Menu

Sock knitters--some advice for me?

I would really love to get into this, but I'm a beginning knitter. Would socks be too difficult a project to try? Is there a book, website, pattern that you'd recommend to me? When I say beginner, I mean I can knit and purl but don't have experience with many different stitches or projects. And certainly no experience with multiple/circular needles! I'd appreciate any ideas you can throw my way...even if just to say "Umm...better to avoid socks till you've made a few blankets!" :001_smile:

I taught myself to knit this past January, and have been obsessed with it since. I really had a need to try socks. I was told by more experienced knitters that most socks are done on double pointed needles, so I got a pair and a beginner book on sock making. So far I have just practiced using the double pointed needle to make small bags (great marble bags for the boys!). The heal part is still confusing, but at least I am practicing using the needles, they are very different from regular. Give it a try.

I, on the other hand, say go for it! I have a friend who wanted to make socks. She has done a lot of crochet, but only enough knitting to know how to cast on, knit, purl, and cast off. She said she'd only made one square.

To make it easier for her, I cast on a sock and knit a few rows to help stabilize the needles. She picked it up and was done in just a couple weeks! It was really amazing. (My first effort took 5 years to produce a sock. :tongue_smilie:) She said she had a lot of time waiting for her kids at their various activities.

I like the book Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. And the website www.knittinghelp.com.

To make getting started a little easier you might try using a sport weight yarn or even worsted weight (great for winter around-the-house socks). Ann Budd's book has recipes for all these different weights.

When I re-took up knitting I knew I wanted to make socks. And it took me several times of knitting and ripping out to get used to the dpn's but it was worth the effort. I love knitting socks!

Cinder

You can do this! My advice for beginner knitters is to use a toddler sock pattern with double-pointed needles no smaller than #3's. You'll have less stitches to keep track of but will learn all the fundamentals of sock knitting. Toddler socks knit up fast and make great practice for knitting adult socks. Here is the pattern I always recommend. It's how I started and now I knit my adult socks without a pattern. You can do it!

http://www.valleycafe.com/knitting/sock-pattern.html

Don't let double-pointed needles scare you. :001_smile:

It is *easier* if you're already familiar with certain stitches...but I made my first sock b/c a snarky employee at a yarn store told me I couldn't. I find that I am rarely bored knitting socks, especially lace pattern socks, b/c the pattern repeats aren't too long and confusing, but I'm doing enough different stitch types to keep me interested.

Here's my big caveat: Buy two sets of needles, and cast on both socks at the same time. Alternate working on one or the other. It is so hard to start the second sock once you've finished the first one, b/c all that determination to master the pattern is gone.

It is *easier* if you're already familiar with certain stitches...but I made my first sock b/c a snarky employee at a yarn store told me I couldn't. I find that I am rarely bored knitting socks, especially lace pattern socks, b/c the pattern repeats aren't too long and confusing, but I'm doing enough different stitch types to keep me interested.

Here's my big caveat: Buy two sets of needles, and cast on both socks at the same time. Alternate working on one or the other. It is so hard to start the second sock once you've finished the first one, b/c all that determination to master the pattern is gone.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

make sure you get the longer dpns too, longer to keep the stitches on easier. Wood is less slippery than metal.

You can do it!

Here's my big caveat: Buy two sets of needles, and cast on both socks at the same time. Alternate working on one or the other. It is so hard to start the second sock once you've finished the first one, b/c all that determination to master the pattern is gone.[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

make sure you get the longer dpns too, longer to keep the stitches on easier. Wood is less slippery than metal.

You can do it!

Ooh, good points. Just be aware that you'll eventually buy the shorter ones, when you get experienced enough that the longer ones start getting in the way.

I find that I am rarely bored knitting socks, especially lace pattern socks, b/c the pattern repeats aren't too long and confusing, but I'm doing enough different stitch types to keep me interested.

A fact that no doubt will be important to me as well!

