Menu

New small group at church. Not only are we the only homeschoolers

But all, except one, of the other mothers are public school teachers! :001_huh: LOL And the one mom who's not a teacher sends her kids to public school.

I knew that we were the only homeschooling family in our church, which is really odd, because HSing is HUGE around here. I have never been the only homeschooling mom in any other church or other group setting because there are so many of us in this area.

Anyway, the new small groups started meeting last night and I just had to laugh that we were paired up with three PS teachers.

My older sons are the two oldest kids there, and I already heard comments about how helpful they were with the little kids and how polite they were. So maybe it's a good chance to "represent" for the homeschoolers of the world! :)

You may find the public school teachers very accepting of your choice. My husband is a public school teacher and is 100% behind homeschooling. As a matter of fact we find a lot of support among our public school teacher friends. I wish I could say the same thing about all of our friends. :glare:

I hope you have a good experience. Maybe it's a good chance for them to "represent" the public school teachers of the world. LOL.

Some of our biggest supporters are teachers! Dh's family is represented by several teachers, even a principal, and it's all cool with them! They could surprise you, so don't yet assume they will be judging you negatively. They might not. If they do, you can come vent. lol :001_smile:

Thanks, guys. I hope it's not an issue! They're all very nice, and I can kind of relate to them in that I taught art at a private school for a year (grades K5-6th).

I think it just feels so odd because, as I said in the OP, I'm used to there being at least one more HSer in most of the group settings I'm in. (I know I'm lucky to live somewhere that's the case--I know that some of you are very isolated as HSers in your community.)

Anyhow...thanks again for the replies.

My husband is also a public school teacher. :D

In fact, it was originally his idea that we homeschool! ;)

You may find they are very supportive and understanding. Or, maybe not. The most flack we get is from DH's coworkers. :001_huh:

You may find the public school teachers very accepting of your choice. My husband is a public school teacher and is 100% behind homeschooling. As a matter of fact we find a lot of support among our public school teacher friends. I wish I could say the same thing about all of our friends. :glare:

I hope you have a good experience. Maybe it's a good chance for them to "represent" the public school teachers of the world. LOL.

:iagree:

I used to be a ps teacher. As much as it might seem otherwise, ps teachers are not *the enemy* and nor do they view hsers as *the enemy." We all want kids to succeed. Plus you may gain some great insight and ideas from them.

I know a lot of ps teachers and have found I get a higher percentage that are supportive than I do with ps parents. I think it is because they have a better understanding of education. They don't see homeschooling as an impossible task. I do find a few that are openly hostile. I just figure they feel threatened and try not to take it personally.

DS's 2nd grade teacher (for the first half of the year) fully supported my decision to homeschool and told me that if she weren't a single mom she would HS her own DD.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

I wonder if they put you in that group because they know you are a teacher too.