Menu

what would cause my dog.....

to poop in the house twice this week? She's getting old (approaching 13) but she's been such an AWESOME little dog. She's my first small dog, a rat terrier that everyone thinks is a Jack Russell. She was recently diagnosed with a severe heart murmer, breathes heavily, has cloudy eyes, is losing her hearing. But, the accidents in the house? It's just not her. I've had dogs all my life and don't remember one ever doing this. My poor baby. I love her SO much. She's just such a good little dog.

Our dog had more accidents as her heart condition worsened. Have you noticed if she barks or signals as she usually does when she needs to go outside? Our dog stopped barking which was one way she told us she needed to be let out. She would also prance around by the door and we would here her - and either we didn't notice (we had moved to a larger house) or she stopped that as well. You may just need to play closer attention to when she needs to go out - and maybe its just some temporary tummy troubles.

Keep in mind that as she's getting older, her other body systems are getting old, too, like her heart and eyes. She's not going to be able to control her bowels or bladder like she used to. Remember the dog years factor - she's 91 years old in human years. You probably need to change your pattern of how often you let her outside. If she's also arthritic, like ktgrok suggested, you might try carrying her since she's a small dog. Dogs can also get a little senile. She may just be forgetting she has to let you know to she needs to go. If she starts having bladder issues (which is very common in older females) your vet can prescribe a hormonal drug to help her bladder sphincter stay strong (sorry if that's TMI :) ).

The best thing you can do is talk to your vet. He/she can give you better ideas and possible medical suggestions to help your little pup. I worked at an animal hospital for years and it's very common to see older pets having accidents in the house. It's not a matter of them being a bad dog, they're just slowly losing control of their bodies ~ just like we do as we get older.

HTHs

Could she be arthritic, and having a hard time making it outside because she is stiff? She might be holding it because it is a lot of trouble to go outside, and then it kind of comes out without warning.

I've seen NO signs of this at all. She walks the stairs easily, and jumps into my bed, which is rather high up, at night to sleep with me. :001_smile: I see no signs of this at all in her, and I've had dogs with arthritis before.

Our dog had more accidents as her heart condition worsened. Have you noticed if she barks or signals as she usually does when she needs to go outside? Our dog stopped barking which was one way she told us she needed to be let out. She would also prance around by the door and we would here her - and either we didn't notice (we had moved to a larger house) or she stopped that as well. You may just need to play closer attention to when she needs to go out - and maybe its just some temporary tummy troubles.

oh, poor baby. This makes me sad. She sleeps most of the time now. I think I will let her out more often but honestly, we are in and out all day long, going to the barn, doing yard work, etc. and she's by my side ALL THE TIME, so she's in and out quite a bit.

Keep in mind that as she's getting older, her other body systems are getting old, too, like her heart and eyes. She's not going to be able to control her bowels or bladder like she used to. Remember the dog years factor - she's 91 years old in human years. You probably need to change your pattern of how often you let her outside. If she's also arthritic, like ktgrok suggested, you might try carrying her since she's a small dog. Dogs can also get a little senile. She may just be forgetting she has to let you know to she needs to go. If she starts having bladder issues (which is very common in older females) your vet can prescribe a hormonal drug to help her bladder sphincter stay strong (sorry if that's TMI :) ).

The best thing you can do is talk to your vet. He/she can give you better ideas and possible medical suggestions to help your little pup. I worked at an animal hospital for years and it's very common to see older pets having accidents in the house. It's not a matter of them being a bad dog, they're just slowly losing control of their bodies ~ just like we do as we get older.

HTHs

there's no question about it at all, nobody could ever consider this little gem of an animal to be a bad dog. She's SUCH a great little dog!!!

It's funny you mention the above, because I was seriously wondering whether or not dogs get senile! I questioned it with her a couple times recently. At least she doesn't pee in the house, and she chooses the wood floor, in front of an Amish cabinet with a barn scene painted on the lower half, to poop on. It's funny - she's LOOKING at the great outdoors with a big green field and then pooping right there in front of it. :lol:

I never had old dogs start to have more accidents. If this continues, maybe I'll try puppy pads in front of the cabinet. For now, I'll let her out more.

I do carry her a lot. And when I found out that she could no longer go on walks or exercise, I bought a carrier for her. I used to think they were so stupid and now I proudly carry her around in one. :001_smile:

Yes, they can go senile. :-(

Also, when my current foster was really sick (he had a diaphragmatic hernia which needed surgical repair, his liver was halfway up in his chest, his lungs were mostly collapsed and what wasn't collapsed was full of fluid), he was having pooping inside & I believe it was just that he felt really bad & I'm guessing that he didn't really know why he felt bad or what to do but somewhere in his brain is the message that sometimes, when you feel weird, you go poop and you feel better and I think he was just trying that in case it helped.

Have you got her on lasix? That heavy breathing could be due to fluid retention, which might make her feel full or just plain sick.

I think when they're sick, it just takes a lot of energy to do anything & with her heart probs, it just might be too much to figure out what to do & when.

You can try moving her meals around a bit (I'd feed early in the morning & then very late at night) & doing a really late last walk. I did that with Bear, after I was already in my jammies, teeth brushed, the whole thing - just slipped on my coat & hat & boots & went out only with him (the other dogs were already in bed) and had a small walk to toilet him one last time. That helped a lot - for one thing it tired him a teeny bit and then he was more likely to just sleep till the morning.

Thanks, Jann in TX and Hornblower.

I did have her thoroughly checked out. She's had the heavy breathing for 2+ years and when they thoroughly checked her out, including echocardiogram, she was ok, as in no fluid retention.

I think it's her heart making her not feel well. It breaks my heart. I thought that she'd live so much longer than my large dogs. The vet said she could easily live 16 - 18 years. I feel bad that she's in this shape at such a young age.

I will enjoy her every day I have her, but I will not allow her to suffer. :crying:

Honestly, I never knew dogs could go senile.

Yes, it certainly could be related to senility, especially if the stool is normal.

Anipryl is one drug that has been used for Canine Cognitive Dysfunction or senility but it is expensive and not without side effects. Some dogs respond well and some do not respond at all. Trying a diet with antioxidants may be of benefit as well as Omega fatty acids for brain health.

Yes, it certainly could be related to senility, especially if the stool is normal.

Anipryl is one drug that has been used for Canine Cognitive Dysfunction or senility but it is expensive and not without side effects. Some dogs respond well and some do not respond at all. Trying a diet with antioxidants may be of benefit as well as Omega fatty acids for brain health.

wow, I never realized!!! The stool is normal, and she's acting as she always has but sleeps most of the time now. I think I'll hold off on meds for now. She's already on heart medication, and I'm in the camp or no meds unless TRULY needed, for animals and humans. ;)

Thanks Soph and Vettech!!!!

of course, talk to vet, but you might try a different feed? Are you using dry, wet, canned? Do you give the dog treats? A mix for senior dogs? Have owned several dogs and the feed can vastly affect their "output," which in combination with the other factors (physical age, medicines, senility) could be causing the issue.

Had a dog once that had a stroke...lived another six months happily, but walked sideways a lot, and we had to increase her "going-out" frequency to compensate for potty issues.

Good luck...it's hard to see any loved ones get older...