Menu

Do you feel like you are rushing through history . . .

abrightmom

. . . or do you find the "3 4-year cycles" to be a good fit?

:bigear:

I can't seem to see my way past this idea that we'd be flying by the seat of our pants . . . and possibly short changing American History along the way.:confused:

Anyone slow it down and/or cycle through a little differently? I'd like to slow it down but I lack experience. Perhaps this is unnecessary. . . and I'm just caught up in worry and fear!

My history curricula choices (those that I like) include SOTW, MOH (I prefer this to SOTW for it's distinct Biblical focus/Christian world view but SOTW is loved by my kids and fantastic to read aloud) and Beautiful Feet for Early American history with early elementary students. I've set aside TOG, VP and Sonlight for now (they have all been big contenders though).

If anyone reads this and answers then THANKS! Big sigh. :001_smile:

We tend to spend more time on the ancients and middle ages and less time in early modern & modern. We are cycling back to ancients this year. I know we'll spend more than one year going through it because I plan to have my dd dig deeper this time around and we both really enjoy this period of history.

On the other hand, we actually sped modern up and finished it early because we both found it somewhat depressing, and some of the topics we'd already discussed; my dd was familiar with them as they happened during my lifetime.

I wouldn't worry. As you go through you'll find what grabs your dc's interest and you'll get a feel for areas where you want to go deeper. We're Canadian and (shame, oh, shame! :001_smile:) we have hardly done any Canadian history (we're found U.S. history much more interesting, especially the American Revolution, which sort of ties in with Canadian history, doesn't it? ;) ) Since we finished modern early, we're spending some time brushing up on it.

Overall, we'll probably cover ancients & middle ages three times but early modern & modern only twice. That's okay. Our children have the rest of their lives to explore whatever interests them! :001_smile:

Another place you can look is www.simplycharlottemason.com . The have 2 6yr history cycles instead of 3 4yr cycles. You can follow their free curriculum guide and use whatever resources you want or you can follow their book suggestions and use their handbooks that include history, geography and bible. They also have a very helpful forum where you can ask questions.

Hope that helps you a little!

I think it was ok for the younger grades since it gives them a grasp on the timeline. Now that we're in the middle grades I am taking a lot more time and digging deeper. I require them to do more so I will take a much time as we need. I never was one to follow the 'rules' that closely. :)

Six years on SOTW was a better fit for us. Dd will do one year of Am History focus, then do a four-year rotation of world history in high school. I had originally wanted her to do 5 years on world history in high school, but our involvement with a co-op this year upset our history schedule.

I do feel that way, so I've basically slowed it down to a longer cyle. Instead of 4 TOG units, I try to complete 3 every year. There are places we can speed up or slow down, but I find if I move faster, our retention isn't as high, so I prefer to take it easy. It's working well as we can get in depth, take our time, and enjoy the process. Enjoy the process! That's as important as the process itself, at least to me, at this juncture.:001_smile:

I do feel that way, so I've basically slowed it down to a longer cyle. Instead of 4 TOG units, I try to complete 3 every year. There are places we can speed up or slow down, but I find if I move faster, our retention isn't as high, so I prefer to take it easy. It's working well as we can get in depth, take our time, and enjoy the process. Enjoy the process! That's as important as the process itself, at least to me, at this juncture.:001_smile:

This sounds like the way I operate and want to operate within the study of history! So, it takes you 5 years to cycle through? Can you still meet high school requirements doing it this way?

On the other hand, you'd get three chances to study it, digging a little deeper each time....

Yes, I have considered this too . . . but it leaves no wiggle room. I have felt boxed in by this framework.

Six years on SOTW was a better fit for us.

:001_smile:

I think it was ok for the younger grades since it gives them a grasp on the timeline. Now that we're in the middle grades I am taking a lot more time and digging deeper. I require them to do more so I will take a much time as we need. I never was one to follow the 'rules' that closely. :)
This sounds like me. . . I do fear breaking the rules though. I sit, stumped, and ponder the "box" and how I might get out of the box without getting into trouble. :D

As long as we cover it once in the younger years and once in High School I will be ok.
:001_smile:

I think I have the courage to NOT follow SWB's plan to a "T" which, admittedly, is hard. I will doubt and waver along the way . . . but I think the plan I have is a *good* plan. Thanks for sharing your experiences and view points . . . I just needed a little affirmation that I'm not the only one who might veer a little from the WTM path (just a little, mind you:D).

