Menu

Air travel with carseat aged kids-- some questions...

Here's the deal:

Our family of 8 is travelling across the country in a month or so; my youngest will be 2 and half months old. Am I really going to have to check a car seat and travel crib and stroller for him? I mean, yowza, have you seen how much it costs to check baggage these days? Not to mention, I have 2 other kids in car seats. Can I bring their car seats on the plane? Or do I have to check those?

Is there such a thing as car seat and stoller rental out there? If the baby were older, I would just buy an inexpensive umbrella stroller, but as it is, he can't sit up yet. So that's out.

Are there options out there I'm not aware of? Please broaden my horizons if there are!

The stroller and car seat can be checked for free for the baby even if he rides on your lap (I'm assuming this was your plan?). You can gate check the stroller if you want to use it in the airport. You also can bring a diaper bag for the baby that doesn't count against your carry-ons. The other kids can use their carseats on the plane if they are approved for airline use.

If you stay in a hotel, you should be able to get a crib. Not a great one, mind you, but a crib. Personally, and this is just me, I buy the baby a seat and then use an FAA [must say so explicitly on the seat ask me how I know. :glare:] car seat to use. The stroller is something you check at the gate. It is the last on the plane and the first off so you can grab it as you deplane. I typically only bring enough supplies for 2 days. [emergencies] I then purchase what ever I need at my destination. Diapers, wipes etc. The only time I didn't was Hawaii. Then I brought the entire baby store as I did not want to have to purchase anything there. I heard it was spendy.

I have heard that you can use baby carriers on the plane, but was told by an attendant not during take off and landing, which is when I would want it, if I had a lap baby. :glare:

HTH

I'd use an Ergo... or if you're visiting friends... borrow... or at a park... plan on renting. I'll tell ya... you can't go wrong with an Ergo!! (and with what you pay.. you're not too far behind with purchasing one! myfavoritebabycarrier.com and they have a 90 day money back guarantee!!)

And yes, I'd rent the carseat, too. Except for the baby. I always purchased seats for my son. For under age 2, there's usually the offer of half off. Well.... that's how it was 6 years ago...

:)

Oh, I forgot. A lot of times, where you rent a car, you can also rent car seats. However, they go fast so you need to reserve them early.

And AAA I think rents them as well.

Ooooh, AAA. I'll have to check into that.

I was planning on wearing the baby through the airport, so I didn't have to deal with the stoller thing. PJ is going to be a lap baby this trip. We didn't buy him a seat as I figured he'd just be attached by the lips the whole time anyway. But gate checking the stoller is probably the way we'll go.

Good info! I knew you guys would help me think through my sleep deprived, inadequately travelled state!

My 6 yo is in a booster, and my 3 yo is in a 5 point harness. You know they are part moose, so huge. We kinda thought about sticking 2 backless boosters in our suitcases and just using those during our trip. I have a reckless streak, what can I say. But maybe it would be better to find out if we could rent some *real* carseats. I don't really mind them not having carseats on the plane. If belts can't hold those 2 in their seats, we've got bigger problems than a carseat would cover.

I would not take a travel crib. Most hotel/motels have cribs available.

Hmmmm, half of our stay we will be in a condo (which we found on vrbo.com, as recommended by The Hive Travel Services ;)). I would just keep the baby in bed with me, but I think we'll be sharing a queen. And my husband pigs the bed.

:D

Maybe a dresser drawer????

I'd use an Ergo... or if you're visiting friends... borrow... or at a park... plan on renting. I'll tell ya... you can't go wrong with an Ergo!! (and with what you pay.. you're not too far behind with purchasing one! myfavoritebabycarrier.com and they have a 90 day money back guarantee!!)

And yes, I'd rent the carseat, too. Except for the baby. I always purchased seats for my son. For under age 2, there's usually the offer of half off. Well.... that's how it was 6 years ago...

:)

You know, I must be one of the only people alive who doesn't like the Ergo. My dear friend bought one for me one baby ago, and I just couldn't use it. I think my booKs took up too much room. Hee hee look at all those o's lined up in that sentence, isn't there something onomatopoeia-ish about that???)

And nope, no friends this visit. We don't know a soul who lives there.

Do theme parks rent strollers that are appropriate for tiny infants? I don't like to put my little guys in umbrella strollers when they can't even sit up yet. I imagine we'll need it other days than just our day at Busch Gardens, anyway.

When I flew with 2 kids in booster seats last year, I called the airline beforehand and was able to get both car seats checked for no added baggage cost. I just made sure I had the full name and phone ext of the person I talked to with me. Gate checking the stroller should be at no cost as well. I don't think any theme park would have any small infant strollers to rent, but I could be wrong. You could check their website or call the customer help line to find out for sure, though.

As far as a crib, I wouldn't try to check one.

Wishing you safe travels!

Hmmmm, half of our stay we will be in a condo (which we found on vrbo.com, as recommended by The Hive Travel Services ;)). I would just keep the baby in bed with me, but I think we'll be sharing a queen. And my husband pigs the bed.

