for me to put info in for each of my 3 kids. I also like the sections that are unlabeled for other subjects beyond math, history, etc. that we use for Latin, Literature, and other daily tasks like piano practice.

In addition, the columns on the right side of each page are great for ongoing notes, to-do lists, and menu planning (which I have done & find convenient).

A pp mentioned about the excess of pages between months, and honestly, after reading them, they could be torn out if you like. I do sometimes use the perforated shopping list pages though--they're fun & convenient when I can't find a paper scrap for a list.

I like the print version for the same reason as someone else--it's in color. It would be far too expensive to print this in color at home, and I do like my girly planner book vs. a black & white one that came out of my printer.

For next year, I got the middle school planner for my oldest who has been using her own planner for years already, usually bought from Staples. This was similarly priced with the Buyer's co-op, so I got her a pretty one too. :)

Other things I like (feeling verbose this morning!): the field trip logs, the numerous grading & documentation charts, and the report cards! This matters for us because my in-laws "reward" the other grandchildren at year's end and my girls get zero recognition unless they bring something official...which I have (until now) failed to do on my own. So, this year they will have glossy cardstock report cards, which I'm sure will impress the family...:tongue_smilie:

Planner selection is so personal! My theory is that certain "types" like certain planners.... we clump together.:)

I am shocked at how much I love this planner. I don't even use all of the resources in it, but wow! I bought the 2009-2010 one 2 months ago (for $5 clearance) to see if I would use it. I use this for 3 kids in 3 different levels.

I usually make my own planners. I have a "master" one that has curriculum lists, long-range plans, subject plans behind their own tabs, things to research, etc. It's pretty dense.Every weekend I transfer the week's info from the master planner in to the WPD planner. This helps me get my materials together and helps me wrap my mind around the week. I also plan my weekly meals at this time. During the week I can use my thin, pretty WPD instead of lugging "Big Mama"' around. I jot down notes, keep records of what we did, etc. I have never been good at keeping records, so this is just the ticket. HS is looming, so I need some practice keeping them.

I am not Potoestant, so I was concerned about the heavy Reformed emphasis. (I almost bought the planners you like, 8filltheheart, based on your rec. but the format was not exactly right for me). I have found that the articles are pretty general, so no problem. I wish the daily scripture readings were from the reading schedule my church uses, feast days, etc. but that is not a big deal. If I could find an Eastern Orthodox planner I might think about switching, but for now this one is the best I have ever seen.

I bought the one for next year, and the middle school version for my 2 oldest. They need to learn to start scheduling large tasks on their own, without me explaining (and reminding about) every step.

I find that the space included is perfect for daily use, but I could not use it for major planning. Then again, I am a total planning nerd and have 4 planners going constantly (aforementioned "Big Mama", WPD, church planner and household planner). I am not at my best this morning (flu) so if you need clarification of the above please ask!

Edited by happygrrl

I've used it this year and like it. I like the weekly two-page format, and there is enough room for me to put info in for each of my 3 kids. I also like the sections that are unlabeled for other subjects beyond math, history, etc. that we use for Latin, Literature, and other daily tasks like piano practice.

In addition, the columns on the right side of each page are great for ongoing notes, to-do lists, and menu planning (which I have done & find convenient).

A pp mentioned about the excess of pages between months, and honestly, after reading them, they could be torn out if you like. I do sometimes use the perforated shopping list pages though--they're fun & convenient when I can't find a paper scrap for a list.

Just to clarify because I'm debating between Well Planned Day and Notgrass' planner (http://www.christianbook.com/a-record-of-the-learning-lifestyle/charlene-notgrass/9781933410555/pd/410558?item_code=WW&netp_id=452602&event=ESRCN&view=details), does Well Planned Day have specific boxes for major subjects like math, history, science, writing and then extra boxes for additional subjects? Does it provide a list somewhere where I can write down all the books read to DD and books she's read on her own? I need a planner where I can flip back and not have to waste time trying to figure out where I had written our science or math studies (messy handwriting). So if there are boxes at the same place every day, then I know where exactly to look. Thank you.