. . . or do you find the "3 4-year cycles" to be a good fit?

:bigear:

I can't seem to see my way past this idea that we'd be flying by the seat of our pants . . . and possibly short changing American History along the way.:confused:

Anyone slow it down and/or cycle through a little differently? I'd like to slow it down but I lack experience. Perhaps this is unnecessary. . . and I'm just caught up in worry and fear!

My history curricula choices (those that I like) include SOTW, MOH (I prefer this to SOTW for it's distinct Biblical focus/Christian world view but SOTW is loved by my kids and fantastic to read aloud) and Beautiful Feet for Early American history with early elementary students. I've set aside TOG, VP and Sonlight for now (they have all been big contenders though).

If anyone reads this and answers then THANKS! Big sigh. :001_smile:

I don't do cyclical history at all. To give you an idea of how not cyclical it is, here is what we did last yr and what we are getting ready to start:

5th grade--American history: Civil War to modern times....

6th grade--history via Further Up and Further In

8th grade--American history: bizarre and obscure topics rarely studied in school (for example, he spent 3 weeks just on pirates and their impact on the formation of our society)

9th grade--World cultures/geography

10th grade--20th century world history

11th grade--American history

We do not rush through history. We savor it! There is nothing that *has* to be learned by a certain time. There are never any pre-reqs. We study and enjoy!

We are using MOH also (but not for all of K-12) and plan on doing American and that last vol. 4 when it comes out over 2 years. Beautiful Feet Am. History is great too... But I'm still looking for a good exciting American History that I like for the middle school years. The Bright Ideas American stuff looks good, but a little to textbooky for me. I just love the colloquial style of Linda Hobar, I guess. It's spoiled me for the grammar stage. And my oldest is only 7 for goodness sake!

But to answer your question, yes, occasionally I'll feel rushed. And then I'll stop and tell myself to stop being such a stick in the mud and slow down and enjoy that period no matter how it changes my schedule.

But once I get to Jr. High and High School we are graduating to TOG or Omnibus, and will do the recommended history rotations.

Oh, and also, I think I remember someone here wisely pointing out that History is a survey subject, and not an area of study that is meant to be mastered at this point. Realizing that helped me to relax a bit.

I've felt like that the last two years doing SOTW. Next year we are moving to Trail Guide to Learning which will keep us within the main boundaries of the cycle since it covers American history. Yet, we will be covering six topics in depth for six weeks each. Once I *finally* decided on this curriculum and was able to savor what it meant to spend six weeks on a topic (and all of the branches that would come out from that main topic), let me tell you, it was like a burden was lifted off of my shoulders! :) I am so excited for next year. We'll get to really dig into some things!

My other option was VP since it only covers 32 topics from the time period. Much more manageable, IMO. (I'm actually planning on adding in just the cards and memory song since my dd can't get enough history.)

I used K12's History Odyssey for Logic Stage Ancients and Medieval, and I preferred the way it broke history down to Early Man, Early Civilisations, Ancient Greeks, Romans etc. I found it a refreshing change after moving so quickly through history with SOTW. However, I also like SOTW.

YOu can break SOTW into countries if you like. Do all the Ancient Greek Chapters consecutively if you like.

I am nowadays of the opinion that it really doesnt matter so much what you do with the younger kids...mine don't remember much at all! A few pegs here and there is all.

I used K12's History Odyssey for Logic Stage Ancients and Medieval, and I preferred the way it broke history down to Early Man, Early Civilisations, Ancient Greeks, Romans etc. I found it a refreshing change after moving so quickly through history with SOTW. However, I also like SOTW.

YOu can break SOTW into countries if you like. Do all the Ancient Greek Chapters consecutively if you like.

I am nowadays of the opinion that it really doesnt matter so much what you do with the younger kids...mine don't remember much at all! A few pegs here and there is all.

:iagree:

You might also want to look at the Latin Centered Curriculum for a slower paced history progression. There are many ways of doing the same thing, and even using the same materials, but in a different way.

I don't do cyclical history at all. To give you an idea of how not cyclical it is, here is what we did last yr and what we are getting ready to start:

8th grade--American history: bizarre and obscure topics rarely studied in school (for example, he spent 3 weeks just on pirates and their impact on the formation of our society)

We do not rush through history. We savor it! There is nothing that *has* to be learned by a certain time. There are never any pre-reqs. We study and enjoy!

