Menu

If Using TT Do You Supplement?

Well, I got all the info I needed from the other TT thread but still have a few questions.

My 10yr. dd will start TT6 as soon as it gets here. I'm still not sure if we will use it through high school but just in case we do I thought I would ask....

If you use TT (any of the grades) do you supplement? Do you not supplement? If you do with what? How do you supplement (schedule)?

Thank you,

I will be starting TT5 this fall. It will be our first time using the program and we are both looking forward to it. I do not plan on supplementing other than with multiplication games (Timez Attack, games on multiplication.com etc). This summer we're going to try out Times Tales. I'm hoping to get her a bit stronger with her multiplication tables as you can probably tell :) But other than that, I have no intentions of supplementing.

I'm also planning to get TT for my 9yo this fall. I don't plan to supplement. I'm getting it for 2 reasons and one of them is to free up my time to work with the youngers. This will be pointless if I still end up having to supplement. I am interested to hear what other experienced TTers have done.

:lurk5:

I am replying in the thread to give you a little bump more than anything. I told you what I supplement with in a PM. :)

It mainly depends on the child as to how much. My oldest only uses LOF in addition to TT, whereas my youngest dd uses quite a few things at this point. (CSMP, Miquon, Mastering Essential Math Skills, and some other workbooks that were given to us- Mathland etc.-but not all of anything) But my youngest is only doing TT part time. My youngest dd is still in third grade, has difficulty with math, and has started TT 5 very late in the last half of this year. Ds will start TT 5 sometime next year, in second grade. :tongue_smilie:

I am picking up a Singapore supplement for all of my children soon that will help teach strategies for speed using mental math. We will also probably return to reading books from Living Math and I would like to buy some actual board games that reinforce mathematical thinking.

So- short answer- yes, we do, with too many things! :w00t: :lol:

I supplemented with MEP. Next year I'm going to have my dd do TT5 and a MEP page each day. After every TT quiz I'm going to have her do a week of only Math Mammoth (no TT or MEP that week).

That sounds like a lot but we'll see how it works.

At some point, probably next year, I'm going to supplement with LoF or use that as a summer math.

Kelly

We use MUS along with TT up to Pre-Algebra. At that point, we will switch to a MUS and LOF Combo. I find that MUS gives the in depth teaching of a topic while TT exposes them to a variety of topics. But, TT is more our "supplement" with MUS being our main math. Clear as mud? :D

We use MUS along with TT up to Pre-Algebra. At that point, we will switch to a MUS and LOF Combo. I find that MUS gives the in depth teaching of a topic while TT exposes them to a variety of topics. But, TT is more our "supplement" with MUS being our main math. Clear as mud? :D

I do the exact same thing. TT is our supplement to MUS. My girls love TT and do it with ease. MUS is more challenging. We just started with MUS this year and I have them reviewing DVD's Alpha through Zeta and stopping when we have mastery issues. my Oldest will be doing MUS Pre Alg and TT 7 in the fall. I think this might be the last year for TT for her though. I have TT 5-7 so might as well use them:tongue_smilie:

Well, I got all the info I needed from the other TT thread but still have a few questions.

My 10yr. dd will start TT6 as soon as it gets here. I'm still not sure if we will use it through high school but just in case we do I thought I would ask....

If you use TT (any of the grades) do you supplement? Do you not supplement? If you do with what? How do you supplement (schedule)?

Thank you,

I supplement TT with Life of Fred and Larsen's combined Algebra 1 & 2. He uses TT as his spine and then fleshes out with the other 2 books. Larsen's is the same book that is used for Chalkdust and I was able to acquire the dvd set from Amazon using the ISBN's posted on the cheap chalkdust post.

I think I also may borrow the Teaching Company DVD's from the library this summer.

~~Faithe

I supplement TT with Life of Fred and Larsen's combined Algebra 1 & 2. He uses TT as his spine and then fleshes out with the other 2 books. Larsen's is the same book that is used for Chalkdust and I was able to acquire the dvd set from Amazon using the ISBN's posted on the cheap chalkdust post.

I think I also may borrow the Teaching Company DVD's from the library this summer.

~~Faithe

Do you have a link for Larsen? I googled but still could not find it.