Menu

we need some new games at our home

I just bought these two games for my dd7 and she loves them...

Words on my Mind and Head Full of Numbers

Both are by Learning Resources.

Forgot to add pros and cons....

pros...dd usually has trouble sitting still but with the hourglass timer she tries to hurry up and find as many words or equations as she can before the time is up. It holds her interest for a longer period of time than other games we have played. She also struggles with reading, so for now we only look for 2 and 3 letter words. She usually does not want to sit and do any kind of phonics work but this is a "game".

cons...really haven't found any yet

Edited by jjhankins97
added pros & cons

i dont know if they meet your wants but there is a company called "simply fun" that has fabulous games.. they all take less than 30 min to play! and they all have some form of educational usage to them!! its a great company!

I highly suggest their game "bank it" for learning money and learn about saving for something and still giving back to a charity! its an awesome game!! They have a game called linkety.. you can use it in tons of different ways.. naming countries, naming states, naming capitals, naming animals, naming whatever..... all of their games are made with multiple ages in mind.. so you can adapt them easily to play with preschoolers all the way up to adult :)

enjoy!

christina

I am looking for the best of geography, math, grammar and phonics games from personal expereince. If you have a winner or a loser at your house and want to share the pros and cons, I would love to hear what you have to say. My kids are 6, 8 and 9 1/2. Thanks.

I've used the Hop Off game for US geography, Yahtzee for math, Take Off for world geography, and 10 Days in Europe for European geography.

I love utilizing games for learning. I wrote about each of the games I listed and shared pictures at the links above.

...Equate! It's like Scrabble with equations instead of words. The normal version has mostly 4 function arithmetic and pretty simple fractions, and you can purchase an extension that has more difficult concepts. I vaguely remember that there might be another extension for very young children, but am not sure.

The Garden Game--not in one of your categories, but I love this game. It gently teaches organic gardening principles, and it is truly fun, not like a lot of other educational games. You don't have to know anything about the topic to play this game.

I don't think that anyone really outgrows Sorry--and the very young children can learn math strategies from the options on some of the cards.

For history, when they get a little older, Perspective is a great timeline game. Rather than knowing specific dates, it requires players to know RELATIVE dates--which events came before or after which others. They do have to know some history to enjoy playing this, though.

Family Pastimes has a lot of cooperative games, where the players basically team up and play together against the game itself. These are generally pretty engaging, and lend themselves to a lot of great discussions about strategies. My recollection is that the Forest one was especially good.