Menu

Anyone Use the Calvert School Curriculum?

Blueridge

I've used PK, K, parts of 1 and parts of 2. We all loved K. 1 and 2's reading was good for a season, the math was a bust for us, science and history were very dry. I wouldn't recommend trying to do more than 2 levels that are teacher intensive and even 2 will consume most of your day. It's hard to combine kids for content subjects and the TM layout isn't conducive to switching around individual subject's work.

Thank you for sharing that. I was snooping around the Calvert site, looking for a spelling program, and peeked at their placement tests. When I saw them, I starting feeling very, very inadequate. My children would be 'behind' grade levels, by Calvert standards. So, I am sad right now, and wanting to bring them up to where they honestly should be. I'm a warm-fuzzy kind of teacher, but I have really let things slip...:001_unsure:

Calvert has been critiqued in a number of posts which I have read here.

My opinions are primarily negative, based on using several grade levels of Calvert. Nearly all of the materials I find pedestrian and markedly below grade level of other programs.

We used Calvert in 3rd grade three years ago. Our experience of it was mixed.

Some aspects, like the reading books and phonics, were WAY behind where my dds were at the time. Other aspects, like the science, were really dry, and they didn't enjoy them at all, although it was the right level for them, academically. Our main problem, though, was one of scheduling: we have a 4 day school-week, with co-op on Fridays, and Calvert is SET for a 5 day week. As a result, it required MAJOR tweaking for it to work at all, and even then it wasn't great.

Overall, while I thought beforehand that it would be easier and faster than pulling my own stuff together, and would save me work, it turned out that none of those things were true, and I kinda regretted having bought it.

Now, none of this is to say that it wouldn't work really well for someone else--clearly, Calvert has many happy customers. :D And the teacher's manual is the best in the business, IMO. But for us, the negatives outweighed the positives. Good luck in your decision!

...Overall, while I thought beforehand that it would be easier and faster than pulling my own stuff together, and would save me work, it turned out that none of those things were true, and I kinda regretted having bought it...

Thank you for this. I'm probably being too hard on myself...it's been a long day. Those Calvert teacher's manuals look so lovely, so complete, so organized. It was their test's *composition* component that gave me shivers. They said a 4th grade student should be able to write a composition of approx. 100 words. My youngest cannot do that, not even close. So, writing and spelling are a sinking ship this year. They do, however, have a WTM-style coverage of history, so all is not lost. :)

...but I have really let things slip...:001_unsure:

I have done the same, as I am sure so have many others. Don't beat yourself up! One of the joys of hsing is to be able to move things around, focus where we need to focus and draw back where things are sufficient. I am sure you are doing a great job! :D

I am using Calvert's third grade right now. I won't be using it for fourth though. The science, reading, and social studies are all from school textbooks, although we will be reading an actual book later in the year.

Don't be intimidated by their composition program. Basically they give you a journal prompt, and you help your child write a few sentences. I am not impressed. In fact, I dislike it so much that we've just done a mid-year switch to Write Shop Primary. I changed out their art too. I do like the spelling and math though.

I have been tempted by Calvert for many years, but never took the plunge, choosing to continue my own eclectic mix. Yes, the manual looks so inviting, everything all planned out...

This year, I was fortunate to find a used 7th grade set, and gave it a try. It was fine. The grammar and composition was decent, the literature selections were wonderful, and the manual does have a lot of additional discussion questions and activities (maps to label, charts to fill in, etc.)

My ds's only complaint, was that he would have preferred living books for history. He loved all 4 volumes of SOTW, but did not enjoy using a textbook for history. I was thinking it would be good practice for him to get used to using textbooks in prep. for HS. Now I am thinking, he will learn in HS, let him use as many living books as he can for as long as he can.

All in all, it was a decent "traditional academic" program, and having the manual was convenient. For the price I paid used, it was worth it. However, I would never pay full price for a Calvert program. It might be helpful for a new homeschooler who is unsure of the curriculum choices that are out there and how to schedule and plan her homeschool. In my case, after years of perusing, selecting and scheduling curriculum, a pre-planned manual just wasn't worth what Calvert charges (about $400 above the cost of the texts alone). It was easier than doing it myself, but I would prefer to spend a couple weeks planning in the summer, and save that $$ for more real books!

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I'm still torturing myself LOL. I've spent several hours at the Calvert site today, just looking around. I also listened in to a webinar they were hosting this morning, which was very interesting. Yes, their prices have really gone up, but now they have all sorts of interactive internet programs and things that my kids would probably love. Who knows? I've done my *own thing* for so long...but I am so tired. :tongue_smilie: The curriculum fairs don't hold the same allure they once did. I used to spend weeks and weeks all curled up with coffee and catalogs, making out my master plans. I just don't seem to have the mental energy to do it anymore, kwim? So maybe I am thinking that it would be a better option to buy a complete package so I don't have to figure it all out this time. Well ladies, thank you again for your valuable input!

Used Calvert in a Florida Virtual School and it was very tedious with tons of workbook work. The math program for K and 1st was adequate and my children liked it. However the social studies and science are obviously secular and heavily humanistic. We pulled out of the Virtual School very quickly after we began to notice that.

Blessings,

Hope

If you're looking at Calvert, have you considered K12?

:iagree: I've heard many, many good things about K12 (overall). I'm periodically tempted by it - mostly when I start worrying that we're not doing enough or, like now, when I can't figure out what curriculum to use for next year. One nice pretty box sounds lovely. :001_smile:

Let me preface this with, my kids attend public school. I am a homeschooler, out of necessity because our public middle school is chaotic and failing.

I have been using Calvert 7th grade with the ATS since January. We pulled our son out of public school and I was 38 weeks pregnant with #5, so I needed everything to be planned out and easy.

The transition was bumpy for me. I felt completely overwhelmed. My son however, has done FANTASTIC with it. He took the ball and ran. He can follow the lesson manual himself and I go over things with him and check each subject as he goes. We have a lot of discussion about subject material and have really enjoyed each other's company. I have been very pleased with all that he has learned in the 4 months that we have been doing it. He is diagramming sentences (something he never did in public schools). His math habits have improved tremendously. Spelling stopped at 5th grade in public school. He was a terrible speller before we began Calvert and now he takes pride in his spelling and has gained confidence. He is writing 2 or 3 compositions every 4 weeks to send to his Calvert teacher for grading.

We began at the beginning of 7th grade in January. After the placement test and it was determined that he had weaknesses in Grammar and Composition. I will admit that it is textbookish and dry, but my son was used to that coming out of public school. He really enjoys the science and history lessons.

For us it works. I sometimes wish that we didn't have the ATS, because I feel pressure to keep up a rigorous pace, however, it has forced us to keep on task. Next week, we are coming up on the 1/2 way point of 7th grade.

I do love the teacher's manual and I think the lessons are planned out very well. They tie the subjects together where they can, and we have really enjoyed that aspect.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 5forMe

If you're looking at Calvert, have you considered K12?

No, I guess that's something else I can look at!

... the social studies and science are obviously secular and heavily humanistic. We pulled out of the Virtual School very quickly after we began to notice that.

Yikes, I didn't know that. Not good.

... One nice pretty box sounds lovely. :001_smile:

Oh, yes!

...The transition was bumpy for me. I felt completely overwhelmed. My son however, has done FANTASTIC with it. He took the ball and ran. He can follow the lesson manual himself and I go over things with him and check each subject as he goes. We have a lot of discussion about subject material and have really enjoyed each other's company. I have been very pleased with all that he has learned in the 4 months that we have been doing it. He is diagramming sentences (something he never did in public schools). His math habits have improved tremendously. Spelling stopped at 5th grade in public school. He was a terrible speller before we began Calvert and now he takes pride in his spelling and has gained confidence. He is writing 2 or 3 compositions every 4 weeks to send to his Calvert teacher for grading...

That is so nice to hear. Thank you all!

Sorry to pull this up a few days late, but I was doing a search, it popped up, & I felt the need to respond.

I used Calvert for pre-K & K. As others have said, I think it would be difficult to use it for so many kids at different grade-levels. The manual is fabulous IF you want to follow it to a T. If life gets in the way & you don't finish that day's lessons, it's hard to play catch-up (you'll be flipping back & forth between multiple lessons & it gets confusing fast!!!!). Social studies and science were extremely dry & boring -- yes, even at the pre-K and K level!

We switched to K12 this year & couldn't be happier. I already ordered 2nd grade for next year. Price-wise it's comparable; in fact, they offer better sibling discounts than Calvert so it may come out less expensive. For my 2 kids for next year for an annual subscription for 4 classes each & all of the books & shipping, it came out to around $1,500. I did get a discount though -- they run a promotion in April where their families get a decent discount for re-enrolling. I think in May they usually offer a discount for new families. I took advantage of that last year :001_smile: The history program -- at least for first grade -- rocked!!!!! I think they model their history program after SOTW for the first 4 years. The schedule is much easier to manage than Calvert's. If you don't get to math one day, that day's math just slides into the next math slot. If you want to do 3 history lessons because you get into it, the schedule readjusts. It's very easy to keep track of the progress your kids are making as well. You can view the progress and calculate the end-dates. For an anal-retentive planner (me! me!!!) it works well.

The way the subscription plan works is you get a subscription for X amount of classes/student/year. If it takes you 9 months to get through history, you still have 3 months left on your subscription. You can start the next level of history or take another class like music or something, and all you have to buy are the books (often you can get them elsewhere for less $$$$$). History, science, music, & art are scheduled 2X/week, so many families will get a subscription of 4 classes, take LA, math, and then 2 of the 2-day/week classes for 6 months, and then pick up the other 2-day/week classes once they're done. It's an expensive program, but there are definitely ways to save $$$$$ doing it. I like it so much better than Calvert. I'm never going back :D

Have you joined the Calvert forum? The ladies are very nice and helpful.

I used the lower grades and really liked it. It was what I needed at the time. The lesson manuals are very organized. We didn't continue with Calvert though because it's expensive.

I think I'm one of the few that liked it;)

We used Pre-K, K, 1st and two kids used the 2nd grade. I'll admit I dropped the Pre-k & K but did continue with the three older kids using the 1st & 2nd grade.

My kids loved the math.

Guest HSTwoOFMine

I, too, was searching for info on the Living Books Curriculum and found this thread. I have been using Calvert since pre-k and my DS is in 3rd. We have finished for the year and he did pretty well. I loved Calvert up until this year. I found the Social Studies torturous! Boring and really dry as others have said. This is the first year I am actually thinking of switching. I really like the lesson manual. What everyone here has said I will echo. It's all well laid out. It is expensive. It is hard to do with multiple grades, even 2. It really isn't customizable...and if you are going to try and customize it, why should you pay all that money? The only thing you can customize is if you want math and what level. Calvert is not a match for my dd and we had to drop 1st grade. I may use parts of it next year for her. I think the math is pretty good. The spelling and phonics were decent and DS enjoyed mythology. I found the reading textbook questions obnoxious. They didn't even provide answers and I had to have an education counselor type them up for me. The answers were NOT always obvious and some answers were so off the wall to me. We also enjoyed geography but that was only for the first half of the year.

ATS is too much pressure! The tests are every 20 lessons and they test on everything! DS could not remember all that stuff at one time! So if you have ATS, you really can't customize since you need to be able to test on all the subjects. If I do Calvert next year, I will get the test series and test and grade myself at our own pace. We do a weekly co-op also and it was really tough to keep up with Calvert. I also don't understand how they lay out the lessons sometimes. One day there is social studies AND science and the next day neither. Why schedule them on one day? Why not allow time to focus on each one individually since they require so much time? We switched that ourselves. I found the science experiments to be weak.

They do provide lots of computer links (some don't work) as well as on-line math supplemental games and spelling. DS did enjoy those.

I do feel DS got a good education, I just don't feel like the whole thing was enjoyable. So I am looking to see if I can find something that still gives us our grade level challenges, but is more rich and interesting.

Thank you! After the responses I got here, and reading all the reviews I could locate, I decided to ditch the Calvert idea altogether. It may be a wonderful, rich program, but not for us. We decided to use HOD and some of the lovely elements of SCM for the fall. So glad this decision was finally made!