Menu

Montessori Grammar Farm, please help me think this through

helena

My brain is a bit loopy today, but I've got this burning in my mind right now. I hope I've been somewhat clear in my thoughts and questions.

Here's the facts:

-I'm looking for a grammar program for my soon to be 3rd grader. I don't need anything long term because as soon as she's ready I'll start her on Cozy Grammar. I'm thinking she'll be ready in 4th grade.

-My mom (who own a M. school) has offered to let me use her Grammar Farm. She has the whole set including an awesome hand typed 1970s teacher manual :).

-She already does Primary Language Lessons and will continue to do so, moving on to ILL when it's completed. We love PLL and ILL, but my grammar is shamefully bad, and I'd like to spare them future hang-ups, doubling up on grammar a bit works fine for us.

-I know next to nothing about this farm or how to use it. It seems to use word cards to build sentences, and various symbols to identify parts of speech. I had been looking at Winston Grammar and it looks (a little bit) similar.

Okay, questions:

-Can anyone recommend a Montessori forum where I can ask some questions?

-Has anyone used a similar method?

-Did your child gain a solid understanding of grammar rules using a non-workbook method?

-Are there problems I'm not foreseeing by not using a straight forward Growing with Grammar type book?

-What do you think about learning symbols that represent parts of speech? Does it set it to memory or waste time?

-Any thought or suggestions?

Here are some photos of Grammar Farms:

http://www.nienhuis.com/language/function-of-words/the-farm-1.html

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mymontessorihouse.com/uploaded_images/Grammar-Boxes-Nienhuis-737341.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mymontessorihouse.com/2008/02/montessori-elementary-school-grammar.html&usg=__vyuzbre9ucUW6D6LpTpbbdIc_xw=&h=367&w=367&sz=23&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=830_g-Ey_mfSqM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=122&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmontessori%2Bgrammar%2Bboxes%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1

For what it's worth, I think my daughter would enjoy this type of approach.

Thank you so much for any input! :)

Okay off to read my teachers manual (and think about all the botany stuff I want to borrow from my mom as well :D)

There is one member here who uses the Montessori grammar boxes, though not the farm. Here is her post (link).

I have the DIY grammar symbols and plan to use them with dd soon. I think it is possible to DIY some of the grammar material. You may post your queries to the foll. Montessori-specific Yahoo groups; the members there are very helpful.

playschool6 - for Montessori homeschool help

montessorimakers - mainly for DIY info, but you may also post your queries

mm_share - for sharing Montessori printables

Edited by nansk
Added link

I'm not sure anyone around here would be able to afford one of those grammar farms, so you probably won't find anyone with experience using it!

Rosie

Hmm..I'm not sure what to make of your response? You seem a bit miffed.

I wasn't thinking anyone would have these handy, I was just looking for input on hands on, tactile, memorizing symbols type stuff.

Anyhow, it looks like people make their own grammar farms because they like the theory of teaching it. I'm just the opposite I have the farm, but I'm wondering about this type of theory.

Do you think it helps to memorize symbols that represent parts of grammar?

What has been your experience with teaching grammar? Have you tried a more hands on approach? I've been using the same two things over the years to teach it, so this kind of work is new to me.

The farm itself is a little young for a 3rd-4th grader. However, the Montessori symbols are neat ways of parsing a sentence, and the grammar boxes are also a nice, hands-on way of approaching it.

That's what I was thinking too. I just asked her what she thought of it, and she said "As long as it's fun grammar and I can play with the animals".

She's a little (lot :)) on the young side.

Hmm..I'm not sure what to make of your response? You seem a bit miffed.

This would be a strange thing to get miffed over, wouldn't it? I had noticed your post sitting there unanswered for a bit and typed mine firstly to suggest why you might not be getting responses, and secondly to bump you so anyone who might have answers would see it.

What has been your experience with teaching grammar?

I haven't any experience in teaching anyone other than myself grammar. As you can see in my sig line, my eldest is only three.

Rosie

There is one member here who uses the Montessori grammar boxes, though not the farm. Here is her post (link).

I have the DIY grammar symbols and plan to use them with dd soon. I think it is possible to DIY some of the grammar material. You may post your queries to the foll. Montessori-specific Yahoo groups; the members there are very helpful.

playschool6 - for Montessori homeschool help

montessorimakers - mainly for DIY info, but you may also post your queries

mm_share - for sharing Montessori printables

Thank you for taking the time to find the post.

It sounds like she is in a similar situation. I'm not looking for a full curriculum, just to supplement. My daughter is crazy tactile, even at 8 she touches and tastes everything. In that way I think she'd actually have a good time with it. I'm going to spend some time reading Montessori blogs, maybe go back to my moms to look at the farm and boxes again. I'm starting to wonder if it's bigger than what I remember. I'm also wondering if I should just use my own little animal set and use it with her grammar boxes? Is that what you're planning to do?

thanks again for all the info :)

This would be a strange thing to get miffed over, wouldn't it? I had noticed your post sitting there unanswered for a bit and typed mine firstly to suggest why you might not be getting responses, and secondly to bump you so anyone who might have answers would see it.

I haven't any experience in teaching anyone other than myself grammar. As you can see in my sig line, my eldest is only three.

Rosie

Yes, it seemed an odd response, but obviously I misunderstood. My mistake.

