Menu

What math curriculum do/did you use for 3rd grade?

gevs4him

We just received our ordered material for RightStart math. It's a relatively new program based on the research of Dr. Joan A. Cotter, Ph.D. which she did for her doctoral thesis, I believe. So far, our 6yr old, almost 9yr old, and our 11yr old are all really enjoying the second level, which we started them all at due to the unique material and method of learning in this program.

I have been very impressed with the level of service from the people at RightStart; it is a US-based company, while I live in southern Alberta, and we had such an easy time getting our materials. There is even a Canadian edition that has the Canadian coins, etc., which is a fairly big deal to us, what with having to cover up the American coins with Canadian currency every time they would show up in a work page with our previous curric.(I know, it seems kind of trivial, but it was brilliant to me that this US company had thought of that for their Canadian customers!).

I'd be happy to answer any questions re. this material.

Nancy.

:iagree: Yeah, CLE Math is really good.

We're using Singapore Math, finishing up Singapore 2b and moving into 3a, 3b. We stopped for a couple of months during 2b to cement our addition/subtraction/multiplication math facts. Arrrrrgh....

We really like Singapore, but we've used it from the beginning and it seems to be working pretty well. I do suspect that it's about half a grade level ahead, though. :glare: None of my daughter's ps friends have even touched the stuff that we've completed.

We are finishing up 3rd grade and used CLE. I love how thorough it is and that my daughter gets math. I also love that it's easy to teach.

When I think about it, we add in Singapore's CWP. She loves word problems and can never have enough.

We switched from Saxon 3 to RightStart C in the middle of our 3rd grade year. While the initial costs for the program are high (includes manipulatives, card games, etc), it was well worth the expense as far as I'm concerned. RS has really helped ds get the "why" of math and has turned math into one of his favorite subjects.

What do/did you like about it?

Dislike?

Thanks

Lisa

We are almost done with Christian Light 3rd grade math. I LOVE it. It has really helped my non math daughter with her math. I love the daily flash card reviews (very easy for mom to keep up with) and the math fact section of each lesson. It is spiral so they learn and bit and review and learn a bit more and review, etc. That has worked great for my daughter.

Her math skills have come way up this year.

We use Teaching Textbooks. Ds loves it. I like that new concepts are well explained and older concepts are revisited frequently. I also like that it uses CD Roms and a workbook at the same time. I don't like that it's expensive, but for what ds has gotten out of it, it's worth it for us. We use Level 5 - which I feel starts out at a 3rd grade level and reaches the end of 5th grade by the last CD.

We started Singapore math in December. I wish we would've been using it all along.

I like that the lessons can be either in depth and thorough, or fast and easy. The home instructor's guide will give you so many ways to help cement the idea, but when he already understood something we could skip that and zoom to the workbook pages for more practice. Also, I did not have to buy manipulatives. That's huge for me. The price is already right, but coupled with the instructions for do-it-yourself manipulatives, the savings is HUGE.

We have been using Singapore from the beginning. I sometimes supplement with MEP, and I create extra word problems and do some real-life oral problem-solving based on what we have been covering in the text. DD had two terms of a great conceptual math class at our co-op that was by far the biggest hit here this year.

What do/did you like about it?

Dislike?

Thanks

Lisa

My plan for my son this fall is to use Singapore Standard Edition combined with CWP 3 (new standard edition version) and IP 3A and 3B(US edition). When we want some more variety, I also plan to supplement some with Russian Math 3(currently on order from University of Chicago) and some of MEP (free on internet).

What I like about Singapore is the way it encourages visually solving problems. The IP and CWP also get the student used to solving more difficult problems using bar diagrams and reinforce the ideas learned. I think there is great benefit in becoming comfortable with drawing pictures to solve problems.

I like the puzzle-like and visual problems in MEP.

I like Russian Math 6 so much that I am ordering Russian Math 3 just to check it out. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Good luck. :)

My third grader started homeschooling this year, she had been in public school since kindergarten. We did the RightStart Transition lessons first (which took several weeks) and then began RightStart Level D.

The lessons are both challenging and well-paced, and as scripted, they don't take more than a half hour. (We do four a week.) The functions / expectations are in line with what her peers are learning in PS, but I think that the strategies RS encourages allow a deeper understanding of the material than she'd receive in the classroom.

The RightStart games are terrific, always a hit, and for 'color' we have Skill Sharpeners, Building Thinking Skills, fun math sites, and games like Yahtzee at the ready.

Level E is sitting on the shelf already for next year -- so far so good!