Menu

Are these standard questions when looking for a 1-week vacation rental?

Our family is looking at vacation rentals in a specific town. We found one at craigslist and emailed the owner to inquire about availability, pictures, etc. After a few back & forth emails where he's looking for information but not really giving any, he sends a rental agreement attachment. He says that if we're serious about renting his place, we'll need to fill out the rental agreement (which includes things such as my dh employment, business references, checking & savings account information) and then come to see the house in question so he can meet us. The house we want to rent is 3+ hours away! Also, he's a stranger to us and we are not willing to give bank account information to a stranger.

While I realize he may have had a bad experience in the past & he's only looking for reputable renters, would you expect this for a one-week rental? Is it expected to provide this level of information? And would you drive 3+ hours to check out a vacation rental 3 weeks before the vacation? We've never rental a house before - we've always stayed in hotels so I'm not discounting that this may be standard and we're just not aware of it.

Thanks for your input.

I've only rented thru companies (vacation rental agencies) and no, none of that information was requested.

Same here.

I'd give up on this particular rental. Look elsewhere. (Spending a few more dollars now to go with a reputable company or broker will save you an awful lot over dealing with identity theft later on!)

I think that is excessive for this point of the game. I realize that the owner is probably legit and is just weeding out customers but I would feel uncomfortable giving that much information out.

Where are you looking to rent? Maybe some people here can give some suggestions about companies or places to rent.

I've rented houses from individuals five separate times, and I've never been asked for that information.

Pretty much the only information we've needed to provide (other than basic contact information) is information about the number and ages of the people staying in the house.

Contracts varied from place to place, as did the payment arrangements. It's not at all unusual to pay a security deposit which is returned at the end of the stay.

Although some of the owners were American, all of our rentals were oversees. We see the house for the first time when we arrive for our stay. Ditto for the owners or their agents.

Our family is looking at vacation rentals in a specific town. We found one at craigslist and emailed the owner to inquire about availability, pictures, etc. After a few back & forth emails where he's looking for information but not really giving any, he sends a rental agreement attachment. He says that if we're serious about renting his place, we'll need to fill out the rental agreement (which includes things such as my dh employment, business references, checking & savings account information) and then come to see the house in question so he can meet us. The house we want to rent is 3+ hours away! Also, he's a stranger to us and we are not willing to give bank account information to a stranger.

While I realize he may have had a bad experience in the past & he's only looking for reputable renters, would you expect this for a one-week rental? Is it expected to provide this level of information? And would you drive 3+ hours to check out a vacation rental 3 weeks before the vacation? We've never rental a house before - we've always stayed in hotels so I'm not discounting that this may be standard and we're just not aware of it.

Thanks for your input.

That is not appropriate. We have had a rash of fraudulant rental ads on Craigslist around here. I personally would not rent from that site. Call a realtor to find a rental.

He says that if we're serious about renting his place, we'll need to fill out the rental agreement (which includes things such as my dh employment, business references, checking & savings account information) and then come to see the house in question so he can meet us. The house we want to rent is 3+ hours away! Also, he's a stranger to us and we are not willing to give bank account information to a stranger.

Thanks for your input.

We are landlords and we don't ask for this kind of information for year long rentals! We do ask where they are employed and will even ask for a pay stub IF they have bad credit to prove they can afford the place but not business references! We've never asked for account info.

We've also rented houses for the week, and no this is not normal questions. I would NOT give this guy any information. Usually they just want the money and a security deposit. We've had them ask for a money order so they don't have to deal with out of state checks, but that is about all.

HTH

Melissa

I agree with you and everyone else that those questions are out of line.

Have you looked at Vacation Rentals By Owner? (VRBO.com) We stumbled upon the site when looking for a place to rent in Paris. We booked through the site (I believe it's an agency) and all we gave was a CC number & I believe home address. That's it. Most people have lots of photos of their place on their individual pages as well as a local contact number & e-mail address if you have questions.

We were happy with VRBO and will use them again when the need arises. (I'm in no way affiliated with them, just someone who is happy to have found an easy & secure way to rent a place!!)

Good luck!