I'm also wondering if I should just use my own little animal set and use it with her grammar boxes? Is that what you're planning to do?

Yes, I am a big DIYer (my dd is already using the Montessori movable letters and math bead material I made.) Dr Maria Montessori used whatever materials were available to her at that time; I am sure she would not object to us using different raw materials to make the manipulatives based on what is available/affordable to us in this present day :-)

I already have some farm animals in a box which I think I will use with the free grammar box material on mm_share. I refer to the Language album I downloaded from freemontessori.org. Plus, there are LOTS of Montessori blogs and web sites and the yahoogroups for help on how to use/adapt the materials.

What I like about Montessori is the concrete nature of every activity. So, for teaching prepositions (for example), one doesnt make the child mark the prepositional phrase on a worksheet, but rather, move the objects around to make the prepositional phrase true. It is very clear and direct and would make it easy for any child to understand. Due to the concrete manipulatives in every area of learning, it makes it easy to introduce the concepts even to very young children.

Sorry about the long reply but (as you can tell) I love Montessori.

Edited by nansk

The farm itself is a little young for a 3rd-4th grader.

Hmm...I wonder if it is too young for a 6 almost 7 year old. I know he would love it, so if you decide not to use it you could just bring it over here. I would love to try it out for you! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I currently have four kids in a Montessori school. Last year, in second grade, one of them used a workbook from here in addition to Grammar Box. I believe it was "Analyze and Symbolize." I'm intrigued by the "Literature for Grammar" series.

eta, I think that Grammar Box was all my dd used in her 1st-3rd Montessori classroom, and her foundation in grammar is excellent (I started hs-ing her in the middle of 4th).

Edited by wapiti

I'm building up our grammar farm right now, though I can only say WOW to the Nienhuis one. The beauty of the farm is its adaptability to multiple ages and purposes, so I do think you could use it, though perhaps only for demonstrations of principles to be applied elsewhere. We're building ours with Safari animal tubes, and perhaps the Melissa and Doug wooden barn if grandma gets it for the boys for Christmas. ;)

to do this....YOu can use a space setting (you know spaceships and planets) or a house setting or park setting or zoo or wow...thanks SPY CAR you have helped me tremendously by your comment. I can just start putting labels around the house (nouns) , add the articles, add the adjectives, add verbs, add adverbs...yeah yeah yeah...label parts of speech with the symbols...alright then. We can use our Star Wars lego sets too.

SHEESH!

I don;t need to make anything or buy anything..

Again, Spy Car you are the bomb!

Carolyn

Edited by happycc

to do this....YOu can use a space setting (you know spaceships and planets) or a house setting or park setting or zoo or wow...thanks SPY CAR you have helped me tremendously by your comment. I can just start putting labels around the house (nouns) , add the articles, add the adjectives, add verbs, add adverbs...yeah yeah yeah...label parts of speech with the symbols...alright then. We can use our Star Wars lego sets too.

SHEESH!

I don;t need to make anything or buy anything..

Again, Spy Car you are the bomb!

Carolyn

I'm glad to be helpful even when I'm (clearly) not trying :D

Bill

I use the grammar farm ........ but I made my own! I used a foldable fabric ikea barn toy (cost 15.00 I think and we already had it) and a few safaritoobs (farm animals, farm babies, horses) and the plan toys dollhouse garden toy. I got my printables from montessori printshop, printed them on cardstock and then laminated and cut them out. I have little tupperware style boxes labeled (noun, verb, adverb....)

The kids LOVE it!! it's like a game or toy to them which really helps them to absorb the information.

oh and we do have MCT too waiting a bit. Grammar farm works great for introducing youngers to grammar before they are ready for MCT. The olders love playing with it to tho LOL

I have a bit of Montessori 3-6 training, but haven't been using their materials for grammar (too many small parts with toddlers about).

We did incorporate the farm concept into our Latin lessons, though. :) For our "villa," we just took the people and animals from an old playset and made the buildings out of cardboard. It lives on a special shelf, and doesn't get played with when we're not practicing Latin. We haven't done much formal grammar yet, but it's been fun for vocabulary.

I've always been interested in the Montessori grammar farm. However, I'm not really sure how to use it. Can someone point me to a website, manual, or something that would explain how to use it?

Montessori materials tend not to be like other manipulatives that you can just pick up and use. There's a lot of theory behind them, and there are typically many simple but important lessons that precede the use of the fancier materials.

That said, Lori at "Montessori for Everyone" has a good overview of the grammar curriculum, including the farm. :)

Part 1: Grammar, What Is It Good For

Part 2: Introducing Grammar with Games and Activities

Part 3: Grammar Materials Bring Language to Life

Part 4: Doubling Your Grammar Materials With Simple Extensions

Montessori materials tend not to be like other manipulatives that you can just pick up and use. There's a lot of theory behind them, and there are typically many simple but important lessons that precede the use of the fancier materials.

That said, Lori at "Montessori for Everyone" has a good overview of the grammar curriculum, including the farm. :)

Part 1: Grammar, What Is It Good For

Part 2: Introducing Grammar with Games and Activities

Part 3: Grammar Materials Bring Language to Life

Part 4: Doubling Your Grammar Materials With Simple Extensions

Thank you so much for these links. I've been slowly easing into Montessori, so I'm eager to learn what I can. :)