Menu

Astronomy for a full year credit in high school?

I have been looking everywhere for a good Astronomy curriculum for high school. I can't really find much. Anything I do find is only half year, so I thought maybe I could buy two different Astornomy curriculums, they're both pretty cheap so no biggie. I want to get "Lift Your Eyes On High: Understanding the Stars" and Lifepac Select: Astronomy. I know Life your Eyes on High has a lot of essay suggestions in each chapter. And I will use both test sets. Life Your Eyes On High has about 5 chapters, while Lifepac has about 10-ish. If I had many essays and tests, and maybe lesson plans and projects from online, could I call this a full year course?

I just really want Astronomy as a full year course, but since there would only be about 15 chapters and they're pretty short, that's only 15 weeks if I do 1 chapter a day.

How can I prolong it, if at all?

Do you know of any full year Astronomy curriculum's for high school?

How would you turn a 1/2 year course like Lifepac Select: Astronomy into a full year course? Would you add Life Your Eyes On high, essays, and projects and call it a full year?

Well, we used Astronomy Today (the book, not the magazine). We only did a semester's worth, but you could use it for a full year. It actually comes in two separate volumes or in big book--the first book in the two volume set has a part that is common to both volumes and then goes into the Solar System. The second book has that common part (so you'd skip it, of course) and then launches into stars, galaxies, etc.

I don't have any experience with the ones you have looked at.

I'm planning to do a full year astronomy course for HS credit in a few years, using Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy from The Teaching Company. There are 96 half-hour lectures. We'll also use The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millenium as a text. I don't know what your budget is, but the course is currently on sale (not sure for how much longer, though), and I found an inexpensive used copy of the text on Amazon.

Jackie

I'm planning to do a full year astronomy course for HS credit in a few years, using Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy from The Teaching Company. There are 96 half-hour lectures. We'll also use The Cosmos: Astronomy in the New Millenium as a text. I don't know what your budget is, but the course is currently on sale (not sure for how much longer, though), and I found an inexpensive used copy of the text on Amazon.

Jackie

This is what we will be doing next year.

My senior is doing a full credit using the Wiley Self Teaching Guide, library books, and documentaries. We are counting star gazing as the "labs". She has written several short reports and one opinion essay. We are counting hours to back up the full credit.

I have just learned about the Astronomy Lifepacs in the past couple of weeks. If I had known they were available, we would have definitely used them!

We have decided to use the "Astronomy Today" texts that someone had mentioned earlier. My mother is going to come up with tests and projects and essays so along with the questions in the books, we're pretty sure it should equal a full year course.

I really was looking at the Astronomy Lifepac but it's only 1/2 year so we're just going to do the whole thing ourselves instead of adding onto Lifepac.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jackie

Wow, those look really good! I think that would DEFINITELY be worth a credit once those are done!

I want ds (soon to be 11th grade) to do a full year of Astronomy studies before he graduates (maybe this year). I'm glad I found this thread. Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. :-)

Just wanted to add regarding how to gain a full credit, it depends on the amount of time you spend studying a subject. Check your state's requirements -- it can vary a little by state -- and keep up with your time as you go along.

HTH!

~cocoa