Menu

technology over education

I just read that a middle school used grant money to buy 622 iPod Touches for school use - they are at least $200 each, so they just spent over $100K on them.

“Instead of having lots of resources, books (and) dictionaries around, we can just go to the iPod Touch and research it," said a sixth grader.

Yeah, wouldn't want any of those book things around...

:confused:

I just read that a middle school used grant money to buy 622 iPod Touches for school use - they are at least $200 each, so they just spent over $100K on them.

“Instead of having lots of resources, books (and) dictionaries around, we can just go to the iPod Touch and research it," said a sixth grader.

I agree wholeheartedly. A librarian kindly shared a book by Clifford Stoll on this issue with me and it really changed my thinking. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on whom you ask, the local school board is not interested in hearing what anyone outside the"establishment" has to say on the issue. Here is a link to the PBS interview about his book. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/cyberspace/cyberspace_12-27b.html

Here is a link to his book if anyone is interested http://books.google.com/books?id=NaVgPHBD4A0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=clifford+stoll+high+tech+heretic&source=bl&ots=PfR8TYJOU0&sig=Cnm9aeMEh6cO3LTCEsrEKOgjB60&hl=en&ei=4LcNTLqpJYOB8gaJxOWECQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's a lot of money to spend on an unnecessary technology when so many school districts are firing teachers because they don't have enough money.

I wonder if the school got a grant that had to be used on computer technology? Often schools get those and they have to be used for a specific purpose no matter what areas have a greater need.

I hate to tell ya, but this new trend will be around for a while. It seems to be the "thing" that schools are going for...laptops for all kids, Kindles instead of books in the library, Ipods, etc. You name it. And yes, there are grants galore that schools write for that help them pay for this and this money can NOT be used to pay teachers.

I am definitely a lover of technology but just throwing technology and kids and teachers without any real direction on how to use it in an instructional setting is a big fat waste of money.

It's a lot of money to spend on an unnecessary technology when so many school districts are firing teachers because they don't have enough money.

I wonder if the school got a grant that had to be used on computer technology? Often schools get those and they have to be used for a specific purpose no matter what areas have a greater need.

Dh's school is getting whiteboards for every room, even as they are looking at cutting staff. There is very little flexibility in school budgets. Grants come for specific items, and they are either spent on those things or lost altogether. Drives me nuts!

I don't automatically view the use of "technology" in the classroom as a negative thing ~ and I don't think it's fair of them to throw that quote from a sixth grader out there... it's obviously meant to rile people up. These are the words of a kid who might be what, 11? Of course they'd think it was a lot more fun to use the iPod - just like WE thought it was fun to use those new fangled Apple computers. ;)

I am irate at the message being sent to kids about the value of literature. Our local school district is buying kindles and eliminating textbooks. I figure that in a couple of years, they'll just eliminate paper! Everything will be multiple choice on the computer. After all, if the end all and be all of government education is to bubble test well, why bother actually working math problems just teach them to estimate and guess. Who cares if they can write an original sentence as long as they can identify incorrect comma useage in a random sentence on a test.

What we will end up with is the wealthy elite who have educated their children in private schools holding all the cards and making all of the decisions. Welcome to the new Middle Ages!

Actually, I have personally been accused by a social worker (just a random conversation, we weren't investigated or anything - she attends our church) of being "elitest" for homeschooling. Her comment was, "You are trying to make your family a member of the elite ruling class by refusing to allow your children to receive a working class education." I did not say what I thought, "ARE YOU NUTS? DO YOU NOT SEE THE DANGERS OF WHAT YOU JUST SAID? GET READY TO BE A SUBJECT NOT A CITIZEN. No I did not say those things but my brain was sure popping on all cylinders.

Sigh, I am so sad for the children of America. I am particularly sad for the nice little boy next door who is so sweet and his future is being wasted by a system that has already decided, in kindergarten, that he isn't smart, won't be much of a student, and is already fast ignoring him. His single mama wants something better for him but is helpless to provide it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Faith

I don't automatically view the use of "technology" in the classroom as a negative thing ~ and I don't think it's fair of them to throw that quote from a sixth grader out there... it's obviously meant to rile people up. These are the words of a kid who might be what, 11? Of course they'd think it was a lot more fun to use the iPod - just like WE thought it was fun to use those new fangled Apple computers. ;)

I don't think it was meant to rile people up. It was just part of the article. My big problem with the technology is that they don't need to learn that in school! They will learn it -they will not be "screen" illiterate. Who taught them all to text so fast? No one! Most kids do not need to increase screen time.

As I continue to study the library, information, and archiving sciences I think there will ultimately be a day when everything is stored electronically. It will no doubt be a while but the day is coming. Bound books will be exhibited in museums and children of the future will scoff at the bulky, yellowed pages and wonder how kids could stand to haul around five or six of the things for homework.

As for the purchase of the iPod Touch? Well, I can say I'm glad they didn't use the money on more football uniforms.

My big problem with the technology is that they don't need to learn that in school! They will learn it -they will not be "screen" illiterate. Who taught them all to text so fast? No one! Most kids do not need to increase screen time.

Exactly! My son took a little 2 hour "class" at the apple store, then came home and figured waaaaay more stuff out then they taught him there. Kids will figure it all out, and then figure out things that we had no idea how to do.

As I continue to study the library, information, and archiving sciences I think there will ultimately be a day when everything is stored electronically. It will no doubt be a while but the day is coming. Bound books will be exhibited in museums and children of the future will scoff at the bulky, yellowed pages and wonder how kids could stand to haul around five or six of the things for homework.

This better not happen until after I die.

I agree wholeheartedly. A librarian kindly shared a book by Clifford Stoll on this issue with me and it really changed my thinking. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on whom you ask, the local school board is not interested in hearing what anyone outside the"establishment" has to say on the issue. Here is a link to the PBS interview about his book. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/cyberspace/cyberspace_12-27b.html

Here is a link to his book if anyone is interested http://books.google.com/books?id=NaVgPHBD4A0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=clifford+stoll+high+tech+heretic&source=bl&ots=PfR8TYJOU0&sig=Cnm9aeMEh6cO3LTCEsrEKOgjB60&hl=en&ei=4LcNTLqpJYOB8gaJxOWECQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks so much for this! I just put this book on hold at the library.

Actually, I have personally been accused by a social worker (just a random conversation, we weren't investigated or anything - she attends our church) of being "elitest" for homeschooling. Her comment was, "You are trying to make your family a member of the elite ruling class by refusing to allow your children to receive a working class education."

:001_huh:

Did someone really say that to you? Holy guacamole.

I cant imagine using an Ipod touch for anything school related.

The screen is so tiny. Its not like you could read a book on one. I mean I guess you could but it would be pretty awful.

I don't have a comment on the school purchase, but we use our iPod touch for school every day.

The apps available have made it an incredibly useful tool for studying, and we do read on it. I use the Kindle app, and I have read ten or twelve full books on it since I got it in February. I really love it.