I love how you shatter all of my tightly-held educational myths. It's so freeing.:lol::lol::lol:

This sounds like me. . . I do fear breaking the rules though. I sit, stumped, and ponder the "box" and how I might get out of the box without getting into trouble.

I just needed a little affirmation that I'm not the only one who might veer a little from the WTM path (just a little, mind you:D).

If you're confident in the skills side, for each child, of studying history, then go for the stretch-out! :D

:iagree:

Since TOG Rhetoric covers what's going on, pretty much everywhere, if we have completed 4 years of TOG, there is no doubt we'll meet World History req't. and it just so happens he'll get the American history credit as we finish through Years 3 & 4, over the next 2 school years, his 9th and 10th grade. Then we head to Ancients and Med. for more world history.

In FL, I can use credits where applicable from 8th grade, so long as the work is high school level. This has really opened doors for us, as we can get math, writing, latin and science at least partially knocked out of the way, credit wise, before high school. It leaves chances for more "electives" that I can fill with history :D I will use TOG credits to the max. for high school. Then, we'll dual enroll for areas we choose at the local CC.

High school credits will be no problem :)

But to answer your question, yes, occasionally I'll feel rushed. And then I'll stop and tell myself to stop being such a stick in the mud and slow down and enjoy that period no matter how it changes my schedule.
This isn't easy to do! :001_smile:

But once I get to Jr. High and High School we are graduating to TOG or Omnibus, and will do the recommended history rotations.

:001_wub: and :eek: with these programs . . . have spent a lot of time here in recent weeks. I am more scared of Omni (for the junior high years) than TOG.

Oh, and also, I think I remember someone here wisely pointing out that History is a survey subject, and not an area of study that is meant to be mastered at this point. Realizing that helped me to relax a bit.

Your blog is a treat and I was inspired in reading it because your plan is my plan . . .sort of (I had VP going in there too but have wavered on that). :D The difference is that I'm a year "behind" as my oldest is going to be in 2nd. My *good* plan is in jeopardy . . .

I have hesitated to plunge ahead with MOH because it is written for that logic stage . . . I am concerned that MOH 1 would be fine but MOH 2 and beyond might be too much of a stretch. Thoughts?

I do see how Omni would cycle for Jr. High and High School (2 3-year rotations) but how will you handle TOG if you go there? In an ideal world you will have six years :D. PLEASE share.

I need to PM you because I could ask you questions all day . . .:D

(Whispering) Even Susan didn't follow Susan's plan to a T. She extended some of their history while she was writing SOTW, so that her kids could use it. Really. :coolgleamA:

:D For some reason it feels WRONG to know this . . . hee hee. That is super duper cool to know!

Wisdom borne of experience . . . I long for this! :001_smile:

HOW does one pull off a schedule like this? I suppose that because they are all logic/rhetoric stage ages there is more independence in their studies? I cannot imagine organizing and overseeing all of those different time periods.

What do you do/will you do with your youngers who need more Mom interaction/teaching/read aloud time?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I think I have the courage to NOT follow SWB's plan to a "T" which, admittedly, is hard. I will doubt and waver along the way . . . but I think the plan I have is a *good* plan. Thanks for sharing your experiences and view points . . . I just needed a little affirmation that I'm not the only one who might veer a little from the WTM path (just a little, mind you:D).

You know what cracks me up? On one of SWB's conference mp3s, she made some comments about how so many homeschool moms seek her approval at conferences, how they approach her and ask for her opinion of a plan that they have painstakingly considered and put down on paper. She talked about how we all know ourselves and what we and our kids want and need and yet so many of us need approval from an expert. She basically said to trust yourself.

I kind of think I took that as a dare. :tongue_smilie: Four year cycle. Eh. I don't need an expert opinion. :lol:

I am deviating from the four year cycle and feel 100% fabulous about it. I own almost everything PHP puts out and adore WTM and SWB but I am a big girl and I can decide against a four year history cycle if I want to. :D

We're doing...

2 years of American history

4 years of world history

4 years of world history

This schedule means that I don't have to rush through the fun parts of American history. We can immerse ourselves in the details. When we do world history, we can really do world history, without feeling like we're shortchanging America. I'm very happy with this.