It is so hard to start the second sock once you've finished the first one, b/c all that determination to master the pattern is gone.

Haha, yes. Sage advice since I have exactly one mitten sitting in my closet right now.

Well I do appreciate all the responses, those of encouragement and even the opposed! I think it might be worth trying just for the simple reason that it's a project I *like* and have a use for; I'd never wear a hat or scarf, and probably not use a blankie. So it's like learning the guitar; maybe it's better to start with acoustic and learn to read notes, but if it takes starting with electric and learning tablature...well, at least you're doing something.

I'm excited to try and feeling [probably a little too] optimistic!

Edited by Ms. Riding Hood

I will also say go for it! I re-taught myself to knit a few years ago, and made lots of afghans - started with crib size - and they got boring. So, I decided to try socks. At first, I did not think I was cut out to be a sock knitter, but I found a couple of really good beginner patterns.

Here is a great toddler sock pattern that uses size 4 dpns:

http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cPatterns.freePatterns&pattern_id=000025

Here is a great online sock tutorial, created specifically for new knitters:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

I also made Beginner Socks #9728 from Knitting Pure & Simple, and found them to be very easy to understand - and the best part was that you make them with worsted weight yarn so there were not seemingly thousands of tiny stitches to knit. :-)

I think you will find that if you want to knit something badly enough, you will find a way to do it. :D Don't knit things just to knit them - do something you want to finishQ

Second sock syndrome is a consideration. Once you've gotten comfortable with the whole idea of knitting socks, take a look at 2-at-a-Time Socks. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a very good idea to me. I prefer knitting socks with circular needles to dpns, because there are fewer needles to confuse things and fall out. Also, my toddler can't undo the socks nearly as easily from circular needles. Heh.

Also, my toddler can't undo the socks nearly as easily from circular needles. Heh.

This is a real consideration for me, too--but I watched a video with the circular needles, and they looked almost more confusing. :001_huh: But yeah, I'm afraid that my 2 year old would have those needles out all the time. I'd hate for there to be a mommy-meltdown over knitted socks. :tongue_smilie:

And *thank you* for this online video tutorial! It sounds like just what I need to baby-step me through the process!

Edited by Ms. Riding Hood

Great advice here. And just remember, until recently, ALL socks were hand knit. It's not rocket science - 5 year olds used to do it!:D

I tell myself this constantly, about everything: chickens, canning, baking, knitting, sewing. Seems to me like waaay more people should have been naked and starving to death if these things were all that hard to do...although there's something to be said for having an active community also doing these things...which applies to WTM as well, of course. I felt a pang this morning when I saw that thread about the child trying to "talk history" with his buddy.

I think you should go for it! I think it's best to knit your first pair of socks on worsted weight yarn (and bigger needles...most patterns call for a size 4-6 with WW yarn). The only tricky parts are getting used to the DPNs and turning the heal...and even they aren't too bad.

Go for it! I just learned to knit a few years ago from a friend who had just learned herself. I quickly got bored with scarves and hats but I convinced myself that socks would be too hard so I put it off.

When I finally got up the courage, thanks to some wonderful people on Ravelry, I realized I should have done it long ago. It was so much fun! To make it even more of a challenge, I did my first pair two-at-a-time, toe up, with magic loop using Judy Becker's Magic Cast On. It may have taken a little longer since I was learning so many new techniques all at once but I really enjoyed the process and was so proud of myself when done.

Use the many wonderful videos and tutorials on the net while enjoying a cup of coffee. Then put your feet up and admire your work!

I learned to knot socks with a 2 star pattern that has a proper heel and all. Do you have graded patterns in the u.S.? Many pattern books here have 4 stars and a 2 star pattern is just above beginner. Not so hard really.

I had knitted fingerless mittens for years before I tried socks. SO I wasnt a complete beginner. My first pair of socks seemed like a huge undtertaking..but very, very satisfying.