Menu

Apparently MUS does work for advanced students.

Ok, this is both a kudos to MUS and a brag post. I've heard that MUS isn't comprehensive enough. I've heard that MUS can cause students to score low on standardized tests because the sequencing so different from normal. It seems that everyone defaults to Singapore for advanced students, but I couldn't wrap my head around it enough to teach it. I just wanted to say that MUS can be GREAT for advanced students.

DS8 just took his annual assessment. We use the MAP, which is a computerized adaptive test. It tests a wide range of levels, rather than just the grade level of the student. In fact, it can test grades 3-12 with the one test.

So, DS8 who is using MUS (currently finishing prealgebra) with a little Math Olympiad Contest Problems to supplement, scored 244 on his math test. Per the test's norms, this is above the 99th percentile for 2nd grade (his age), 3rd grade (his official grade), and 4th grade. In fact, it is the 55th percentile for 11th grade. The "numbers and operations" subscore, given as a range, is 79-96th percentile for 11th grade.

Yea, I think MUS is awesome.

Absolutely.

My son finished MUS Zeta at age 9 and scored at the >99.9 percentile for math calculation on the WJ-III, and, according to the tester, was at the adult level.

This says quite a lot about the adult level, if you want to know my opinion.

This says quite a lot about the adult level, if you want to know my opinion.

I agree. I expected him to score somewhere around 8th grade because that's when, I thought, most public school students take prealgebra. I did not expect 11th grade since we haven't done high school math yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think MUS is great for young ones who are advanced in math. Mine have always used MUS (but always a few levels ahead of grade level) and always scored very well. And math is their least favorite subject. Mine are more language oriented.

Clear instructions, just enough problems to show mastery, and easy to accelerate- sounds good to me.

So, DS8 who is using MUS (currently finishing prealgebra) with a little Math Olympiad Contest Problems to supplement, scored 244 on his math test. Per the test's norms, this is above the 99th percentile for 2nd grade (his age), 3rd grade (his official grade), and 4th grade. In fact, it is the 55th percentile for 11th grade. The "numbers and operations" subscore, given as a range, is 79-96th percentile for 11th grade.

Yea, I think MUS is awesome.

Wow, good job Mom and ds!

But- here is the question...

Do you plan to continue next year with MUS Alg?

Mandy

Guest ToGMom

YAY!! Just wanted to say, "Thank you", for sharing your experience with MUS...too many times people dismiss MUS as a program for kids that struggle...you are a great testimony to the strengths of a great program. (Have you considered sending your testimony to MUS?? They *LOVE* stories like yours and usually use them in their newsletters.)

We love MUS and will continue to use it through high school!! :)

:party: I think this is great, and I hope you send your story along to Mr. Demme. It just goes to show that a mathy dc is going to do well with whatever works for him or her, and there's NOTHING wrong with that!!! It also makes me even more happy that we've used this here, even if not alone. In our house, though, when I tried MUS alone for my middle dd it was clear that she needed SM to go with it, and I can only recommend based on what has worked for us. But everyone of us has to stick to our guns about what works in our homes regardless of what the majority says, so kudos to you for doing what you knew was best for you, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Edited by Karin