You know what cracks me up? On one of SWB's conference mp3s, she made some comments about how so many homeschool moms seek her approval at conferences, how they approach her and ask for her opinion of a plan that they have painstakingly considered and put down on paper. She talked about how we all know ourselves and what we and our kids want and need and yet so many of us need approval from an expert. She basically said to trust yourself.

I kind of think I took that as a dare. :tongue_smilie: Four year cycle. Eh. I don't need an expert opinion. :lol:

I am deviating from the four year cycle and feel 100% fabulous about it. I own almost everything PHP puts out and adore WTM and SWB but I am a big girl and I can decide against a four year history cycle if I want to. :D

We're doing...

4 years of world history

4 years of world history

This schedule means that I don't have to rush through the fun parts of American history. We can immerse ourselves in the details. When we do world history, we can really do world history, without feeling like we're shortchanging America. I'm very happy with this.

This is one of my FAVORITE posts EVER!! :hurray: And I really love your plan . . . really. Now I want to KNOW what curricula you will use to pull this off and what your kiddo dynamics look like. PLEASE share . . . pretty please?! :D

I just listened to this PHP conference mp3 (on Monday night :001_smile:)!! Thanks for reminding me about what she said.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
This is one of my FAVORITE posts EVER!! :hurray: And I really love your plan . . . really. Now I want to KNOW what curricula you will use to pull this off and what your kiddo dynamics look like. PLEASE share . . . pretty please?! :D

I just listened to this PHP conference mp3 (on Monday night :001_smile:)!! Thanks for reminding me about what she said.

Well, thank you. :blush: I hope my follow-up lives up to your expectations but it's pretty cut and dry.

For our first two years of American history, we're not using a curriculum (I bought WP AS1 but was not happy with it). I pick living books (lots of bios) and we're reading them as sort of a chronological unit study. I pull books from every curriculum out there (favorites are VP, AO, Sonlight). We do mapwork and a timeline using Homeschool in the Woods maps and figures. I use WWE and choose my passages and copywork from our history books. We do lots of hands-on activities and recipes and the kids like to pretend play the themes we're reading about. I have to say one of my favorite parts of our history study is the music. I try to play music appropriate to the era every day and it's so much fun. I'm planning for our second year right now and I'm having way too much fun with the music!

For our first round of world history, we will use SOTW basically the same way we do American. However, the majority of our supplementary reading will focus on the rest of the world. I have considered (and not ruled out) buying TOG to use for the two world history rotations but I'm a little disappointed (for my particular needs) by the heavy emphasis on American history. I guess when you're trying to fit it all into three cycles, it's hard not to make that the focus.

For our second round of American history, we will use Hakim's History of US. I will probably buy the junior high/high school guides for this and, of course, supplement with additional reading. I would also really like to do a concurrent or summer study of comparative history texts (William Bennett vs. Howard Zinn). :boxing_smiley: Should be a rollicking good time. :lol: We won't have to flesh it out, just enjoy the rumble and learn about point of view.

Our second round of world history is pretty far away so we'll see what the options are then. Right now, I'm leaning toward using SWB's series, heavily supplemented with VP selections.

I will keep the kids together for everything but math and language. My oldest is exactly 3 years and 3 months older than my youngest (they are each about 19 months apart) so I think this will work well for us. It will look different to everyone in the end though. DD will end up having a free history year when she's a senior and this cycle is over. We'll fill that with government or a whirlwind study of something, I guess. For ds4, the cycle will actually be the opposite of this (four years of world, 2 years of American, 4 years of world, 2 years of American with a free year at the end also. That is the dirty little secret of the four year cycle anyway. Unless your kids are spaced a perfect 4 years apart or unless you want to keep them separate for history (:willy_nilly:), not everyone can have the prized perfect set of three four year history cycles. It's not worth the stress, that's for sure!

I'm doing a lot of self-evaluation as we close in on the end of our first year but history is one subject I feel very good about. :001_smile:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Well, thank you. :blush: I hope my follow-up lives up to your expectations but it's pretty cut and dry.