Just to clarify because I'm debating between Well Planned Day and Notgrass' planner (http://www.christianbook.com/a-record-of-the-learning-lifestyle/charlene-notgrass/9781933410555/pd/410558?item_code=WW&netp_id=452602&event=ESRCN&view=details), does Well Planned Day have specific boxes for major subjects like math, history, science, writing and then extra boxes for additional subjects? Does it provide a list somewhere where I can write down all the books read to DD and books she's read on her own? I need a planner where I can flip back and not have to waste time trying to figure out where I had written our science or math studies (messy handwriting). So if there are boxes at the same place every day, then I know where exactly to look. Thank you.

Yes, it does. You can see an extensive (IIRC) sample here. The Notgrass planner looks great too... I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

i'm sad to say that i wasted my money when i bought the well-planned day planner. i had such high hopes, but i am a really simple kinda' gal, and there was just way too many things in there for me to think about. i couldn't work with it.

my preference is a calendar from bluesky.com that i buy at staples or target. it has a month-at a view 2-page spread, and then every day of the week on a week-at-a-glance two-page spread. major appointments go on the month at a glance and lesson plans go on the week at a glance.

Hey...wait till you all see their GREAT High School planner!!!!

You can even store transcript info.

Super!!!:001_smile:

Check it out!

There is a special deal...at the Homeschool co-op buyers......

Also....GET A FREE 1 YEAR

SUBSCRIPTION

To Home Educating Family Magazine+

GET 200+ SMARTPOINTS

when you purchase any

Well-Planned Day

Student or Teacher Planner

(2010-2011)

from Home Educating Family Magazine

Offer Expires 06-30-2010 at 11:59 pm Eastern

It is the only planner I have used for the entire year without ditching partway through and creating my own. I was surprised at how well I liked it so I didn't hesitate to get the deal through the Homeschool Buyers Co-Op. I also bought the Well-Grounded Middle Schooler, but wasn't as thrilled with it for my oldest son.

I used it this year. It is very nice, and very attractive. It has ALOT in it. The articles interspersed through it are all very good. If you can get it at a discount, and you like this format of planner (where there's a two page spread for a week with days across the top and subjects down the left side) it is a great one. I looked at tons of them last year. A downside for me: It is geared to having more than one child, and there was too much in it for me with an only. I also didn't like how much extra stuff there was in between the monthly pages (the articles, shopping lists, etc); it made flipping from month to month tedious and irritating. If I bought it again, I would definitely order the printed version; this would cost a fortune (in ink) to print from PDF because there is so much color and text on every page.

I'm going to create my own this year. For me , the format of WPD made me be a tracker, not a planner, which wasn't a good thing. Overall I'd give it a thumbs up compared to all the other premade planners I've seen.

I agree on the most part with Monalisa, but I have used it quite nicely with my only child and love it so much that I just ordered one for next school year. I use the extra space on the pages for writing more notes about my dd's assignments and it works out beautifully for me. As to extra pages, I just go through the book first thing and tear out all the pages that are in multiples that I know I will not be using (i.e. student planning pages and report cards that are there for a larger family, etc.) I also tear out all the shopping list pages and put them together in a bundle so they are handy when I need them. And I staple or paperclip pages together that I don't want to have to pass through when I'm looking through the book (i.e. July - early August pages because we don't start until mid August).

I was going to create my own planner, but when it came down to it I decided to stay with TWPD because I really did like it and it was already done for me -- one less chore to do in all my pre-year planning. I really like the little highlighted calendars on each week's pages, the room for lists and the little extras that have been so thoughtfully added that would not be in a book that I make myself (at least without a lot of copying, pasting and hand highlighting, which I just don't feel like doing.) The book is also very pretty and so its like a gift I give myself to use and enjoy during the school year. All in all, I felt very successful as a teacher/administrator this past year largely because I used TWPD.

Yes, definitely -- a two thumbs up from this hs mom. I do recommend it highly.

Blessings,

Lucinda