:D

Maybe a dresser drawer????

A dresser drawer would work, but many places near vacation hot spots (why else would there be a condo there?) have places that rent things like baby cribs. Some condos even have baby cribs, but it should have been listed in the ad.

My 6 yo is in a booster, and my 3 yo is in a 5 point harness. You know they are part moose, so huge. We kinda thought about sticking 2 backless boosters in our suitcases and just using those during our trip. I have a reckless streak, what can I say. But maybe it would be better to find out if we could rent some *real* carseats. I don't really mind them not having carseats on the plane. If belts can't hold those 2 in their seats, we've got bigger problems than a carseat would cover.

Check to see if the 5 pt harness is approved for airplane use. (Mine is.) If so, you can use it on the airplane. (Just did this week.)

You won't be able to take a booster on the plane. In the past, I have squeezed mine into duffle bags and packed around them. I've also purchased travel bags for backless boosters and then packed clothes in the travel bag.

Oh, I forgot. A lot of times, where you rent a car, you can also rent car seats. However, they go fast so you need to reserve them early.

And AAA I think rents them as well.

I've never found a car rental place that will guarantee they'll have the car seats. You can request them, but there's usually a note that says they might not be available. :tongue_smilie:

I've never found a car rental place that will guarantee they'll have the car seats. You can request them, but there's usually a note that says they might not be available. :tongue_smilie:

The one time I tried to rent carseats with the rental car, they tried to give me a seat that I knew had been recalled and had an obvious crack in it.

FWIW, last time we flew I brought the carseat on the plane for ds2 to use. It caused WAY more problems than it solved, mostly because the tray wouldn't come down flat with the carseat installed. Thus, there was nowhere to eat or color or do any of the other fun activities I had planned. I had no idea this would be the case...not even on my radar. For whatever that's worth...

YOu need to be really careful when 'checking' carseats.

The airlines throw them around just like they do with the other luggage) and they can be horribly damaged (or even have invisible damage that could affect their structural integrity.) I just wouldn't take that chance with something that could be lifesaving for a child.

Also , several studies have shown that it is much safer for children to be buckled into their carseats when flying, because of the danger of turbulence.

(Also did you know that you will be asked to place your child on the floor/at your feet in case of an emergency landing?)

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx

http://babyproducts.about.com/b/2009/08/03/turbulence-the-biggest-reason-to-take-car-seats-on-planes.htm

If you do decide to check the carseat, make sure you gate check it..not check it withthe regular luggage. (And that way it may have a chance of being thrown on TOP of the suitcases...instead of the being buried by them.

Edited by mom2jjka

Renting a car seat is a *bad* idea-you do not know how the previous renters treated them and in some cases rentals have been known to be expired and/or involved in a crash.

If you could, I suggest getting some in-expensive seats for your children. The 5yr old, given that he can use a booster properly, as they are only safe if used properly, could use a booster. That can be a carry-on item, free of charge. For your 3yr old, because a 3yr old simply should never be in a booster as they are too young both physically and mentally for a booster to properly work, depending on his size you could get a Cosco Scenera or an Evenflo Maestro. These are both FFA approved and will install nicely on a plane :) Your LO you can carry-on her infant seat and install it, if there is an open seat. If not, you can either (a) have the flight attendents store it or place it in the over-head compartment.

Also , several studies have shown that it is much safer for children to be buckled into their carseats when flying, because of the danger of turbulence.

(Also did you know that you will be asked to place your child on the floor/at your feet in case of an emergency landing?)

:iagree: It's been a few years but in the past we have always purchased a seat for each child and taken a carseat for each one on boad with us.

I will say, the last time I did do the whole lap child thing was when my now 6yr dd was 20 months. She rode on my lap the way out. [not fun] We did have a seat for her on the way back and I used her carseat. I am very grateful. We had a rough flight. Nothing major, but it could have been much rougher. I would bring the baby's seat on the plane if there is the chance that there is an open seat for you to use. I have checked bigger car seats at the gate and in lots of garbage bags, when I had multiple car seat users.

Or you could do what I did last time. Get to the airport late, rush in having your friend who drove you in your car rush off. This was at La Gardia where you couldn't pull up to the inner curb even. Once we check our bags, I turned around and realized my 2 year old didn't have her car seat. Wonderful Sis-in-law in Cali went out and bought a car seat for us to pick us up with. :o

I don't know what I am more ashamed of, forgetting the seat or that last sentence.

I second taking your own car seats. I've rented car seats before and they were usually in horrible condition and the rental places do not guarantee that they will have them for you.

As for taking a play pen or crib, I wouldn't. It's too much to haul around in an airport and pack into a rental car. If your stroller seat will lay flat like a carriage, why not let the baby sleep in it parked beside your bed? The baby is young enough that he can't crawl out. I've done that before. I've also made my baby a bed in the floor with blankets, in a corner where he wouldn't be stepped on.

We were just at Disney 2 weeks ago, they only have the large stroller for rent, they don't lay flat, they are molded plastic. I wouldn't recommend them for a young baby.

Have a great trip!

Kim