Menu

How many hours of sleep to you get?

I am woefully tired these days and I'm trying to figure out if I'm just in need of more sleep as I get older ;) or if it's something else! I am in bed around 11pm and up around 7am. I would like to get up more like 5:30, but can't imagine getting to bed right after 9. How do you early risers do it? Thanks.

figuring that out would require math (adding up all those little groups of minutes) that I'm too SLEEP DEPRIVED TO DO RIGHT NOW!

*whimper*

Probably 4-6 lately. Not in a solid block.

When ds wasn't having sleep troubles, I went to bed around 11-12 and got up between 6-7. My goal is to be in bed at 11 and up at 5:45. Just as soon as he starts sleeping again...

sleep, then something may be preventing it from being restful, like sleep apnea.

Or - maybe you are low in iron.

Or - maybe you are just getting old :D

I suspect it is one of the former, actually.

JFS - about 7 hours but not solid sleep. I crash between 9 - 10ish and, after waking at least twice during the night, am up at 5:50.

I am woefully tired these days and I'm trying to figure out if I'm just in need of more sleep as I get older ;) or if it's something else! I am in bed around 11pm and up around 7am. I would like to get up more like 5:30, but can't imagine getting to bed right after 9. How do you early risers do it? Thanks.

Of course it could be that you need more sleep but I would ask your Dr. to have the lab run a TSH, just to check your thyroid. It's better to find out right away then let it get away from you. :001_smile:

Barring complications from insomnia, I try to be in bed asleep by 10, so I can get up at 6 or 6:30 without being tired still.

Are you exercising? I know for me exercising leads to better, more refreshing sleep. I am not exercising regularly right now, and even though I am getting my usual 8-9 hours, I am not waking refreshed as I did when I was exercising. I believe we actually need *less* sleep as we age.

I just had a physical 6 mo. ago and thyroid was fine then, but I will be back in 6 mo. to check it. My guess is that the sleep is not restful. I do exercise - 3 times a week plus walks/ bikes with children. I think I might just be stressed out! There is always more to do than I can seem to get done. I used to be able to stay up really late (like 4am) and get caught up. That is impossible now - I just don't recover easily from that.

Thanks for your responses, though. It is helpful to see that most of you get 7-8 hours of sleep.

not normal for me. I was at a hs meeting which always means it takes me a while to wind down afterward and I didn't leave until 11:30pm so it took until 1am to be ready for sleep. I'm usually in bed by 11pm if I'm not in a good book. I'm up everyday by 7:30am. I've always needed about 9 hours to feel rested but have made a pact with myself that regardless of how late I go to bed, I'm up at 7:30am. It gets easier the more I do it.

I go to bed around 10:30-11pm and am up by 7am (except the days I work which is twice a week and I have to be up at 5:45am). I do tend to wake a lot at night for no good reason except that I am a very light sleeper and often have difficulty falling back to sleep. I try to exercise during the day and it helps if I do.

Do you live in a northern climate? Is it cloudy often? Are you also dark complexioned? I was recently experiencing low energy, dragging my behind, very drowsy, etc. At my annual exam, I brought it up to MD, fully expecting to hear something dreadful OR the just eat, exercise & sleep better routine. Instead she tested me for vit D! Apparently in my area (northern) this is very common (MD claimed 75% of her patients were low or dangerously low since she started testing) during the winter, especially if you do not drink much milk. When I got my lab report back there was a prescription w/it for vit D in a mega dose dosage. I called to ask about it and she explained I was running on fumes. Since the first pill, literally, I feel 10x better.

I've always needed & have been able to sleep a straight 8 hours, with few exceptions, I prefer to get up early too but had trouble this winter.

Hope this helps (which it won't if you live somewhere sunny yr)... it sucks to not have energy--