Menu

Vegetarian finger food suggestions please

I need some suggestions for vegetarian finger foods with recipes if you can. My standard fair for parties and such is usually sausage rolls, party pies, sandwiches, mini quiche that kind of thing. None of those are vegetarian options and i have to take a plate or two to an event in the coming weeks.

It needs to be something that both adults and children will enjoy. I am planning this far out because i will need to try some of these out on my kids to make sure they are going to eat what i take. Nothing worse than a starving child!

Well, the quiche is vegetarian if you don't add meat, or do you need vegan ideas?

Crostini - toasted bread with flavourful toppings like mushroom pate or cheese spread

Stuffed mushrooms - stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese, caramelized onions and some chopped up mushrooms

Mini cheese balls - mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese with flavourings like onions, mustard, garlic, herbs, etc and make them into little bite-sized balls.

Vegetarian pizza. You can even make simple mini ones by using half bread rolls, spread with tomato paste, some fresh tomato, olives, sprinkle with cheese and put in the oven for a few minutes.

Dips and rice crackers and/or cut up vegies. I make guacomale a lot- avocado, lemon or lime juice, Braggs or salt, and a garlic clove.

There are spinach and ricotta, or spinach and fetta pastries in Coles. They are always a hit when we take them places. They take 15-20 minutes heating in the oven, but they stay hot for ages.

Nachos- pkt of corn chips, jar of salsa poured over the top, grated cheese on the top of that, pop in the oven or microwave to melt cheese. My kids make that regularly for themselves. You can put a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream on top of that.

Vegetarian samosas from Coles.

Fruit platter.

These little cream cheese strawberries are delicious: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/filled-strawberries

cucumber sandwiches

I like mine simple with mayo, salt, and pepper (I make a Mexican mole to go with it, it's very hot, not chocolatey :)). I have a round cookie cutter just the size of bigger cucumbers (not Persian). It's the only time I'll eat soft white bread, they look so pretty stacked high on a plate. There are tons of different recipes online. You could even do 2 or 3 plates of different kinds with cute little labels. I've never met a cucumber sandwich I didn't like!

I'll write more later :001_smile:

(I make both of these vegan by using Veganaise and Toffuti cream cheese)

Edited by helena

I do a falafel platter and people always love it. Some look at it strange and then chow down. I fry up little balls of falafel using the dry mix stuff. Put that on a platter with hummus in the middle. I add cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, olives, red pepper slices, pita triangles etc.

You can buy veggie meatballs now and use them anyway you use regular meatballs such as in that jelly chili sauce stuff.

Fruit and Veggies

Cut up a pineapple

Sliced strawberries

Watermelon basket

The ever present veggies (with or without that vile Rance dressing)

If you don't have to worry about vegan preferences

Cheese and cracker platter

mini-quiche with asparagus

deviled eggs

Something sweet

Pecan praline

Cupcakes (for lacto-ovo vegetarians)

Gimmie Lean is a sausage that comes in a roll like Jimmy Dean. Have you seen that? It can be used like regular sausage for the most part. Maybe that would work in your sausage rolls. (I googled it because I wasn't sure what a sausage roll was:tongue_smilie:)

This sausage also makes good stuffed mushrooms.

It's been a while since I've made them. I got the recipe from an aunt, I could kick myself for not writing it down! (Thank goodness I wrote out her banana nut bread recipe :))

Here is what I remember:

-crumble/cook GL sausage

-mince/fry Lightlife bacon http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=smartbacon

-mince/cook stems of mushrooms

-make some sourdough bread crumbs (I like La Brea brand baguettes for this)

-some chili flakes, salt, pepper

-there was some kind of fresh herb, maybe parsley?

I'm going to make these this week and see if it jogs my memory..

If you make them, let me know if you add anything to improve on this.

Isn't it funny how you can just forget to make a recipe you love, for so long? :001_smile: