Menu

This is what I get for not checking pockets.

I don't check pockets when I wash clothes, and have had many odd things fall out of my dryer, but this is the oddest.

Yesterday morning my house stunk (even my dh wondered what it was). I had laundry sorted in baskets on the main level so I could catch up, but this wasn’t just a normal smell. I narrowed the stink down to the jeans the boys had worn the day before and were supposed to wear again. I threw them in with the rest of the jeans and washed and dried them. The stink in my house went away.

I opened the dryer to fold the jeans, and a huge stink bug fell out and landed on its back. It had lint stuck to its antenna and legs. And it was still kicking. However, it no longer stunk. I guess the trip through the washer and dryer washed the stink right out of him.

Eeewwww!

I don't check pockets either but so far the worst thing that has gone through a wash and dry cycle has been strawberry lip balm. The clothes were a little pink in places but at least they smelled good.

(And no I didn't leave it in my pocket, my dh did!)

I don't count the time I left my cell phone in my pocket because it only went through the wash. Maybe if I had put it in the dryer it wouldn't have been ruined. :lol:

Stink bugs are really? And they're really stinky? Wow! We live in the land of hardly-any-bugs. I had no idea.

Does this mean you have a bug collector in the house?

Once when my youngest was about five, he said, "Remember when I was just a little guy and I used to put worms in my pockets?'' :svengo: Actually, no, I did not remember that. All those poor worms and their watery deaths.

Sometimes it's better if you don't know what's in those pockets.

Stink bugs are really? And they're really stinky? Wow! We live in the land of hardly-any-bugs. I had no idea.

Does this mean you have a bug collector in the house?

Once when my youngest was about five, he said, "Remember when I was just a little guy and I used to put worms in my pockets?'' :svengo: Actually, no, I did not remember that. All those poor worms and their watery deaths.

Sometimes it's better if you don't know what's in those pockets.

:iagree: :lol:

I called dh and told him a beetle fell out of the dryer and was still alive. He asked if it was a stink bug and I said I didn't know, but the boys said it was. He then informed me that was the smell that was in the house (he kept saying it was a familiar stink when he was home :lol:). I saved the bug in a container and he told me it was, indeed, a stink bug. I never would've made the connection without him--I had no idea stink bugs were that big or that stinky.

:iagree: :lol:

I called dh and told him a beetle fell out of the dryer and was still alive. He asked if it was a stink bug and I said I didn't know, but the boys said it was. He then informed me that was the smell that was in the house (he kept saying it was a familiar stink when he was home :lol:). I saved the bug in a container and he told me it was, indeed, a stink bug. I never would've made the connection without him--I had no idea stink bugs were that big or that stinky.

~shudder~

I just googled "stink bug." Oh, you are a brave, brave woman. I would have called my husband and asked him to come home to deal with it, if I'd seen wiggling antennae. (And he would have.)

~shudder~

Seems like I heard this one on these boards a long time ago, but there was a gal (who had a couple of brothers, if I remember correctly) whose mom chose not to check pockets. Her logic went something like this...

"I'd much rather reach in and find a clean, dead snake than a dirty live one."

I always think of that when checking pockets!

(If anyone remembers who said that, please chime in!)

I don't count the time I left my cell phone in my pocket because it only went through the wash. Maybe if I had put it in the dryer it wouldn't have been ruined. :lol:

Yes, it would have. In the last year I have washed 3 cell phones. Fortunately, they were cheapie prepaids that I could actually replace (with a new phone that came with 300 minutes) cheaper than I could buy 300 minutes to add to them.

As for the stink bug...eew.