For our first two years of American history, we're not using a curriculum (I bought WP AS1 but was not happy with it). I pick living books (lots of bios) and we're reading them as sort of a chronological unit study. I pull books from every curriculum out there (favorites are VP, AO, Sonlight). We do mapwork and a timeline using Homeschool in the Woods maps and figures. I use WWE and choose my passages and copywork from our history books. We do lots of hands-on activities and recipes and the kids like to pretend play the themes we're reading about. I have to say one of my favorite parts of our history study is the music. I try to play music appropriate to the era every day and it's so much fun. I'm planning for our second year right now and I'm having way too much fun with the music!

For our first round of world history, we will use SOTW basically the same way we do American. However, the majority of our supplementary reading will focus on the rest of the world. I have considered (and not ruled out) buying TOG to use for the two world history rotations but I'm a little disappointed (for my particular needs) by the heavy emphasis on American history. I guess when you're trying to fit it all into three cycles, it's hard not to make that the focus.

For our second round of American history, we will use Hakim's History of US. I will probably buy the junior high/high school guides for this and, of course, supplement with additional reading. I would also really like to do a concurrent or summer study of comparative history texts (William Bennett vs. Howard Zinn). :boxing_smiley: Should be a rollicking good time. :lol: We won't have to flesh it out, just enjoy the rumble and learn about point of view.

Our second round of world history is pretty far away so we'll see what the options are then. Right now, I'm leaning toward using SWB's series, heavily supplemented with VP selections.

I will keep the kids together for everything but math and language. My oldest is exactly 3 years and 3 months older than my youngest (they are each about 19 months apart) so I think this will work well for us. It will look different to everyone in the end though. DD will end up having a free history year when she's a senior and this cycle is over. We'll fill that with government or a whirlwind study of something, I guess. For ds4, the cycle will actually be the opposite of this (four years of world, 2 years of American, 4 years of world, 2 years of American with a free year at the end also. That is the dirty little secret of the four year cycle anyway. Unless your kids are spaced a perfect 4 years apart or unless you want to keep them separate for history (:willy_nilly:), not everyone can have the prized perfect set of three four year history cycles. It's not worth the stress, that's for sure!

I'm doing a lot of self-evaluation as we close in on the end of our first year but history is one subject I feel very good about. :001_smile:

Thank-you so much for sharing!! It is food for thought and my brain will chew on this idea tonight (and tomorrow and Saturday and . . . :D).

I did discover that "dirty little secret" when I wrote out my master plan. It only works out "perfectly" for one kiddo (unless there are twins :) ) . . . sigh.

I have to come to a place of decision soon . . . :D There is a school year to plan and it's nearly June!!!

I thought that we would get through SOTW 4 this year but didn't...so we will have to finish next year. We spent a month on the Civil War. I just thought it was too important to glance over and I also added in topics such as the women's suffrage movement. It really bothered me that this was not more fully included in SOTW considering the importance of the movement and its impact on the lives of women and families. Anyways, I think that the history cycles can be tweaked according to your needs and interests.

Lesley

I love these posts, they contain lots of good food for thought. One more thought - you don't have to have a cut-and-dried plan now that you stick with 'til the end - things can change and shift as life happens, kids grow and interests deepen.

For example, we are basically on the four-year history plan that I started with ds12 when he was in 1st. However, an older dd was doing American history during the second year of the cycle, and I was just too ADD trying to do those two time periods at once. We stopped SOTW 2, picked up a Beautiful Feet Early American history package used, and truly enjoyed learning together that year - her with Hakim's History of US, and ds with BF. The following year we finished American history with a WP package, and the next, jumped back into SOTW at the beginning, as I now had two new first graders in our school.

I have felt rushed at times, and have to remind myself that:

- I am in control of the curriculum, not the other way around, and

- I don't have to finish everything every year - I can leave some things out, go on rabbit trails, or pick some things up the following year. Either way, I am confident they will get MUCH more than they would in public school.

For example, we used Biblioplan for two years, which arranges WTM suggestions in a more unit-study sort of way. We loved the in-depth study it allowed of each culture and the books they chose. At this point, however, we want to know what's happening all over the world at the same time, and have loved the coverage MFW is giving us. We may or may not finish everything this year, because the ds are fascinated with the Oregon trail, with Native Americans and with pioneer life, so I am using some materials from that year with WP to flesh it out, slow down, and take time to enjoy it. We look forward to finishing the cycle in the fall, and may take a year to do a study of countries and cultures before starting again.

Blessings to you on your journey. Trust yourself!

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 7