Menu

Spelling for a 4.5 year old??

My DD (4.5) LOVES to spell. Her favorite game in the car is to ask me how to spell words and then clap and say "That is correct" into her imaginary microphone. Lately I've been turning simpler words back and making her spell them. I think she would really enjoy starting a spelling program, but most of the suggestions I see are for 7-8 year olds. My DD is slightly advanced, can read CVC words and some other words, plus doing addition and subtraction with no formal instruction, and generally picks up everything quickly, but I don't want to overwhelm her and turn something she loves into hard work!

Are there any spelling programs out there that are good for younger children, who aren't reading completely on their own?

We use AAS. My 4 y/o has been asking for "spelling". I just give him simple CVC words and he spells them with the tiles. If you don't want to invest in AAS I would just suggest letter tiles and simple words. It keeps them happy, but doesn't require "rules" to be learned so young. If you like AAS and think you'd use it I would highly recommend it.

Another AAS fan here :-). I think it would be a good fit because it's multi-sensory, and it uses letter tiles--so she wouldn't have to write everything. For younger kids it keeps spelling as something fun, and yet it introduces all of the rules in a systematic way. Plus, it incorporates phonics so it can help with reading too. I use it with older kids but wish I had had it when they were first learning! There's a link in my signature that shows some pictures.

Merry :-)

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here... I forgot I had posted! :D

Thank you everyone. I think we are going to continue with reading through the summer and add AAS in the fall. It seems like it would be a great program for us, especially since she is a somewhat reluctant writer these days, and still needs a reminder about how 1/3 of the letters are shaped. (i.e. I can write it on another piece of paper and she can easily replicate it, but has a hard time recalling it on her own)

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here... I forgot I had posted! :D

Thank you everyone. I think we are going to continue with reading through the summer and add AAS in the fall. It seems like it would be a great program for us, especially since she is a somewhat reluctant writer these days, and still needs a reminder about how 1/3 of the letters are shaped. (i.e. I can write it on another piece of paper and she can easily replicate it, but has a hard time recalling it on her own)

Oh, another good thing for kids in this stage--when you do have her write, have her write with her finger in sand or cornmeal, or on a carpet square, or on a baggie filled with shaving cream...Here's an article on tactile ways to practice spelling. She might also like using sidewalk chalk. And some of these will use more gross motor musles too, which is good for developing writing skills. Merry :-)